Eznik of Kolb's supposed "Refutation of 'the Heretic' Marcion"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Eznik of Kolb's supposed "Refutation of 'the Heretic' Marcion"

Post by MrMacSon »

I find this second-half of the opening chapter fascinating >

Therefore, the Unknown [new, Marcionite] God sent His Son to work miracles and cure the blind and foresaw that men would be jealous and crucify him. He also knew that once crucified and buried as mortal, His Son would descend into Hell and empty it by freeing the souls which had been cast there by the Lord of the Laws and Creation.

And indeed, after the Son was crucified, he descended into Hell and freed the captive souls and took them to heaven with His Father, the God of Love. Thereupon, the Lord of Creation grew angry and darkened the skies and dressed the world in black.

The second time Jesus descended in the form of God, he opened a case against the Lord of Creation for having put him to death. When the Lord of Creation saw the Godliness of Jesus, he knew that there was a God higher than himself. Jesus levelled his charges against the Lord of Creation and demanded that the Laws which the Lord of Creation had written be the judge in their case.

When he placed the Laws between them, Jesus asked, "Did you not write, 'And who ever kills, shall die and who ever spills the blood of the righteous, his blood shall be spilled'.?" [Genesis 9:6] After the Lord of Creation acknowledged that he had written them, Jesus demanded that he surrender himself to be punished by death. Then Jesus added, "I have been more just than you to your creations," and he began to list the kindnesses he had done them. Seeing that he had been condemned by his own laws for killing Jesus, the Lord of Creation pleaded that he had killed Jesus unknowingly and offered in retribution to give Jesus all those who believe in him to take where he pleased.

After Jesus left the Lord of Creation, he appeared to Paul. He revealed to his apostle the compensation, and thereafter, Paul preached that Jesus "redeemed us for a price." This, then, is the basis of Marcion's doctrine as we have come to know it.

Jesus 'comes' a second time. He is said to have prosecuted the Jewish Lord-G-f [of the Laws] [and of Creation] !

He is said to have done so using Genesis 9:6 !!

... 5b I will demand an accounting from anyone who takes the life of his fellow man: 6 Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man his blood will be shed; for in His own image God has made mankind.

Anarchy !!

Jesus demanded that he surrender himself to be punished by death. Then Jesus added, "I have been more just than you to your creations," and he began to list the kindnesses he had done them. Seeing that he had been condemned by his own laws for killing Jesus, the Lord of Creation pleaded that he had killed Jesus unknowingly and offered in retribution to give Jesus all those who believe in him to take where he pleased.

After Jesus left the Lord of Creation, he appeared to Paul. He revealed to his apostle the compensation, and thereafter, Paul preached that Jesus "redeemed us for a price." This, then, is the basis of Marcion's doctrine as we have come to know it.

Last edited by MrMacSon on Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrMacSon

Re: Eznik of Kolb's supposed "Refutation of 'the Heretic' Marcion"

Post by MrMacSon »

MrMacSon wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:44 pm
Jesus 'comes' a second time. He is said to have prosecuted the Jewish G-D - the Lord of Laws and Creation - using Genesis 9:6 !!

... 5b I will demand an accounting from anyone who takes the life of his fellow man: 6 Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man his blood will be shed; for in His own image God has made mankind.

Anarchy !!

Jesus demanded that he surrender himself to be punished by death. Then Jesus added, "I have been more just than you to your creations," and he began to list the kindnesses he had done them. Seeing that he had been condemned by his own laws for killing Jesus, the Lord of Creation pleaded that he had killed Jesus unknowingly and offered in retribution to give Jesus all those who believe in him to take where he pleased.

Could Marcion have been influenced by Revelation 16:5-6 ??

…5 And I heard the [third] angel of the waters say: “Righteous are You, O Holy One...because You have brought these judgments. 6 For they have spilled the blood of saints and prophets, and You have given them blood to drink, as they deserve.” 7 And I heard the altar reply: “Yes, Lord God Almighty, true and just are Your judgments”…

Revelation 16 starts with

. 1... a loud voice from the temple saying to the seven angels, “Go, pour out on the earth the seven bowls of God’s wrath”

2 So the first angel went and poured out his bowl on the earth, and loathsome, malignant sores broke out on those who had the mark of the beast and worshiped its image.

3 And the second angel poured out his bowl into the sea, and it turned to blood like that of the dead, and every living thing in the sea died.

4 And the third angel poured out his bowl into the rivers and springs of water, and they turned to blood.

Then vv.5-7 as above.

Then

8 the fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and it was given power to scorch the people with fire. 9 And the people were scorched by intense heat, and they cursed the name of God, who had authority over these plagues; yet they did not repent and give Him glory.

10 And the fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and its kingdom was plunged into darkness, and men began to gnaw their tongues in anguish 11 and curse the God of heaven for their pains and sores; yet they did not repent of their deeds.

12 And the sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up to prepare the way for the kings of the East.

ie. they curse G-d Himself