Chrestianity, Christianity, and Judaism - and its alleged roots

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Re: Chrestianity, Christianity, and Judaism - and its alleged roots

Post by mlinssen »

lclapshaw wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:53 pm Exactly.

Only the "aliens built the pyramids" crowd is generally this nutty! :lol:
The alleged Judeo-Christian origins also serve to taboo digging into them. When on Twitter I mentioned the fierce anti-Judaism in Thomas I was immediately assaulted by a few academics who told me that such was a very dangerous thing to say

When I asked them how it was dangerous to quote Thomas logia that reject Judaic habits and accompany that with the comment that those were examples of anti-Judaism, I strangely did not receive any further response.
A block or two in return, that I did get

The usually so very Churchian Britannica has some elucidated material for a change:

What relation the followers of Jesus had to some of these groups is not clear. In the canonical Gospels (those accepted as authentic by the church) the main targets of criticism are the scribes and Pharisees, whose attachment to the tradition of Judaism is presented as legalistic and pettifogging. The Sadducees and Herodians likewise receive an unfriendly portrait. The Essenes are never mentioned. Simon, one of Jesus’ 12 disciples, was or had once been a Zealot. Jesus probably stood close to the Pharisees.
The fact that Christianity has never succeeded in gaining the allegiance of more than a small minority of Jews is more a mystery to theologians than to historians.

Even the fanboys themselves don't hesitate to soften the blow:

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/articl ... hristians/

First, the Christian view is presented:

In the earliest Gospel texts, which picture Jesus as debating issues of Jewish law with the Pharisees, no hostility is observed

LOL. Only debating instead of outright rejecting. No hostility towards the Pharisees hey? How about the woes then. Oh wait

By sometime in the first century, the New Testament redactors had clearly decided that they were no longer part of the Jewish people. Therefore, they described Jesus as disputing with all the Jews, not just some, as would be appropriate to an internal Jewish dispute

I do wonder which texts they are referring to in the first case! "Oral texts", highly likely. The website then presents the Jewish view:

At the same time, they expanded an old prayer to include an imprecation against the minim, Jews with incorrect beliefs. In this period, this could only have meant the early Jewish Christians, who observed the laws of Judaism but accepted the messiahship of Jesus. Although the rabbis continued to regard the early Christians as Jews, they reformulated this prayer in order to expel them from the synagogue, as testified to by the Gospel of John and the church fathers.

Most interestingly,

Hereafter, it is possible to trace the process of separation from the end of the first century C.E. until the period of the Bar Kokhba Revolt (132‑135 C.E.), when the tannaim outlawed the writings of the early Christians, declaring that Torah scrolls or texts with divine names copied by Christians had no sanctity. This was clearly a polemic against the Gospels, which must have been circulating in some form by now.

Does that mean, assuming that they do have their dates correct, which likely is a very big if, that Christianity could never have become Jewish at all? We all know that there is not a shred of Christianity prior to 150 CE at the very earliest.

[box=]To the rabbis, they were not Jews with incorrect views about the messiah but gentiles who claimed to be the true Israel. For this reason, the tannaim began to see the Christians as the other, not as Jews who had gone astray[/box]

Uh-huh, sure. Clear as mud

The Roman view then?

The Romans at first regarded the Christians as part of the Jewish people. When Christianity spread and took on a clearly different identity, as acknowledged by both Jews and Chris­tians, the Roman government modified its view.
The emperor Nerva (96‑98 C.E.) freed the Christians (probably including the Jewish Christians) from paying the fiscus
judaicus, the Jewish capitation tax decreed as a punishment in the aftermath of the revolt of 66‑73 C.E.

What a great lie

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscus_ ... #Abolition

I could go on, but no one seems to have an appetite for establishing Judaic origins to Christianity.
Why hasn't this fable been debunked loudly and widely?

