Thomas, Mark, Luke, Matthew: 16 examples

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Thomas, Mark, Luke, Matthew: 16 examples

Post by mlinssen »

16 Logia for my ’72 logia’ where I draw the explicit conclusion that the order is Thomas, (Mark,) Luke, Matthew. The Thomas translation is Lambdin’s and the NT’s is WEB so it’s all very inaccurate but it’ll have to do

(47a) Jesus said, "It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to stretch two bows.
(47b) And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters; otherwise, he will honor the one and treat the other contemptuously.
(47c) No man drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine.
(47d) And new wine is not put into old wineskins, lest they burst; nor is old wine put into a new wineskin, lest it spoil it.
(47e) An old patch is not sewn onto a new garment, because a tear would result."

Mark 2:21 No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, or else the patch shrinks and the new tears away from the old, and a worse hole is made. 22 No one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine will burst the skins, and the wine pours out, and the skins will be destroyed; but they put new wine into fresh wineskins."

Luke 5:36 He also told a parable to them. "No one puts a piece from a new garment on an old garment, or else he will tear the new, and also the piece from the new will not match the old. 37 No one puts new wine into old wine skins, or else the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. 38 But new wine must be put into fresh wine skins, and both are preserved. 39 No man having drunk old wine immediately desires new, for he says, 'The old is better.'"

Matthew 9:16 No one puts a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; for the patch would tear away from the garment, and a worse hole is made. 17 Neither do people put new wine into old wine skins, or else the skins would burst, and the wine be spilled, and the skins ruined. No, they put new wine into fresh wine skins, and both are preserved."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(69a) Jesus said, "Blessed are they who have been persecuted within themselves.
(69b) It is they who have truly come to know the father.
(69c) Blessed are the hungry, for the belly of him who desires will be filled."

Luke 6:21 Blessed are you who hunger now, for you will be filled. Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh. 22 Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they exclude and mock you, and throw out your name as evil, for the Son of Man's sake. 23 Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven, for their fathers did the same thing to the prophets.

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.
(...)
10 Blessed are those who have been persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. 11 "Blessed are you when people reproach you, persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven. For that is how they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

(95) Jesus said, "If you have money, do not lend it at interest, but give it to one from whom you will not get it back."

Luke 6:34 If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive back as much.
(...)
Luke 6:30 Give to everyone who asks you, and don't ask him who takes away your goods to give them back again.

Matthew 5:42 Give to him who asks you, and don't turn away him who desires to borrow from you.

(78a) Jesus said, "Why have you come out into the desert?
(78b) To see a reed shaken by the wind?
(78c) And to see a man clothed in fine garments like your kings and your great men?
(78d) Upon them are the fine garments, and they are unable to discern the truth."

Luke 7:24 When John's messengers had departed, he began to tell the multitudes about John, "What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 25 But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft clothing? Behold, those who are gorgeously dressed, and live delicately, are in kings' courts.

Matthew 11:7 As these went their way, Jesus began to say to the multitudes concerning John, "What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? 8 But what did you go out to see? A man in soft clothing? Behold, those who wear soft clothing are in kings' houses.

(62a) Jesus said, "It is to those who are worthy of my mysteries that I tell my mysteries.
(62b) Do not let your left (hand) know what your right (hand) is doing."

Mark 4:10 When he was alone, those who were around him with the twelve asked him about the parables. 11 He said to them, "To you is given the mystery of God's Kingdom, but to those who are outside, all things are done in parables, 12 that 'seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest perhaps they should turn again, and their sins should be forgiven them.'"

Luke 8:9 Then his disciples asked him, "What does this parable mean?" 10 He said, "To you it is given to know the mysteries of God's Kingdom, but to the rest in parables; that 'seeing they may not see, and hearing they may not understand.'

