Marcionites baptized in the name of Christ

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Irish1975

Re: Marcionites baptized in the name of Christ

Post by Irish1975 »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:31 pm Here is a WIKI reference to Cyprian (the source in the OP) recognizing a creed (related to the apostles) as an integral part of the rite of baptism. The typical cults of the era were not based on a "Holy Writ" as was the Christian cult so it may be difficult to compare the ritual sacraments.

History
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostles%27_Creed#History

The ecclesiastical use of Latin symbolum for "creed"—in the sense of "a distinctive mark of Christians", from the sense of Greek σύμβολον, "a sign or token used for identification"—first occurs around the middle of the 3rd century, in the correspondence of St. Cyprian and St. Firmilian, the latter in particular speaking of the trinitarian formula as the "Symbol of the Trinity", and recognizing it as an integral part of the rite of baptism.[4] The term Symbolum Apostolicum appears for the first time in a letter, probably written by Ambrose, from a Council in Milan to Pope Siricius in about AD 390 "Let them give credit to the Symbol of the Apostles, which the Roman Church has always kept and preserved undefiled".[5][6] Ambrose's term is here referring to the Old Roman Creed, the immediate[7] predecessor of what is now known as the Apostles' Creed.[8][9] The narrative of this creed having been jointly created by the Apostles, with each of the twelve contributing one of twelve articles, was already current at that time.[6]

The Old Roman Creed had evolved from simpler texts based on Matthew 28:19,[6] part of the Great Commission, and it has been argued that this earlier text was already in written form by the late 2nd century (c. 180).[6][10][11]

Yes, the Great Commission, the Trinitarian baptismal rite, and the creeds were all integrated into one project, i.e., to reinforce that the only Christ for Christians is the Christ of the Creator. Of course there would have been other aspects to the development of a standard catholic trinitarianism, but the battle against Marcionism was primary.
Would you not expect that any intended exclusions / inclusions (eg: Marcionites (or any other "schisms"/sects) to be simply defined in some brief creedal statement during "baptism" or other rites? AFAIK we have no archeology for this stuff so its difficult to assess how things developed.
That’s exactly what the creeds accomplish: one god (not two), creator of heaven and earth, born of the virgin, etc. The base layer of the creeds is anti-Marcion.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Irish1975 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:32 am
Leucius Charinus wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:31 pm Would you not expect that any intended exclusions / inclusions (eg: Marcionites (or any other "schisms"/sects) to be simply defined in some brief creedal statement during "baptism" or other rites? AFAIK we have no archeology for this stuff so its difficult to assess how things developed.
That’s exactly what the creeds accomplish: one god (not two), creator of heaven and earth, born of the virgin, etc. The base layer of the creeds is anti-Marcion.
I'd hesitate to refer to the base layer of the creeds as "anti-Marcionite". I'd refer to this layer as the heresiological layer since the data is sourced from the dissembling Ante Nicene heresiologists. Without Justin, Irenaeus, Tertullian, Hippolytus and their "historian" Eusebius we would know nothing about Marcion.

SYNONYMS FOR dissembling

ambiguous
cagey
deceptive
false
misleading
unclear
vague
casuistic
casuistical
cunning
devious
elusive
elusory
equivocating
fugitive
greasy
indirect
intangible
lying
oblique
prevaricating
shifty
shuffling
slippery
sly
sophistical
stonewalling

ANTONYMS FOR dissembling

clear
definite
honest
truthful
direct
forthright
ready
straight
straightforward

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

mlinssen,

What I am saying is that Mark is not copying the Marcionite gospel. He does share a source. But he did not introduce the Baptist character. This character was already extant in the source that both Mark and the Marcionite author drew from.

The evidence is throughout the Marcionite gospel itself, as it references back to the baptism scene missing from that gospel. We see John referred to as the Baptist in the Question of Authority (Luke 20:1-8), a story attested in Marcion. Although we cannot say exactly what the full wording of the story was in Marcionite form, we do have paraphrased snippets preserved by Tertullian (AM 4.38.1-2) confirming the passage and the reference to John's Baptism.

