R.I.P. Ed Parish Sanders (1937-2022)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ken Olson

R.I.P. Ed Parish Sanders (1937-2022)

Post by Ken Olson »

I haven't seen this from any official news sources yet, but word is Ed Parish Sanders died yesterday (November 26, 2022). He is best known for introducing The New Perspective on Paul (a term coined by James Dunn that Sanders did not himself use). He was arguably the most important New Testament scholar of his generation and he changed the way Christian NT scholars talked about Judaism (introducing the term covenantal nomism). He also argued that participation in Christ through baptism is the mechanism by which salvation is achieved in Paul and was a leading expert on the synoptic problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._P._Sanders

Best wishes,

Ken

ETA: The Wikipedia entry has that Sanders died on the 21st of November, not the 26th. I still have not been able to confirm this either through a news report or through someone who has personal knowledge.
MrMacSon

Re: R.I.P. Ed Parish Sanders (1937-2022)

Post by MrMacSon »

Vale E.P. Sanders

There's been acknowledgement on social media by a number of academic people who, afaik, have been attending a/the SBL conference
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

from
https://www.clementsfuneralservice.com/ ... d=26494930
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
Ed Parish Sanders
APRIL 18, 1937 - NOVEMBER 21, 2022

Ed Parish (E. P.) Sanders died peacefully at his home in Durham, North Carolina, on November 21st, 2022. He was 85 years old. Ed was born in Grand Prairie, Texas, to the late Eula Thomas Sanders and Mildred Parish Sanders. He attended Grand Prairie High School, where he was a star football player as well as an outstanding student. Ed went on to receive academic degrees from Texas Wesleyan College in Fort Worth, the Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, and Union Theological Seminary in New York City, where he studied under W. D. Davies. With generous financial support from others, he was also able to study Rabbinic Hebrew with David Daube in Oxford and Mordechai Kamrat in Jerusalem, experiences that profoundly shaped his career.

A world-renowned scholar of the New Testament, early Christianity, and late Second Temple Judaism, Ed was passionate about his research and teaching. He authored 10 books, most notably Paul and Palestinian Judaism: A Comparison of Patterns of Religion (1977; 40th anniversary edition, 2017). He also published dozens of book chapters and scholarly articles and lectured widely to academic and lay audiences. Ed taught for nearly 40 years, first at McMaster University in Canada (1966-84), then at Oxford University in England (1984-90), and finally at Duke University in Durham (1990-2005). He was deeply honored to receive the 2016 Shevet Achim Award from the Council of Centers on Jewish-Christian Relations for his “outstanding contributions to Jewish-Christian understanding.” Ed was a Fellow of the British Academy and of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and held honorary doctorates from the University of Oxford, University of Helsinki, and Southern Methodist University.

In private life Ed was an avid reader of all sorts of books, an enthusiastic sports fan and conversationalist, an adventurous traveler, lifelong gardener, devoted friend, and a loving husband, father, and grandfather. He appreciated the finer things in life, from fancy fountain pens and knives to special holiday food and drink, and loved to share his enthusiasms with family and friends. “Old-fashioned” in the best sense, he instilled in the family a sense of formality and an appreciation for traditions, and gently modeled the “right way” to do things, from planting a rose to driving a stick shift to writing an essay. He never forgot his Texas roots and enjoyed reconnecting with old friends from his high school and college days there after he retired.

Ed was pre-deceased by his parents and by his brother, Jack, who was also an accomplished New Testament scholar. He is survived by his wife of 26 years, Becky Gray; his daughter, Laura Turcotte (from a previous marriage to Becky Jill Hollingsworth); and two grandsons, Jonah and Gabriel Turcotte. A special session is being planned for the 2023 Society of Biblical Literature meeting in San Antonio to memorialize Ed and celebrate his many academic contributions. The family will hold a private memorial service in the spring.

The family is being assisted by Clements Funeral & Cremation Services, Inc. in Durham. Online condolences can be made at www.clementsfuneralservice.com

To plant a beautiful memorial tree in memory of Ed, please visit our Tree Store or plant a tree.
gryan

Post by gryan »

A Truly Great New Testament Scholar: E. P. Sanders in Memoriam
by Bart Ehrman
https://ehrmanblog.org/a-truly-great-ne ... -memoriam/