Matthew 13:10 The disciples came, and said to him, "Why do you speak to them in parables?" 11 He answered them, "To you it is given to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven, but it is not given to them. 12 For whoever has, to him will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever doesn't have, from him will be taken away even that which he has. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they don't see, and hearing, they don't hear, neither do they understand

(33a) Jesus said, "Preach from your housetops that which you will hear in your ear.
(33b) For no one lights a lamp and puts it under a bushel, nor does he put it in a hidden place, but rather he sets it on a lampstand so that everyone who enters and leaves will see its light."

Mark 4:21 He said to them, "Is the lamp brought to be put under a basket or under a bed? Isn't it put on a stand?

Luke 8:16 "No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a container, or puts it under a bed; but puts it on a stand, that those who enter in may see the light.

Matthew 5:15 Neither do you light a lamp and put it under a measuring basket, but on a stand; and it shines to all who are in the house.

(6a) His disciples questioned him and said to him, "Do you want us to fast? How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?"
(6b) Jesus said, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all things are plain in the sight of heaven.
(6c) For nothing hidden will not become manifest, and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered."

Mark 4:22 For there is nothing hidden, except that it should be made known; neither was anything made secret, but that it should come to light.

Luke 8:17 For nothing is hidden that will not be revealed; nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light.

Matthew 10:26 Therefore don't be afraid of them, for there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.

(13a) Jesus said to his disciples, "Compare me to someone and tell me whom I am like."
(13b) Simon Peter said to him, "You are like a righteous angel."
(13c) Matthew said to him, "You are like a wise philosopher."
(13d) Thomas said to him, "Master, my mouth is wholly incapable of saying whom you are like."
(13e) Jesus said, "I am not your master.
(13f) Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring which I have measured out."
(13g) And he took him and withdrew and told him three things.
(13h) When Thomas returned to his companions, they asked him, "What did Jesus say to you?"
(13i) Thomas said to them, "If I tell you one of the things which he told me, you will pick up stones and throw them at me; a fire will come out of the stones and burn you up."

Mark 8:27 Jesus went out, with his disciples, into the villages of Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that I am?" 28 They told him, "John the Baptizer, and others say Elijah, but others, one of the prophets." 29 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered, "You are the Christ."

Luke 9:18 As he was praying alone, the disciples were with him, and he asked them, "Who do the multitudes say that I am?" 19 They answered, "'John the Baptizer,' but others say, 'Elijah,' and others, that one of the old prophets has risen again." 20 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered, "The Christ of God."

Matthew 16:13 Now when Jesus came into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, "Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?" 14 They said, "Some say John the Baptizer, some, Elijah, and others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets." 15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" 16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

(89) Jesus said, "Why do you wash the outside of the cup? Do you not realize that he who made the inside is the same one who made the outside?"

Luke 11:39 The Lord said to him, "Now you Pharisees cleanse the outside of the cup and of the platter, but your inward part is full of extortion and wickedness. 40 You foolish ones, didn't he who made the outside make the inside also? 41 But give for gifts to the needy those things which are within, and behold, all things will be clean to you.

Matthew 23:25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and unrighteousness. 26 You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the platter, that its outside may become clean also.

(39a) Jesus said, "The pharisees and the scribes have taken the keys of knowledge (gnosis) and hidden them.
(39b) They themselves have not entered, nor have they allowed to enter those who wish to.
(39c) You, however, be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves."

Luke 11:52 Woe to you lawyers! For you took away the key of knowledge. You didn't enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in, you hindered."

Matthew 23:14 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you shut up the Kingdom of Heaven against men; for you don't enter in yourselves, neither do you allow those who are entering in to enter.

(33a) Jesus said, "Preach from your housetops that which you will hear in your ear.
(33b) For no one lights a lamp and puts it under a bushel, nor does he put it in a hidden place, but rather he sets it on a lampstand so that everyone who enters and leaves will see its light."

Luke 12:3 Therefore whatever you have said in the darkness will be heard in the light. What you have spoken in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops.