Christ knew "the baptism of John, (baptisma Ioannis) whence it was." (Luke 20:4) Then why did He ask them, as if He knew not? He knew that the Pharisees would not give Him an answer; then why did He ask in vain? Was it that He might judge them out of their own mouth, or their own heart? Suppose you refer these points to an excuse of the Creator, or to His comparison with Christ; then consider what would have happened if the Pharisees had replied to His question. Suppose their answer to have been, that John's baptism was "of men," they would have been immediately stoned to death. (Luke 20:6) Some Marcion, in rivalry to Marcion, would have stood up and said: O most excellent God; how different are his ways from the Creator's! Knowing that men would rush down headlong over it, He placed them actually on the very precipice. For thus do men treat of the Creator respecting His law of the tree. But John's baptism was "from heaven." "Why, therefore," asks Christ, "did ye not believe him?" (Luke 20:5) He therefore who had wished men to believe John, purposing to censure them because they had not believed him, belonged to Him whose sacrament John was administering. But, at any rate, when He actually met their refusal to say what they thought, with such reprisals as, "Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things," (Luke 20:8) He returned evil for evil!

Note: the Marcionite version more closely resemble Matthew 21:25 than Luke 20:4, as it is the Pharisees rather than the Chief Priests, Scribes and Elders who challenge Jesus' authority.

The key point here, ignoring Tertullian's polemics, as he twists his commentary to place false motive in the Marcionite position, is that this passage goes to the very heart of the authority of Jesus himself. For the baptism in question is none other than Jesus' by the hand of John. The authority then is that which is conveyed upon Jesus, whether from heaven or merely mundane, obtained from men (compare Paul's claim in Galatians 1:1). Where this not referring to the baptism scene then there would be no need for this passage in the gospel, as Jesus would not care and would refute John, per Marcionite theology as belonging to the creator angel and not to God of the heavens. This is thus an element leftover from the source, not Marcionite.

We see this knowledge of John's baptism scene reinforced in the passage of Luke 7:16-28. Markus Vinzent rightly points out the sequence refuting John actually begins with the resurrection of the widow's only son at Nain (Luke 7:11-17), when the crowd witnessing the miracle proclaims, "A great prophet (Προφήτης μέγας) is risen up among us, and God hath visited His people." This Προφήτης μέγας is a clear reference to the role of John in the Baptism of Jesus, fulfilling Malachi 4:5. If not that then at the least it betrays knowledge of the theology and the need to counter it.

When John hears about Jesus' healing at Nain, to emphasize that they never met, John (from prison in the Marcionite account) sends his own disciples to ask Jesus, "Are you he who is to come, or shall we look for another?" [1] If John had baptized Jesus this would be a nonsensical question to ask. John would have seen the spirit descend on Jesus and would have remembered his proclaiming him the one. The Marcionite author placed this here deliberately to debunk the baptism, and to debunk the notion that John ever met Jesus.

The Marcionite writer then takes apart the elements of the Baptism scene and puts them on their head. First he has Jesus turn to the crowd and ask them "What did you go out into the wilderness (εἰς τὴν ἔρημον) to behold ?" (ἔρημος, compare, Matthew 3:1, 5; Mark 1:4-5), which of course is John. But he insults John by saying they would only see a weak reed blown around by the wind, not a strong staff of power. This same imagery it found in the OT insulting the rod of power of the Pharaoh (Ezekiel 29:6, 2 Kings 18:21 / Isaiah 36:6). The question is repeated,"But what did you go out to see?" (Luke 7:25) but this time the garments of John in the baptism story (Mark 1:6 / Matthew 3:5) are in view and coming under criticism, saying they are fine and soft for a king's palace (Herod's house I'd guess; more a house arrest of a VIP than a dungeon), not for roughing it outdoors.

The next verse (Luke 7:26-27) the question is asked a third time, "What then did you go out to see?" The follow reply of Jesus,"A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is he of whom it is written, 'Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, who shall prepare thy way before thee.'" The comparison is clear for Mark 1:2 which speaks of John, saying "as it is written (γέγραπται)," and then quotes Malachi 3:1. [2] This is of course the prophet Elijah (means "my God is YHWH") come again (e.g., Malachi 4:5) which is fully understood by the Marcionite author. But he ranks

