The "Anonymous" Document in the British Museum Which Confirms Marcion's Gospel Began With a Descent in Judea Author IDed

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
andrewcriddle

Re: The "Anonymous" Document in the British Museum Which Confirms Marcion's Gospel Began With a Descent in Judea Author

Post by andrewcriddle »

This passage may refer to a Marcionite interpretation of the parable of the Good Samaritan (which is set between Jericho and Jerusalem). If so this would be important evidence that Marcion's Gospel contained this parable, a matter about which scholars are uncertain.

Andrew Criddle
John2

Re: The "Anonymous" Document in the British Museum Which Confirms Marcion's Gospel Began With a Descent in Judea Author

Post by John2 »

rgprice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:45 am
Irish1975 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:07 am
rgprice wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:58 pm Yeah but.... I'm not so sure that the name Mary was in the original version of Mark.
Another decisive insight?

Take up thy Sharpie, reader. Strike out "Mary" from Mark 6:3, and replace it with "Paula" ("Sophie"? "Georgette"?).

(Sarcasm. I couldn't resist.)
Then one has to explain why John and Marcion/Luke removed the name Mary...

Well, Luke as we have it mentions Mary many times in the opening chapters, but I gather some see those chapters as being later additions.

In any event, Luke says elsewhere that Jesus had a mother (and brothers) in keeping with Mark, and that seems more important than her name as far as Marcion is concerned, because it shows that the author had no issue with the idea that Jesus had a mother.

Likewise in John, e.g. 2:1: "And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there."
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

John2 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:37 pm Well, Luke as we have it mentions Mary many times in the opening chapters, but I gather some see those chapters as being later additions.

In any event, Luke says elsewhere that Jesus had a mother (and brothers) in keeping with Mark, and that seems more important than her name as far as Marcion is concerned, because it shows that the author had no issue with the idea that Jesus had a mother.

Likewise in John, e.g. 2:1: "And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there."
Again.... Why would Luke, Marcion and John remove the name of Jesus' mother?

Yes, of course I take Luke 1-2 to be later additions, either to a "proto-Luke" or to Marcion. I think it more likely there was a "proto-Luke" and that Marcion's Gospel is derived from "proto-Luke" (which should probably really be referred to as "original Luke" not "proto-Luke").

Yes, of course Luke 3-24, Marcion and John all mention a mother of Jesus. Why do none of them giver her a name?

I think the most likely explanation is that they are all derived from a "proto-Mark" in which Jesus' mother was not given a name. Again, "proto-Mark" should more probably be thought of as "original Mark". When the four Gospel collection was produced, it is likely that the editor of the collection engaged in additional modifications and harmonization as well, he didn't just slap four stories together and give them titles, he very likely did more than this, such as write John 21, etc.
John2

Post by John2 »

rgprice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:44 pm
Again.... Why would Luke, Marcion and John remove the name of Jesus' mother?

Yes, of course I take Luke 1-2 to be later additions, either to a "proto-Luke" or to Marcion. I think it more likely there was a "proto-Luke" and that Marcion's Gospel is derived from "proto-Luke" (which should probably really be referred to as "original Luke" not "proto-Luke").

Yes, of course Luke 3-24, Marcion and John all mention a mother of Jesus. Why do none of them giver her a name?

I think the most likely explanation is that they are all derived from a "proto-Mark" in which Jesus' mother was not given a name. Again, "proto-Mark" should more probably be thought of as "original Mark". When the four Gospel collection was produced, it is likely that the editor of the collection engaged in additional modifications and harmonization as well, he didn't just slap four stories together and give them titles, he very likely did more than this, such as write John 21, etc.

Alright, but the fact remains that Jesus has a mother in all four NT gospels. Perhaps she was later named Mary and it was added in, but I don't see how that matters.
schillingklaus

Post by schillingklaus »

The mother of Jesus is an invention of Judaizing forgers and fakers.