"Peter and John and James" order of names in Luke-Acts

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

"Peter and John and James" order of names in Luke-Acts

Post by gryan »

Strange, I hand not noticed this order of names in Luke-Acts before:

Luke 8:51
When he came to the house, he didn’t allow anyone to enter in, except Peter, John, James, the father of the child, and her mother.
ἐλθὼν δὲ εἰς τὴν οἰκίαν οὐκ ἀφῆκεν εἰσελθεῖν τινα σὺν αὐτῷ εἰ μὴ Πέτρον καὶ Ἰωάνην καὶ Ἰάκωβον καὶ τὸν πατέρα τῆς παιδὸς καὶ τὴν μητέρα.

Luke 9:28 ("Words or phrases specifically attested to some degree as present in the Marcionite text, according to Roth, are in blue").
About eight days after these sayings, he took with him Peter, John, and James, and went up onto the mountain to pray.
28 Ἐγένετο δὲ μετὰ τοὺς λόγους τούτους ὡσεὶ ἡμέραι ὀκτὼ, καὶ παραλαβὼν Πέτρον καὶ Ἰωάνην καὶ Ἰάκωβον ἀνέβη εἰς τὸ ὄρος προσεύξασθαι.

9:46 An argument arose among them about which of them was the greatest. 47 Jesus, perceiving the reasoning of their hearts, took a little child, and set him by his side, 48 and said to them, “Whoever receives this little child in my name receives me. Whoever receives me receives him who sent me. For whoever is least among you all, this one will be great.” 49 John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we forbade him, because he doesn’t follow with us.” 50 Jesus said to him, “Don’t forbid him, for he who is not against us is for us.”
48καὶ εἶπεν αὐτοῖς Ὃς ἐὰν δέξηται τοῦτο τὸ παιδίον ἐπὶ τῷ ὀνόματί μου ἐμὲ δέχεται καὶ ὃς ἂν ἐμὲ δέξηται δέχεται τὸν ἀποστείλαντά με ὁ γὰρ μικρότερος ἐν πᾶσιν ὑμῖν ὑπάρχων οὗτός ἐστιν μέγας.

9:54 When his disciples, James and John, saw this, they said, “Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from the sky, and destroy them, just as Elijah did?” 55 But he turned and rebuked them, “You don’t know of what kind of spirit you are.
54 ἰδόντες δὲ οἱ μαθηταὶ Ἰάκωβος καὶ Ἰωάνης εἶπαν Κύριε, θέλεις εἴπωμεν πῦρ καταβῆναι ἀπὸ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ ἀναλῶσαι αὐτούς; 55 στραφεὶς δὲ ἐπετίμησεν αὐτοῖς. 56 καὶ ἐπορεύθησαν εἰς ἑτέραν κώμην.

22:7 The day of unleavened bread came, on which the Passover must be sacrificed. 8 Jesus sent Peter and John, saying [Marcion: said to Peter and the rest], “Go and prepare the Passover for us, that we may eat.
7 Ἦλθεν δὲ ἡ ἡμέρα τῶν ἀζύμων, ᾗ ἔδει θύεσθαι τὸ πάσχα· 8 καὶ ἀπέστειλεν Πέτρον καὶ Ἰωάνην εἰπών [Marcion: εἶπεν τῷ Πέτρῳ καὶ τοῖς λοιποῖς] Πορευθέντες [Marcion: ἀπελθόντες] ἑτοιμάσατε ἡμῖν τὸ πάσχα, ἵνα φάγωμεν.

Acts 1:13
When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James.

Acts 4:1
The priests and the captain of the temple guard and the Sadducees came up to Peter and John while they were speaking to the people.

-----------

My guess is that Luke was preparing for the "Peter and John" duo in Acts, and also echoing "James and Peter and John" in the critical text of canonical Galatians where the same duo is second and third, but, arguably, a different "James" is listed first (contra Marcion's alternative text, "Peter and James and John").