The passage closes with Jesus declaring, "I tell you, among those born of women none is greater than John; yet he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he." (Luke 7:28, AM 4.18.8). Parsing this we can see that as elsewhere the Marcionite author juxtaposes John against Jesus. While Jesus descends into Capernaum, presumably coming directly from the heavens, John came into being more naturally, "born of women," which by inference Jesus was not. Further, with the Malachi prophecy, specifically Malachi 3:1, 4:4-5 in immediate view, John is Elijah come again, the greatest prophet (Προφήτης μέγας) of the Jewish God. But even the greatest of the God of Moses' prophets he is less than the least Christian in heaven. [3] And he becomes aware of his inferiority in the Marcionite account after word of Jesus being a great prophet reaches him, and scandalizes him, leading Jesus to say 'Blessed is he who is not be offended (σκανδαλισθῇ) in me,' (Luke 7:23), directed at John according to both Tertullian (AM 4.18.5) and Epiphanius (P 42.11.6.8).

The point here is the entire passage is a deliberate theological counter was derived from the Baptism story, with all the elements including John's imprisonment (Mark 1:14) found in the Mark's version. Even the words chosen show contact.

Mark could not have created/invented the Baptism story if the prior Marcionite gospel is already countering it element by element. The story was already extent. I argue further that the story was in the prototype used by the Marcionite author as a base, and that he simple dropped the opening verses (well reworked them in a counterpoint theological incident), but in a way where their original presence can be detected from references dependent upon the lost elements. In reality only four of the first twenty verses of Mark got "dropped" or were not addressed. [4]

This is why I say you are wrong. The internal evidence of the Marcionite gospel leaves strong evidence against your position.

Disagreeing with your conclusions, and being able to present a case, does not make one a Papist. I'd be far more careful than to try and label people who question your claims as one thing or the other in order to dismiss them without addressing the evidence. Very poor logic.

Notes:
[1] Dialogue Admantius adds that John is in prison when he makes this request, mirroring text found in Matthew 11:2-3 over that found in Luke 7:18-21. IMO Matthew seems to preserve the original text, Luke has been redacted, and in a pedantic manner.
[2] It is my view that Mark conflates two prototypes, one with an opening like in Matthew quoting Isaiah and one with an unnamed quote from Malachi, but Mark assumes is also Isaiah.
[3] This is the point of the rich man and Lazarus story of Luke 16:19-31, where a man rich in Moses is less than the poorest of Christians (Lazarus).
[4] The four missing verses not addressed are 1:1 (IMO simply versification of the prototype gospel's title), 1:3 quote of Isaiah (from the other prototype version used by Matthew, not the one used by Marcionite/Lukan author; Mark conflates both), and the temptation in 1:13-14. The Baptism scene and the description of John are addressed in chapter 7:16-28 about John, and in the question of authority in Luke 20:1-8.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:58 pm mlinssen,

What I am saying is that Mark is not copying the Marcionite gospel. He does share a source. But he did not introduce the Baptist character. This character was already extant in the source that both Mark and the Marcionite author drew from.
The character was extant prior to Mark, yes, but the role quite the opposite
The evidence is throughout the Marcionite gospel itself, as it references back to the baptism scene missing from that gospel. We see John referred to as the Baptist in the Question of Authority (Luke 20:1-8), a story attested in Marcion. Although we cannot say exactly what the full wording of the story was in Marcionite form, we do have paraphrased snippets preserved by Tertullian (AM 4.38.1-2) confirming the passage and the reference to John's Baptism.
We can't just take the FF for what they say Stuart...

Christ knew "the baptism of John, (baptisma Ioannis) whence it was." (Luke 20:4) Then why did He ask them, as if He knew not? He knew that the Pharisees would not give Him an answer; then why did He ask in vain? Was it that He might judge them out of their own mouth, or their own heart? Suppose you refer these points to an excuse of the Creator, or to His comparison with Christ; then consider what would have happened if the Pharisees had replied to His question. Suppose their answer to have been, that John's baptism was "of men," they would have been immediately stoned to death. (Luke 20:6) Some Marcion, in rivalry to Marcion, would have stood up and said: O most excellent God; how different are his ways from the Creator's! Knowing that men would rush down headlong over it, He placed them actually on the very precipice. For thus do men treat of the Creator respecting His law of the tree. But John's baptism was "from heaven." "Why, therefore," asks Christ, "did ye not believe him?" (Luke 20:5) He therefore who had wished men to believe John, purposing to censure them because they had not believed him, belonged to Him whose sacrament John was administering. But, at any rate, when He actually met their refusal to say what they thought, with such reprisals as, "Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things," (Luke 20:8) He returned evil for evil!

