A Simple Experiment With Paul

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
lclapshaw

Re: A Simple Experiment With Paul

Post by lclapshaw »

lclapshaw wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:38 am Opps
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

I realize that this is probably obvious to all here but I find Greek translation sources like Perseus and Wiktionary to be a little more, "ahem", trustworthy than bible sites.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

One thing that I am noticing is that the urpaul material I am finding is very short in content. Looks like a Twitter tweet, which is really what letters in the ancient world were like.

Short and to the point.
mlinssen

Berean Literal - Lane's Apostolikon version

Post by mlinssen »

lclapshaw wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:10 pm I realize that this is probably obvious to all here but I find Greek translation sources like Perseus and Wiktionary to be a little more, "ahem", trustworthy than bible sites.
I always use Middle Liddell, it isn't contaminated with NT stuff save for very, very rare ocassions

By the way, I present "Berean Literal Cleansed": I have left everything intact save for the pointers to parallels, and I have removed chapter hints like 'The Third Passion Prediction' and all that jazz. So basically this is just what Berean Literal says

A few versions then:

1. Just clean: BereanLiteralClean.TXT
BereanLiteralClean.TXT
(975.83 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
2. Clean and IC-ed: BereanLiteralClean-IC'ed.TXT
BereanLiteralClean-IC'ed.TXT
(983.15 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
3. Only the epistles for the OP: Lane'sApostolikon.TXT
Lane'sApostolikon.TXT
(156.08 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
mlinssen

1 Thess Apostolikon'd (MLINSSEN)

Post by mlinssen »

First a few rules of course.

1. All this started with and in Chrestianity, and it was a rather spiritual movement: baptism was a ritual of spiritual rebirth in which one "resurrected in the flesh", and all stuff about life and death was figurative, spiritually meant
2. Churchianity took over and "literalised it all", while
3. adding tons of Judaism in order to counter the anti-Judaism present - although Paul can be very peculiar there and the anti-Judaism gets highlighted just along with it, sorry
4. Next to that, Churchianity added religion, authority, management, worship, and all that ugly stuff that turns people into slaves of others
5. Churchianity also needed to claim priority because that is their only game: incessantly repeat that they were first, as they have nothing else to go on but hilariously preposterous falsifications and hoaxes. I'll club that together with the Churchian inventions such as virgin birth, resurrection, and so on
6. For the dumb rhetoric I use green just for fun

So I will strike what doesn't belong, and it will be marked with 2-6 so my motivation is traceable. Or better, I will highlight what doesn't belong in the colours used above