Matthew 10:27 What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in the ear, proclaim on the housetops.

(44) Jesus said, "Whoever blasphemes against the father will be forgiven, and whoever blasphemes against the son will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven either on earth or in heaven."

Mark 3:28 "Most certainly I tell you, all sins of the descendants of man will be forgiven, including their blasphemies with which they may blaspheme; 29 but whoever may blaspheme against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation."

Luke 12:10 Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Matthew 12:31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in that which is to come.

(76a) Jesus said, "The kingdom of the father is like a merchant who had a consignment of merchandise and who discovered a pearl.
(76b) That merchant was shrewd.
(76c) He sold the merchandise and bought the pearl alone for himself.
(76d) You too, seek his unfailing and enduring treasure where no moth comes near to devour and no worm destroys."

Luke 12:33 Sell what you have and give gifts to the needy. Make for yourselves purses which don't grow old, a treasure in the heavens that doesn't fail, where no thief approaches, neither moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Matthew 6:19 "Don't lay up treasures for yourselves on the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break through and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consume, and where thieves don't break through and steal; 21 for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

(16a) Jesus said, "Men think, perhaps, that it is peace which I have come to cast upon the world.
(16b) They do not know that it is dissension which I have come to cast upon the earth: fire, sword, and war.
(16c) For there will be five in a house: three will be against two, and two against three, the father against the son, and the son against the father.
(16d) And they will stand solitary."

Mark 13:12 "Brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child. Children will rise up against parents, and cause them to be put to death.

Luke 12:51 Do you think that I have come to give peace in the earth? I tell you, no, but rather division. 52 For from now on, there will be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son, and son against father; mother against daughter, and daughter against her mother; mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law, and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."

Matthew 10:34 "Don't think that I came to send peace on the earth. I didn't come to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I came to set a man at odds against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. 36 A man's foes will be those of his own household.

(107a) Jesus said, "The kingdom is like a shepherd who had a hundred sheep.
(107b) One of them, the largest, went astray.
(107c) He left the ninety-nine sheep and looked for that one until he found it.
(107d) When he had gone to such trouble, he said to the sheep, 'I care for you more than the ninety-nine.'"

Luke 15:4 "Which of you men, if you had one hundred sheep, and lost one of them, wouldn't leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one that was lost, until he found it? 5 When he has found it, he carries it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 When he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!' 7 I tell you that even so there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine righteous people who need no repentance.

Matthew 18:12 "What do you think? If a man has one hundred sheep, and one of them goes astray, doesn't he leave the ninety-nine, go to the mountains, and seek that which has gone astray? 13 If he finds it, most certainly I tell you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine which have not gone astray. 14 Even so it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.

(65a) He said, "There was a good man who owned a vineyard.
(65b) He leased it to tenant farmers so that they might work it and he might collect the produce from them.
(65c) He sent his servant so that the tenants might give him the produce of the vineyard.
(65d) They seized his servant and beat him, all but killing him.
(65e) The servant went back and told his master.
(65f) The master said, 'Perhaps he did not recognize them.'
(65g) He sent another servant.
(65h) The tenants beat this one as well.
(65i) Then the owner sent his son and said, 'Perhaps they will show respect to my son.'
(65j) Because the tenants knew that it was he who was the heir to the vineyard, they seized him and killed him.
(65k) Let him who has ears hear."

(66a) Jesus said, "Show me the stone which the builders have rejected.
(66b) That one is the cornerstone."