Note: the Marcionite version more closely resemble Matthew 21:25 than Luke 20:4, as it is the Pharisees rather than the Chief Priests, Scribes and Elders who challenge Jesus' authority.

The key point here, ignoring Tertullian's polemics, as he twists his commentary to place false motive in the Marcionite position, is that this passage goes to the very heart of the authority of Jesus himself. For the baptism in question is none other than Jesus' by the hand of John.
Oh?! How so, please do tell
The authority then is that which is conveyed upon Jesus, whether from heaven or merely mundane, obtained from men (compare Paul's claim in Galatians 1:1). Where this not referring to the baptism scene then there would be no need for this passage in the gospel, as Jesus would not care and would refute John, per Marcionite theology as belonging to the creator angel and not to God of the heavens. This is thus an element leftover from the source, not Marcionite.
The FF polemics are beyond me sometimes, they're even more convoluted than Paul at times
We see this knowledge of John's baptism scene reinforced in the passage of Luke 7:16-28. Markus Vinzent rightly points out the sequence refuting John actually begins with the resurrection of the widow's only son at Nain (Luke 7:11-17), when the crowd witnessing the miracle proclaims, "A great prophet (Προφήτης μέγας) is risen up among us, and God hath visited His people." This Προφήτης μέγας is a clear reference to the role of John in the Baptism of Jesus, fulfilling Malachi 4:5. If not that then at the least it betrays knowledge of the theology and the need to counter it.

When John hears about Jesus' healing at Nain, to emphasize that they never met, John (from prison in the Marcionite account) sends his own disciples to ask Jesus, "Are you he who is to come, or shall we look for another?" [1] If John had baptized Jesus this would be a nonsensical question to ask.
Precisely, that's why Mark leaves it out
John would have seen the spirit descend on Jesus and would have remembered his proclaiming him the one. The Marcionite author placed this here deliberately to debunk the baptism, and to debunk the notion that John ever met Jesus.
No, Marcion didn't have the baptism, and Luke Matthew foolishly put back in what Mark evidently had left out
The Marcionite writer then takes apart the elements of the Baptism scene and puts them on their head. First he has Jesus turn to the crowd and ask them "What did you go out into the wilderness (εἰς τὴν ἔρημον) to behold ?" (ἔρημος, compare, Matthew 3:1, 5; Mark 1:4-5), which of course is John.
78. said IS : because-of who/at? did you(PL) come outward to the(F) field to behold [dop] a(n) reed he move outward by-the-hand-of the wind and to behold [dop] a(n) human there-be garment they being-smooth on he in.the.manner of your(PL.PL) kings with your(PL.PL) Mighty-one these-ones the(PL) garment who/which being-smooth on they and they will be-able she/r know the(F) truth not
But he insults John by saying they would only see a weak reed blown around by the wind, not a strong staff of power. This same imagery it found in the OT insulting the rod of power of the Pharaoh (Ezekiel 29:6, 2 Kings 18:21 / Isaiah 36:6). The question is repeated,"But what did you go out to see?" (Luke 7:25) but this time the garments of John in the baptism story (Mark 1:6 / Matthew 3:5) are in view and coming under criticism, saying they are fine and soft for a king's palace (Herod's house I'd guess; more a house arrest of a VIP than a dungeon), not for roughing it outdoors.

The next verse (Luke 7:26-27) the question is asked a third time, "What then did you go out to see?" The follow reply of Jesus,"A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is he of whom it is written, 'Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, who shall prepare thy way before thee.'"
And that's a typical case of combining Thomas with "prophecy", a oosten that shows throughout my 72 logia paper
The comparison is clear for Mark 1:2 which speaks of John, saying "as it is written (γέγραπται)," and then quotes Malachi 3:1. [2] This is of course the prophet Elijah (means "my God is YHWH") come again (e.g., Malachi 4:5) which is fully understood by the Marcionite author. But he ranks

