Secret Books in the Early Alexandrian Church (Besides Secret Mark)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Secret Books in the Early Alexandrian Church (Besides Secret Mark)

Post by Secret Alias »

People say that there is no precedent for "secret publications" in the Alexandrian Church. They mustn't have read Jerome here:

Origen himself in a letter written to Fabian, bishop of Rome, expresses penitence for having made erroneous statements, and charges Ambrose with over haste in making public what was meant only for private circulation.

Ipse Origenes in epistula, quam scribit ad Fabianum Romanae urbis Episcopum, poenitentiam agit, cur talia scripserit, et causas temeritatis in Ambrosium refert, quod secreto edita, in publicum protulerit: et quid adhuc ἐυρεσιλογοῦσιν, aliena esse, quae displicent?

Origen himself, in the letter which he writes to Fabianus, Bishop of the city of Rome, repents why he wrote such things, and refers to the causes of rashness in Ambrose, which he published in secret, and brought to the public.

prōferō (present infinitive prōferre, perfect active prōtulī, supine prōlātum); third conjugation, irregular

I bring out, bring forth.
Synonyms: praefero, induco, produco, affero, prōpōnō, perfero, edo
Antonyms: auferō, tollō, adimō, rapiō, ēripiō, dīripiō, arceō, abdūcō
signa proferre ― to push forward the army
aliquid in medium proferre ― to expose something publicly
aliquid in diem posterum proferre ― to postpone something until the following day
I make known, produce in public, publish, reveal.
Synonyms: praebeō, ostendō, ostentō, prōdō, indicō, prōpōnō, expōnō, prōtrahō, profiteor, vulgō, gerō, praestō, coarguō, fateor, acclārō
I appear, show myself.
Synonyms: prōcēdō, appāreō, obversor, cresco, exorior, orior, coorior
Antonyms: concēdō, decēdō, cēdō, intereō
I offer, proffer, present.
Synonyms: offerō, expōnō, praebeō, obiciō, afferō, prōpōnō, sufferō, polliceor, dōnō, condōnō, largior, moveō
I stretch out, extend.
Synonyms: extendō, prōlongō, porrigō, prōtrahō, explicō, continuō, trahō