Are the Justin's "memories" the only serious obstacle to mlinssen's Chrestianity?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Re: Are the Justin's "memories" the only serious obstacle to mlinssen's Chrestianity?

Post by mlinssen »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:01 am I don't claim that it was so, only I ask you how can you exorcise completely the suspicion that a portion of that material preceded both Marcion and Justin.
Just look at that second link I provided: Justin isn't quoting from a text that we know, his quotes predominantly are partially Matthew, then Luke - and hardly ever Markan or Johannine

They are "verbatim enough" for sure, but never verbatim - it would seem that he just makes it all up as he goes, and the later someone uses his material to actually create the text that he is allegedly quoting.
But really, why the hell doesn't he quote his own text, or at least refer to it? And if he is using a non Marcionite text that preceded both Marcion and himself, then how come it is so very similar if not identical to the Luke and Matthew - but never either one of them - that we know?

We can hardly ever exclude anything, Giuseppe, but the likelihood of it all is infinitely small
mlinssen

Re: Are the Justin's "memories" the only serious obstacle to mlinssen's Chrestianity?

Post by mlinssen »

rgprice wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:28 am
Are the Justin's "memories" the only serious obstacle to mlinssen's Chrestianity?
No.
Oh come on Geoff, you can do better than that LOL

Or can you
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Not that I have a dog in this fight, but here is a just-updated file that provides definitions for all the "memory" nouns & verbs in Josephus, Justin, Clement & Eusebius, as well as lists all the cases of who uses them and where (this was from BibleWorks 8 & Perseus.org):

I can assure any casual reader that this will make crystal clear what each authority said in Greek (or Latin) and from the English glosses get a sense of what each was talking about.

DCH
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

DCHindley wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:17 pm Not that I have a dog in this fight, but here is a just-updated file that provides definitions for all the "memory" nouns & verbs in Josephus, Justin, Clement & Eusebius, as well as lists all the cases of who uses them and where (this was from BibleWorks 8 & Perseus.org):

(Hindley, David C) Memorandums, Remembrance & Memoirs and Outlines, in Bible, Josephus, Early Chr authors & Eusebius (revised 2023-01-05).doc

I can assure any casual reader that this will make crystal clear what each authority said in Greek (or Latin) and from the English glosses get a sense of what each was talking about.

DCH
That's "pretty priceless" David, thank you greatly. I will do some juggling with this for sure