The passage closes with Jesus declaring, "I tell you, among those born of women none is greater than John; yet he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he." (Luke 7:28, AM 4.18.8).
46. IS said: starting from Adam toward Johannes the Immerser, in the births of the women there is not he who exalted to Johannes the Immerser So that his eyes will not break. I said it However: he who will come to be in you he been made little person he will know the reign of king and he will be high to Johannes.
Parsing this we can see that as elsewhere the Marcionite author juxtaposes John against Jesus. While Jesus descends into Capernaum, presumably coming directly from the heavens, John came into being more naturally, "born of women," which by inference Jesus was not. Further, with the Malachi prophecy, specifically Malachi 3:1, 4:4-5 in immediate view, John is Elijah come again, the greatest prophet (Προφήτης μέγας) of the Jewish God. But even the greatest of the God of Moses' prophets he is less than the least Christian in heaven. [3] And he becomes aware of his inferiority in the Marcionite account after word of Jesus being a great prophet reaches him, and scandalizes him, leading Jesus to say 'Blessed is he who is not be offended (σκανδαλισθῇ) in me,' (Luke 7:23), directed at John according to both Tertullian (AM 4.18.5) and Epiphanius (P 42.11.6.8).

The point here is the entire passage is a deliberate theological counter was derived from the Baptism story, with all the elements including John's imprisonment (Mark 1:14) found in the Mark's version. Even the words chosen show contact.

Mark could not have created/invented the Baptism story if the prior Marcionite gospel is already countering it element by element.
Marcion is merely ridiculing and trashing John B because he failed to recognise him
The story was already extent. I argue further that the story was in the prototype used by the Marcionite author as a base, and that he simple dropped the opening verses (well reworked them in a counterpoint theological incident), but in a way where their original presence can be detected from references dependent upon the lost elements. In reality only four of the first twenty verses of Mark got "dropped" or were not addressed. [4]

This is why I say you are wrong. The internal evidence of the Marcionite gospel leaves strong evidence against your position.
On the contrary, Marcion very strongly reaffirms my position. Marcion equals Thomas equals the Diatessaron, and the latter two are all over Thomas research - because Marcion research still is very much neglected.
Disagreeing with your conclusions, and being able to present a case, does not make one a Papist. I'd be far more careful than to try and label people who question your claims as one thing or the other in order to dismiss them without addressing the evidence. Very poor logic.
The list of my publications (1,730 + 862 + 833 + 8 pages), each accompanied by a handful of words on its contents.

Notes:
[1] Dialogue Admantius adds that John is in prison when he makes this request, mirroring text found in Matthew 11:2-3 over that found in Luke 7:18-21. IMO Matthew seems to preserve the original text, Luke has been redacted, and in a pedantic manner.
[2] It is my view that Mark conflates two prototypes, one with an opening like in Matthew quoting Isaiah and one with an unnamed quote from Malachi, but Mark assumes is also Isaiah.
[3] This is the point of the rich man and Lazarus story of Luke 16:19-31, where a man rich in Moses is less than the poorest of Christians (Lazarus).
[4] The four missing verses not addressed are 1:1 (IMO simply versification of the prototype gospel's title), 1:3 quote of Isaiah (from the other prototype version used by Matthew, not the one used by Marcionite/Lukan author; Mark conflates both), and the temptation in 1:13-14. The Baptism scene and the description of John are addressed in chapter 7:16-28 about John, and in the question of authority in Luke 20:1-8.
Read my work, Stuart. Read Vinzent's work. Read Klinghardt's work.
Easy to remember: the three M
schillingklaus

Post by schillingklaus »

The three M are just too naive to understand that the synoptics depend on lost sources, as opposed to Jean Magne who does not succumb to their simpletonistic fables.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:58 pmWe see John referred to as the Baptist in the Question of Authority (Luke 20:1-8), a story attested in Marcion.
this is a good point therefore I am expecting Vinzent's answer on this.

Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:58 pmWe see this knowledge of John's baptism scene reinforced in the passage of Luke 7:16-28. ... The Marcionite author placed this here deliberately to debunk the baptism, and to debunk the notion that John ever met Jesus.
(my red)
The proposition in red is highly controversial, since in Mark we have also traces of a physical distance between John the Baptist and Jesus. So if we want to debunk the notion that John met Jesus, we may do so even using only a Mark without the baptism.

As to the list of parallelisms you see between Mark and Marcion (=Luke 7:11-17), in particular:
Stuart wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:58 pmEven the words chosen show contact.
...that same list and similarity etc is also used by Klinghardt to argue in the opposed direction: Mark derived an entire tapestry from those few common items you have just listed.