BOOK OF 1 Thessalonians
Chapter 1 Greetings to the Thessalonians
1 Paul and Silvanusa and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord ΙΣ ΧΣ: Grace to you and peace.b
2 We give thanks to God always concerning all of you, making mention in our prayers,
3 remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and unceasing labor of love, and the endurance of the hope of our Lord ΙΣ ΧΣ,
4 knowing, brothers beloved by God, your election,
5 because our gospel came to you not in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit, and with much full assurance, just as you know what we were among you on account of you.
6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation, with the joy of the Holy Spirit,
7 so as for you to became an example to all the believing ones in Macedonia and in Achaia.
8 For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and in Achaia, but in every place your faith toward God has gone abroad, so as for us to have no need to say anything.
9 For they themselves report concerning us what reception we had from you, and how you turned to God from idols, to serve the living and true God,
10 and to await His Son from the heavens, whom He raised out from the dead—ΙΣ, the one delivering us from the coming wrath.
Chapter 2 Paul's Ministry
1 For you yourselves know, brothers, that our coming to you has not been in vain.
2 But having previously suffered and having been mistreated in Philippi, just as you know, we had boldness in our God to speak to you the gospel of God amid much conflict.
3 For our exhortation was not of error, nor of impurity, nor in trickery;
4 but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God, the One examining our hearts.
5 For never at any time were we with word of flattery, just as you know, nor with a pretext for greed—God is witness—
6 nor seeking glory from men, nor from you, nor from others, though having authority with weight to be, as apostles of ΧΣ.
7 But we were gentle in your midst, as a nursing mother would cherish her own children.
8 So yearning over you, we were pleased to have imparted to you not only the gospel of God, but also our own lives, because you have become beloved to us.
9 For you remember, brothers, our labor and hardship: Working night and day in order not to burden any one of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God.
10 You are witnesses, and God, how holily and righteously and blamelessly we behaved toward you, those believing,
11 just as you know how each one of you, as a father his own children,
12 we were exhorting and comforting you and charging unto you to walk worthily of God, who calls you into His kingdom and glory.
13 And because of this, we also give thanks to God unceasingly that, having received the word of God by your hearing from us, you accepted not the word of men, but even as truly it is, the word of God, which also works in you who believe.
14 For you became imitators, brothers, of the churches of God in Judea being in ΧΣ ΙΣ. For the same as them, you also suffered from the own countrymen as they also did from the Jews,
15 who having killed both the Lord ΙΣ and their own prophets, and having driven us out, and not pleasing God, are also set against all men,
16 forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, so as always to fill up their sins. Now the wrath has come upon them to the utmost.
17 But we, having been bereaved of you, brothers, for the time of an hour—in face, not in heart—were more abundantly eager with great desire to see your face.
18 Therefore we wanted to come to you—indeed I Paul, both once and twice—and Satan hindered us.
19 For who is our hope or joy or crown of boasting? Or are not even you, before our Lord ΙΣ at His coming?
20 For you are our glory and joy.
Chapter 3 Timothy's Visit
1 Therefore, enduring no longer, we thought it best to be left in Athens alone,
2 and we sent
Timothy, our brother and fellow worker of God in the gospel of ΧΣ, in order to strengthen and to encourage you concerning your faith,
3 that no one be moved in these tribulations. For you yourselves know that we are destined for this.
4 And indeed, when we were with you, we were telling you beforehand that we are about to suffer affliction, just as also it came to pass, and you know.
5 Because of this I also, enduring no longer, sent in order to know your faith, lest somehow the one tempting had tempted you, and our labor would be in vain.
6 But presently, Timothy having come to us from you and having brought good news to us of your faith and love, and that always you have a good remembrance of us, longing to see us just as also we you,
7 because of this, brothers, we were encouraged as to you in all our distress and tribulation, through your faith.
8 For now we live, if you are standing firm in the Lord.
9 For what thanksgiving are we able to give to God concerning you in return for all the joy that we rejoice before our God because of you,
10 night and day imploring exceedingly for us to see your face and to supply the things lacking of you in faith?
11 Now may our God and Father Himself, and our Lord ΙΣ, direct our way to you.
12 And may the Lord make you to increase and to abound in love toward one another, and toward all, just as also we toward you,
13 in order to strengthen your hearts, blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord ΙΣ with all His saints. Amen.
Chapter 4 Living to Please God
1 Finally then, brothers, we implore and exhort you in the Lord ΙΣ, that just as you have received from us in what manner it behooves you to walk and to please God, just as even you walk now, so you should abound more.
2 For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord ΙΣ.
3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: You are to abstain from sexual immorality;
4 each of you to know how to win mastery over his own vessel in holiness and honor,
5 not in the passion of lust, as also the Gentiles, not knowing God;
6 not to go beyond and to overreach his brother in the matter, because the Lord is avenging concerning all these things, just as also we told you before and thoroughly warned.
7 For God has not called us to impurity, but into holiness.
8 So then, the one rejecting this does not disregard man but God, the One also giving His Holy Spirit to you.