https://brill.com/display/book/97890041 ... 48_007.xml

JEWISH ORIGINS OF CHRISTIANITY
ON THE JEWISH BACKGROUND OF CHRISTIANITY*
Daniel R. Schwartz
Any discussion of the Jewish background of Christianity may easily be organized around three historical figures, on the one hand, and three ways of defining Jews, on the other. Namely, the story of early Christianity is easily organized around the names of John the Baptist, Jesus of Nazareth and Paul, and the definition of Jews in antiquity—“Who was a Jew?”—is just as easily organized around three separate criteria: place (Jews as Judaeans), pedigree (Jews as children of Jews), and religion (Jews as adherents of Judaism, which is a complex of belief
and practice). What I would like to suggest, however briefly, is that Christianity appeared as a result of the confluence of certain processes in poles of the Jewish world represented, respectively, by John, Jesus and Paul. These processes, I will suggest, undermined the importance, for the definition of a person as being Jewish, of Jewish place, of Jewish pedigree, and also of the practical side of the Jewish religion, thus
allowing for the appearance of a type of Judaism that defines its adherents by common belief alone.
First the poles: John, Jesus and Paul are products of different parts of the ancient Jewish world. John and Jesus were both from Palestine, but from different parts: John seems to have been from the south and also to have been associated (directly or indirectly) with Qumran, Jesus was from the Galilee. Later we will see something of the different foci of these two settings

Etc blah blah.

https://www.bu.edu/religion/files/pdf/T ... -Anti-.pdf

But even Fredriksen can make sense of it, and Sanders obviously fails hard at it, while he's not too shy to explicitly mention the hilariously unfounded presumption that the Aramaic words of "Jesus" got translated into the Greek NT

No one on the face of this earth can find any trace of any Judaic roots in any of the NT, nor in the history that surrounds the alleged start of Christianity in the 1st CE.
So why then is everyone looking for a Quelle that isn't a Quelle but Q?

I have an interesting exercise in the next post
mlinssen

Q stripped from Judaism = Thomas plus variants

Post by mlinssen »

https://www.livius.org/sources/content/q-text/

I'm assuming that this reconstruction is in the ballpark, I have no idea really. But I have taken it and highlighted everything that reeks of redactions that supposedly have a Judaic character.
What is underlined has parallels with Thomas, italic is what has been found in the Greek copies of thomas

'I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly clean out his threshing floor, and gather his wheat into the barn; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.'

The temptation
Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, 'If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.'
But He answered and said: 'It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'
Then the devil took him up into the holy city, set him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to him, 'If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down. For it is written: He shall give His angels charge over you, and, In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone.'
Jesus said to him, 'It is written again, You shall not tempt the Lord your God.'
Again, the devil took him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to him, 'All these things I will give you if you will fall down and worship me.'
Then Jesus said to him, 'Away with you, Satan! For it is written, You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.'
Then the devil left Him, and behold, angels came and ministered to him

The Beatitudes
Jesus said: 'Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for my sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.'

Love your enemies
Jesus said: 'You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.'

Judging others
Jesus said: 'Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me remove the speck from your eye"; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.'

The tree and its fruits
Jesus said: 'Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them.'

The wise and foolish builders
Jesus said: 'Therefore whoever hears these sayings of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock. But everyone who hears these sayings of mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.'

The faith of the centurion
When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, pleading with him, saying, 'Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, dreadfully tormented.' And Jesus said to him, 'I will come and heal him.'

The centurion answered and said, 'Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, "Go," and he goes; and to another, "Come," and he comes; and to my servant, "Do this," and he does it.'
When Jesus heard it, he marveled, and said to those who followed, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel! "And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
Then Jesus said to the centurion, 'Go your way; and as you have believed, so let it be done for you.'
And his servant was healed that same hour.

Jesus and John the Baptist
When John had heard in prison about the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples and said to him, "Are you the Coming One, or do we look for another?'
Jesus answered and said to them, 'Go and tell John the things which you hear and see: the blind see and the lame walk; the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear; the dead are raised up and the poor have the gospel preached to them. And blessed is he who is not offended because of me.'
As they departed, Jesus began to say to the multitudes concerning John: 'What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Indeed, those who wear soft clothing are in kings' houses. But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet. For this is he of whom it is written: Behold, I send My messenger before your face, who will prepare your way before you. Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.
And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force. For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!
But to what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their companions, and saying: "We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we mourned to you, and you did not lament." For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, "He has a demon."
The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, "Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!" But wisdom is justified by her children.'

11.2-19 The cost of following Jesus
Then a certain scribe came and said to him, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."
And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head."
Then another of his disciples said to him, "Lord, let me first go and bury my father."
But Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."

Jesus sends out the seventy-two
Then he said to his disciples, 'The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.'

'Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.'

'Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food.'

'And when you go into a household, greet it. If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.'

'And as you go, preach, saying, "The kingdom of heaven is at hand.", heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.'

'And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet. Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!'

Woe on unrepentant cities
Jesus said: 'Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment than for you.
And you, Capernaum, who are exalted to heaven, will be brought down to Hades; for if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.'

'He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives Him who sent me.'

Hidden things revealed to children
Jesus said: 'I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. All things have been delivered to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.'