You write:
John would have seen the spirit descend on Jesus and would have remembered his proclaiming him the one.
but both the two points are absent in Mark:
  • John didn't see the dove descending on Jesus, accordingly he ignored him;
  • John appears in the rest of Mark as if he was always distant from Jesus, and there is even a verse, Mark 2:18-22, where the John's disciples seem to be enemies of the Jesus's disciples:

18 Now John’s disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. Some people came and asked Jesus, “How is it that John’s disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees are fasting, but yours are not?

mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

schillingklaus wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:59 pm The three M are just too naive to understand that the synoptics depend on lost sources, as opposed to Jean Magne who does not succumb to their simpletonistic fables.
Are you suggesting that Marcion is not a lost source?
That Thomas wasn't a lost source?
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

mlinssen wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:42 pm

Let's take on this first pathetic failure attempt at a refutation, never mind the lack of rigor behind it. Now,

There is no evidence of John separate from the Elijah reborn prior to the gospel of John, which has John himself refute it, despite Jesus saying he is in Matthew.

You seem to have made this concept up out of whole cloth. Or rather by inverting the gospel of John version first, where John is a fellow traveler with Jesus and the unknown God to the Jews (think Jewish Christians) who worship the wrong God (see John 8:44). But the presentation in John is a refutation of Matthew, and from what seems to be an almost Cainite Gnostic frame of reference, very much more developed and derivative than what we see in Marcionism. This is really the first placement of John on that side. Marcionites and proto-Orthodox of the Synoptic gospels all presented their view of John in the light of the last prophet theology. There is no evidence the Marcionites saw John differently, and their own texts prove that.

What I demonstrated was that the Marcionite gospel, from what we know of it, through attested passages and it's remnants within Luke, produced points to directly refute a Baptism of Jesus by John scene. And to counter the Malachi/Elijah story having anything to do with Christ. This is why the Marcionite gospel says that yes, the Malachi 3:1 passage refers to John. But this John represents a lesser position than any Christian (obviously denying "Judaizing" Christians as Marcionites see; which is those who have Moses and the Prophets).

What then is Luke 7:16-28 (in Marcionite form, although this is still retained mostly in Lukan form) is countering if not John as Elijah, preaching in the wilderness?

What then is the authority of John about if not directly reflecting upon Jesus' own authority? That the Marcionite writer and editor left the scene and question in, is an example of a reference back to an event (Jesus' baptism, which sets his authority) as now a dangling incident because of the removal of the referred incident.

A couple notes for your understanding of my positions:

1) I have abandoned the position of Paul, Peter/Cephas, John/Apollos, Mark/Marcion, Philip, Andrew, Matthias/Matthew being anything other than legendary patron saints. Whatever person such legends were based on is not attached to the writings, except as inspiration for the writer. Hence I refer to "Pauline writings", "Marcionite authorship", etc, rather than assigning a person. My opinion is much the same with Patristic writings, for sure those said to be from Justin, Irenaeus, Polycarp, et al. I look at it the same as most of us look at the Gospel names.

2) The model I have settled on, is based on theological "correction" of predecessor documents. Important thing. I do not accept Q as ever existing, nor any sayings gospel, Thomas or otherwise. So arguments based on such must build a rock solid foundation for specific elements, using criteria independent of the theory (you cannot invoke the theory itself as evidence for order) to have any sway on me.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Giuseppe,

Klinghardt is wrong on this point. He has it backwards. There are no other examples of Mark building a story from other gospel elements. We have nothing like John building from synoptic parables about bridegroom and wineskins to make the wedding at Cana story. This would constitute a unique and unparalleled and unique story development technique in only one place in Mark. Whereas in the Marcionite (and Matthean and Johannine) gospel there are multiple examples of stories and importantly theological "corrections" of other gospels (or prototypes) with expanded stories. We have none in Mark. So while this would be one of several such passages in the Marcionite, it would be a unique singularity in Mark. There are some mechanical errors and sloppiness in Mark as well as a unique lookup of OT passage that also would be unique in Mark. I think it asks too much of Mark.