9 Now concerning brotherly love, you have no need for me to write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God in order to love one another.
10 And indeed
you are doing this toward all the brothers, the ones in all Macedonia. But we exhort you, brothers, to abound more and more,
11 and to strive earnestly to live quietly and to attend to your own matters, and to work with your own hands, just as we commanded you,
12 so that you may walk properly toward those outside, and may have need of no one.
13 But we do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, concerning those having fallen asleep, so that you should not be grieved, just as also the rest, those having no hope.
14 For if we believe that ΙΣ died and rose again, even so, through ΙΣ, God will bring with Him those having fallen asleep.
15 For this we declare to you in the word of the Lord, that we the living, remaining unto the coming of the Lord, shall not precede those having fallen asleep,
16 because the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in ΧΣ will rise first.
17 Then we, the living remaining, will be caught away together with them in the clouds for the meeting of the Lord in the air; and so we will be always with the Lord.
18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.
Chapter 5 The Day of the Lord
1 Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need to be written to you.
2 For you yourselves fully know that the day of the Lord comes in this manner, as a thief by night.
3 For when they might say, “Peace and security,” then suddenly destruction comes upon them, as the labor pains to her having in womb; and they shall not escape.

4 But you, brothers, are not in darkness, so that the day should overtake you like a thief.
5 For you are all sons of light and sons of day; we are not of night nor of darkness.
6 So then we should not sleep as the others, but we should watch and we should be sober.
7 For those sleeping, sleep by night; and those becoming drunk, get drunk by night.
8 But we being of the day should be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and the helmet, the hope of salvation,
9 because God has not destined us for wrath, but
for obtaining salvation through our Lord ΙΣ ΧΣ,
10 the One having died for us, so that whether we might watch or we might sleep, we may live together with Him.
11 Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as also you are doing.
12 But we implore you, brothers, to appreciate those toiling among you, and taking the lead over you in the Lord, and admonishing you,
13 and to esteem them exceedingly in love, because of their work.
Be at peace among yourselves.
14 And we exhort you, brothers, to admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient toward all.
15 See that no one has repaid to anyone evil for evil, but always pursue the good also toward one another and toward all.
16 Rejoice always.
17 Pray unceasingly.
18 Give thanks in everything, for this is the will of God toward you in ΧΣ ΙΣ.
19 Do not quench the Spirit.
20 Do not despise prophecies,
21 but test all things. Hold fast to the good.
22 Abstain from every form of evil.
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved, entirely blameless at the coming of our Lord ΙΣ ΧΣ.
24 The One calling you is faithful, who also will do it.
25 Brothers, pray also for us.
26 Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss.
27 I adjure you by the Lord, this letter to be read to all the brothers.

28 The grace of our Lord ΙΣ ΧΣ be with you.a

Done with the bullshit for the day, how can anyone read this and take even a single letter of it seriously.
I will reserve the right to return and make some modifications
lclapshaw

Re: Berean Literal - Lane's Apostolikon version

Post by lclapshaw »

mlinssen wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:56 pm
lclapshaw wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:10 pm I realize that this is probably obvious to all here but I find Greek translation sources like Perseus and Wiktionary to be a little more, "ahem", trustworthy than bible sites.
I always use Middle Liddell, it isn't contaminated with NT stuff save for very, very rare ocassions

By the way, I present "Berean Literal Cleansed": I have left everything intact save for the pointers to parallels, and I have removed chapter hints like 'The Third Passion Prediction' and all that jazz. So basically this is just what Berean Literal says

A few versions then:

1. Just clean: BereanLiteralClean.TXT

BereanLiteralClean.TXT

2. Clean and IC-ed: BereanLiteralClean-IC'ed.TXT

BereanLiteralClean-IC'ed.TXT

3. Only the epistles for the OP: Lane'sApostolikon.TXT

Lane'sApostolikon.TXT
Lane's Apostolikon :D I like that! :thumbup:
lclapshaw

Re: 1 Thess Apostolikon'd (MLINSSEN)

Post by lclapshaw »

mlinssen wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:42 pm First a few rules of course.

