The case for the priority of a proto-Matthew

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: The case for the priority of a proto-Matthew

Post by Giuseppe »

I have added this further point as further support for a proto-Matthean priority:

I quote Mergui:
Les nombreuses péricopes (unités narratives) qui composent les Evangiles peuvent être réduites à un très petit nombre de péricopes génériques.

...partially in answer to this point:
Paul the Uncertain wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:16 pmuntil and unless we are clear what Mark said in the first place about Jesus's family in Greek.
I give up to understand what was the point of "Mark" (author) apart from classifying him as a gentilizer (who, by definition, opposed Judaizers) just as my point is not really that proto-Matthew was the first gospel, only that his spirit (the spirit of a Judaizer) permeated the lost first gospel. If everything is reduced to a set of generic episodes (essentially: healings by Jesus), then it can't be determined the real measure an episode x of healing can be interpreted as Judaizing or Gentilizing.

Even so, more probably the original collection of little episodes of healings has a Judaizing origin, i.e. a "Matthean" spirit insofar the goal was exclusively midrashic in character, i.e. midrash for love of midrash. This becomes even more true if one adds a further point supporting a such priority. Again Mergui:

Les guérisons forment le véritable noyau des Evangiles. Les récits de la naissance et de la Passion sont secondaires.

It is relatively easy to prove that, even in Mark, the baptism and the Passion story are late additions. For example, so Reuss.

The secondary character of the Passion story is decisive to confirm the point, even assuming Markan priority (since, as I have said, the distinction between Mark and Matthew loses any meaning if the proto-gospel was only a set of generic healings).