Now as for the Dove, you are choosing to use Mark's often awkwardness in the Greek as separation is not truly justified. There is a Dove and John did not walk out of the river the very second Jesus' head dunked under the water so he did not see. And John is not imprisoned (1:14) until after the temptation story (1:12-13)
Mark 1:9-11
In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he (this he is John) saw the heavens opened and the Spirit descending upon him like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, "Thou art my beloved Son; with thee I am well pleased."

mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Stuart wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:31 am
mlinssen wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:42 pm

Let's take on this first pathetic failure attempt at a refutation, never mind the lack of rigor behind it. Now,

There is no evidence of John separate from the Elijah reborn prior to the gospel of John, which has John himself refute it, despite Jesus saying he is in Matthew.

You seem to have made this concept up out of whole cloth. Or rather by inverting the gospel of John version first, where John is a fellow traveler with Jesus and the unknown God to the Jews (think Jewish Christians) who worship the wrong God (see John 8:44). But the presentation in John is a refutation of Matthew, and from what seems to be an almost Cainite Gnostic frame of reference, very much more developed and derivative than what we see in Marcionism. This is really the first placement of John on that side. Marcionites and proto-Orthodox of the Synoptic gospels all presented their view of John in the light of the last prophet theology. There is no evidence the Marcionites saw John differently, and their own texts prove that.

What I demonstrated was that the Marcionite gospel, from what we know of it, through attested passages and it's remnants within Luke, produced points to directly refute a Baptism of Jesus by John scene. And to counter the Malachi/Elijah story having anything to do with Christ. This is why the Marcionite gospel says that yes, the Malachi 3:1 passage refers to John. But this John represents a lesser position than any Christian (obviously denying "Judaizing" Christians as Marcionites see; which is those who have Moses and the Prophets).

What then is Luke 7:16-28 (in Marcionite form, although this is still retained mostly in Lukan form) is countering if not John as Elijah, preaching in the wilderness?

What then is the authority of John about if not directly reflecting upon Jesus' own authority? That the Marcionite writer and editor left the scene and question in, is an example of a reference back to an event (Jesus' baptism, which sets his authority) as now a dangling incident because of the removal of the referred incident.

A couple notes for your understanding of my positions:

1) I have abandoned the position of Paul, Peter/Cephas, John/Apollos, Mark/Marcion, Philip, Andrew, Matthias/Matthew being anything other than legendary patron saints. Whatever person such legends were based on is not attached to the writings, except as inspiration for the writer. Hence I refer to "Pauline writings", "Marcionite authorship", etc, rather than assigning a person. My opinion is much the same with Patristic writings, for sure those said to be from Justin, Irenaeus, Polycarp, et al. I look at it the same as most of us look at the Gospel names.

2) The model I have settled on, is based on theological "correction" of predecessor documents. Important thing. I do not accept Q as ever existing, nor any sayings gospel, Thomas or otherwise. So arguments based on such must build a rock solid foundation for specific elements, using criteria independent of the theory (you cannot invoke the theory itself as evidence for order) to have any sway on me.

Omission: Luke 3.2–4.15 was absent from the Evangelion, according to Tertullian, Marc. 4.7.1, who remarks on its abrupt beginning, “From heaven straightway into the synagogue.” Likewise, in connection with the first mention of John the Baptist in 5.31, Tertullian remarks, “From what direction does John make his appearance? Christ unexpected:
John also unexpected. With Marcion all things are like that” (Marc.
4.11.4). Here again, Faustus provides indirect testimony to the lack of this material: Augustine, Contra Faustum 32.7. Luke 3.23–31 (Jesus’ genealogy) is absent also from Gk mss W and 579.

BeDuhn on Marcion.
It would seem that you missed out on the opportunity to join the ranks of the FF, Stuart

Read Christi Thora, or the few highlights I presented here:

viewtopic.php?p=133347#p133347

The 'wilderness' obviously is a Judaicism introduced by the NT, and Marcion's John scene there pivotal to his displaying of John as failed prophet - and all of that is entirely incompatible with a prior baptism by said John of IS.
Or, as I put in in my 72 logia:

Mark didn't have Jesus meet John the Baptist, but as fortunate as storytelling goes, Luke grants Jesus the opportunity to indirectly meet and greet with John who sends his messengers to Jesus in order to verify that Jesus truly is the Messiah. Apparently, after witnessing the Holy Spirit descending from heaven on Jesus and hearing a voice from heaven say "You are my beloved Son" in Luke 3:22, John still isn't wholly convinced? Even I'd be convinced.