1. All this started with and in Chrestianity, and it was a rather spiritual movement: baptism was a ritual of spiritual rebirth in which one "resurrected in the flesh", and all stuff about life and death was figurative, spiritually meant
2. Churchianity took over and "literalised it all", while
3. adding tons of Judaism in order to counter the anti-Judaism present - although Paul can be very peculiar there and the anti-Judaism gets highlighted just along with it, sorry
4. Next to that, Churchianity added religion, authority, management, worship, and all that ugly stuff that turns people into slaves of others
5. Churchianity also needed to claim priority because that is their only game: incessantly repeat that they were first, as they have nothing else to go on but hilariously preposterous falsifications and hoaxes. I'll club that together with the Churchian inventions such as virgin birth, resurrection, and so on
6. For the dumb rhetoric I use green just for fun

So I will strike what doesn't belong, and it will be marked with 2-6 so my motivation is traceable. Or better, I will highlight what doesn't belong in the colours used above

BOOK OF 1 Thessalonians
Chapter 1 Greetings to the Thessalonians
1 Paul and Silvanusa and Timothy, To the church of the Thessalonians in God the Father and the Lord ΙΣ ΧΣ: Grace to you and peace.b
2 We give thanks to God always concerning all of you, making mention in our prayers,
3 remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and unceasing labor of love, and the endurance of the hope of our Lord ΙΣ ΧΣ,
4 knowing, brothers beloved by God, your election,
5 because our gospel came to you not in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit, and with much full assurance, just as you know what we were among you on account of you.
6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation, with the joy of the Holy Spirit,
7 so as for you to became an example to all the believing ones in Macedonia and in Achaia.
8 For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and in Achaia, but in every place your faith toward God has gone abroad, so as for us to have no need to say anything.
9 For they themselves report concerning us what reception we had from you, and how you turned to God from idols, to serve the living and true God,
10 and to await His Son from the heavens, whom He raised out from the dead—ΙΣ, the one delivering us from the coming wrath.
Chapter 2 Paul's Ministry
1 For you yourselves know, brothers, that our coming to you has not been in vain.
2 But having previously suffered and having been mistreated in Philippi, just as you know, we had boldness in our God to speak to you the gospel of God amid much conflict.
3 For our exhortation was not of error, nor of impurity, nor in trickery;
4 but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God, the One examining our hearts.
5 For never at any time were we with word of flattery, just as you know, nor with a pretext for greed—God is witness—
6 nor seeking glory from men, nor from you, nor from others, though having authority with weight to be, as apostles of ΧΣ.
7 But we were gentle in your midst, as a nursing mother would cherish her own children.
8 So yearning over you, we were pleased to have imparted to you not only the gospel of God, but also our own lives, because you have become beloved to us.
9 For you remember, brothers, our labor and hardship: Working night and day in order not to burden any one of you, we proclaimed to you the gospel of God.
10 You are witnesses, and God, how holily and righteously and blamelessly we behaved toward you, those believing,
11 just as you know how each one of you, as a father his own children,
12 we were exhorting and comforting you and charging unto you to walk worthily of God, who calls you into His kingdom and glory.
13 And because of this, we also give thanks to God unceasingly that, having received the word of God by your hearing from us, you accepted not the word of men, but even as truly it is, the word of God, which also works in you who believe.
14 For you became imitators, brothers, of the churches of God in Judea being in ΧΣ ΙΣ. For the same as them, you also suffered from the own countrymen as they also did from the Jews,
15 who having killed both the Lord ΙΣ and their own prophets, and having driven us out, and not pleasing God, are also set against all men,
16 forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they might be saved, so as always to fill up their sins. Now the wrath has come upon them to the utmost.
17 But we, having been bereaved of you, brothers, for the time of an hour—in face, not in heart—were more abundantly eager with great desire to see your face.
18 Therefore we wanted to come to you—indeed I Paul, both once and twice—and Satan hindered us.
19 For who is our hope or joy or crown of boasting? Or are not even you, before our Lord ΙΣ at His coming?
20 For you are our glory and joy.
Chapter 3 Timothy's Visit
1 Therefore, enduring no longer, we thought it best to be left in Athens alone,
2 and we sent
Timothy, our brother and fellow worker of God in the gospel of ΧΣ, in order to strengthen and to encourage you concerning your faith,
3 that no one be moved in these tribulations. For you yourselves know that we are destined for this.
4 And indeed, when we were with you, we were telling you beforehand that we are about to suffer affliction, just as also it came to pass, and you know.
5 Because of this I also, enduring no longer, sent in order to know your faith, lest somehow the one tempting had tempted you, and our labor would be in vain.
6 But presently, Timothy having come to us from you and having brought good news to us of your faith and love, and that always you have a good remembrance of us, longing to see us just as also we you,
7 because of this, brothers, we were encouraged as to you in all our distress and tribulation, through your faith.
8 For now we live, if you are standing firm in the Lord.
9 For what thanksgiving are we able to give to God concerning you in return for all the joy that we rejoice before our God because of you,
10 night and day imploring exceedingly for us to see your face and to supply the things lacking of you in faith?
11 Now may our God and Father Himself, and our Lord ΙΣ, direct our way to you.
12 And may the Lord make you to increase and to abound in love toward one another, and toward all, just as also we toward you,
13 in order to strengthen your hearts, blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord ΙΣ with all His saints. Amen.
Chapter 4 Living to Please God
1 Finally then, brothers, we implore and exhort you in the Lord ΙΣ, that just as you have received from us in what manner it behooves you to walk and to please God, just as even you walk now, so you should abound more.
2 For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord ΙΣ.
3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: You are to abstain from sexual immorality;
4 each of you to know how to win mastery over his own vessel in holiness and honor,
5 not in the passion of lust, as also the Gentiles, not knowing God;
6 not to go beyond and to overreach his brother in the matter, because the Lord is avenging concerning all these things, just as also we told you before and thoroughly warned.
7 For God has not called us to impurity, but into holiness.
8 So then, the one rejecting this does not disregard man but God, the One also giving His Holy Spirit to you.