Then he turned to his disciples and said: 'But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear; for assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.'

The Lord's prayer
Jesus' disciples asked him how to pray, and he said to them: 'In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.'

Ask, seek, knock
Jesus said: 'Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!'

Jesus and Beelzebub
One was brought to him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and he healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. And all the multitudes were amazed and said, 'Could this be the Son of David?'
Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, 'This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.'
But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: 'Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters abroad.'

'When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. Then he says, "I will return to my house from which I came." And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.'

The sign of Jonah
Some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, 'Teacher, we want to see a sign from you.'
But he answered and said to them, 'An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and indeed a greater than Jonah is here. The queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here.'

'Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.'

'The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!'

Woe to the Pharisees
Jesus said: 'Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.'

'You love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, "Rabbi, rabbi".'

'You bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but you yourselves will not move them with one of their fingers.'

'Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous...'

'...God sends you prophets, wise men, and scribes: but some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.'

Warnings and encouragement
Jesus said: 'Do not fear. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known. Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops.'
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
Therefore whoever confesses me before men, him I will also confess before my Father Who is in heaven. But whoever denies me before men, him I will also deny before my Father Who is in heaven.'

'Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.'

'And when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.'

And he said to the disciples: 'Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.'

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.'

The coming of the Son of Man
Jesus said: 'Know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. "Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.
Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing. Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods. But if that evil servant says in his heart, "My master is delaying his coming," and begins to beat his fellow servants, and to eat and drink with the drunkards, the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him and at an hour that he is not aware of, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

'Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth? I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's enemies will be those of his own household.'

They asked him for a sign, and Jesus said: 'When it is evening you say, "It will be fair weather, for the sky is red", and in the morning, "It will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening." Hypocrites! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times!'

'Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.'

The kingdom of God
Jesus said: "The kingdom of heaven is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal till it was all leavened."

Jesus said: 'Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.'

Jesus said: 'When once the master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, "Lord, Lord, open to us," and he will answer and say to you, "Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you."

'Many will say to me in that day, `Lord, lord, have we not prophesied in your name, cast out demons in your name, and done many wonders in your name?'
And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you who practice lawlessness!'

Jesus said: 'Many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

Jesus said: 'But many who are first will be last, and the last first.'

Poor Jerusalem
Jesus said: 'O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, but you were not willing! See! Your house is left to you desolate; and assuredly, I say to you, you shall not see me until the time comes when you say, "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!"'

Parable of the great banquet
Jesus said: 'The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son, and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come. Again, he sent out other servants, saying, "Tell those who are invited, '"See, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the wedding."'
But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business. And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them. But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. Then he said to his servants, "The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding."
So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.'

Carrying one's cross
Jesus said: 'He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me. And he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me.'

Parable of the lost sheep
Jesus said: 'What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them goes astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine and go to the mountains to seek the one that is straying? And if he should find it, assuredly, I say to you, he rejoices more over that sheep than over the ninety-nine that did not go astray. Even so it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.'

Not serving two masters
Jesus said: 'No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.'

The law in the kingdom of God
Jesus said: 'And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.'

Jesus said: 'I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.'

Jesus said: ''I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.'

A brother who sins against you
Jesus said: 'If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother.'

Then Peter came to him and said, 'Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?'
Jesus said to him, 'I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.'

Jesus said to them: 'I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.'

The coming of the Son of Man
Jesus said: 'Therefore if they say to you, "Look, the Son of Man is in the desert!" do not go out; or "Look, he is in the inner rooms!" do not believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.'

'But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.'

'Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house, and let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes.'

Jesus said: 'He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.'

'Two women will be grinding together: the one will be taken and the other left. Two men will be in the field: the one will be taken and the other left.'

Jesus said: 'For wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together.'

Parable of the minas/talents
Jesus said: 'The kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey.
Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents.

'And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord's money.'

'After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them. So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, "Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them."
His lord said to him, "Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord."
He also who had received two talents came and said, "Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them."
His lord said to him, "Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord."
Then he who had received the one talent came and said, "Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours."
But his lord answered and said to him, "You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents. For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away."

Rewards for following Jesus
Jesus said to them, 'Assuredly I say to you, that in the regeneration, when the Son of Man sits on the throne of his glory, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.'

Well, there you have it: Q stripped equals Thomas, and it is obvious how Thomas inspires the related verses.
This is the pattern throughout the Synoptics: Thomas material makes it in, gets changed to some major or minor extent, and then serves as inspiration for what comes after (or sometimes before), and the latter takes two directions: "Scripture fulfilling" or "Christianity fulfilling"