Mark 12:1 He began to speak to them in parables. "A man planted a vineyard, put a hedge around it, dug a pit for the wine press, built a tower, rented it out to a farmer, and went into another country. 2 When it was time, he sent a servant to the farmer to get from the farmer his share of the fruit of the vineyard. 3 They took him, beat him, and sent him away empty. 4 Again, he sent another servant to them; and they threw stones at him, wounded him in the head, and sent him away shamefully treated. 5 Again he sent another; and they killed him; and many others, beating some, and killing some. 6 Therefore still having one, his beloved son, he sent him last to them, saying, 'They will respect my son.' 7 But those farmers said among themselves, 'This is the heir. Come, let's kill him, and the inheritance will be ours.' 8 They took him, killed him, and cast him out of the vineyard. 9 What therefore will the lord of the vineyard do? He will come and destroy the farmers, and will give the vineyard to others. 10 Haven't you even read this Scripture: 'The stone which the builders rejected was made the head of the corner. 11 This was from the Lord. It is marvelous in our eyes'?"

Luke 20:9 He began to tell the people this parable. "A man planted a vineyard, and rented it out to some farmers, and went into another country for a long time. 10 At the proper season, he sent a servant to the farmers to collect his share of the fruit of the vineyard. But the farmers beat him, and sent him away empty. 11 He sent yet another servant, and they also beat him, and treated him shamefully, and sent him away empty. 12 He sent yet a third, and they also wounded him, and threw him out. 13 The lord of the vineyard said, 'What shall I do? I will send my beloved son. It may be that seeing him, they will respect him.' 14 "But when the farmers saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, 'This is the heir. Come, let's kill him, that the inheritance may be ours.' 15 Then they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. What therefore will the lord of the vineyard do to them? 16 He will come and destroy these farmers, and will give the vineyard to others." When they heard that, they said, "May that never be!" 17 But he looked at them and said, "Then what is this that is written, 'The stone which the builders rejected was made the chief cornerstone?' 18 Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, but it will crush whomever it falls on to dust."

Matthew 21:33 "Hear another parable. There was a man who was a master of a household who planted a vineyard, set a hedge about it, dug a wine press in it, built a tower, leased it out to farmers, and went into another country. 34 When the season for the fruit came near, he sent his servants to the farmers to receive his fruit. 35 The farmers took his servants, beat one, killed another, and stoned another. 36 Again, he sent other servants more than the first; and they treated them the same way. 37 But afterward he sent to them his son, saying, 'They will respect my son.' 38 But the farmers, when they saw the son, said among themselves, 'This is the heir. Come, let's kill him and seize his inheritance.' 39 So they took him and threw him out of the vineyard, then killed him. 40 When therefore the lord of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those farmers?" 41 They told him, "He will miserably destroy those miserable men, and will lease out the vineyard to other farmers who will give him the fruit in its season." 42 Jesus said to them, "Did you never read in the Scriptures, 'The stone which the builders rejected was made the head of the corner. This was from the Lord. It is marvelous in our eyes'? 43 "Therefore I tell you, God's Kingdom will be taken away from you and will be given to a nation producing its fruit. 44 He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but on whomever it will fall, it will scatter him as dust."

(71) Jesus said, "I shall destroy this house, and no one will be able to build it [...]."

Mark 13:1 As he went out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, "Teacher, see what kind of stones and what kind of buildings!" 2 Jesus said to him, "Do you see these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone on another, which will not be thrown down."

Luke 21:5 As some were talking about the temple and how it was decorated with beautiful stones and gifts, he said, 6 "As for these things which you see, the days will come, in which there will not be left here one stone on another that will not be thrown down."

Matthew 24:1 Jesus went out from the temple, and was going on his way. His disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple. 2 But he answered them, "You see all of these things, don't you? Most certainly I tell you, there will not be left here one stone on another, that will not be thrown down."

==================================================

Well, that is it. Luke always has the most verbatim copy of Thomas and Matthew always fixes what is amiss in Mark and Luke – and he sometimes rambles on quite a bit as well. But Matthew always has the most legible copy, the semantically perfect one, and he is always farthest away from Thomas when compared to Mark or Luke. Try demonstrating Lukan Posteority in these!

A note: redaction criticism goes by the text first, not the interpretation: that is exegesis, and it is reserved to mumbling priests in empty churches