9 Now concerning brotherly love, you have no need for me to write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God in order to love one another.
10 And indeed
you are doing this toward all the brothers, the ones in all Macedonia. But we exhort you, brothers, to abound more and more,
11 and to strive earnestly to live quietly and to attend to your own matters, and to work with your own hands, just as we commanded you,
12 so that you may walk properly toward those outside, and may have need of no one.
13 But we do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, concerning those having fallen asleep, so that you should not be grieved, just as also the rest, those having no hope.
14 For if we believe that ΙΣ died and rose again, even so, through ΙΣ, God will bring with Him those having fallen asleep.
15 For this we declare to you in the word of the Lord, that we the living, remaining unto the coming of the Lord, shall not precede those having fallen asleep,
16 because the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in ΧΣ will rise first.
17 Then we, the living remaining, will be caught away together with them in the clouds for the meeting of the Lord in the air; and so we will be always with the Lord.
18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.
Chapter 5 The Day of the Lord
1 Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need to be written to you.
2 For you yourselves fully know that the day of the Lord comes in this manner, as a thief by night.
3 For when they might say, “Peace and security,” then suddenly destruction comes upon them, as the labor pains to her having in womb; and they shall not escape.

4 But you, brothers, are not in darkness, so that the day should overtake you like a thief.
5 For you are all sons of light and sons of day; we are not of night nor of darkness.
6 So then we should not sleep as the others, but we should watch and we should be sober.
7 For those sleeping, sleep by night; and those becoming drunk, get drunk by night.
8 But we being of the day should be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and the helmet, the hope of salvation,
9 because God has not destined us for wrath, but
for obtaining salvation through our Lord ΙΣ ΧΣ,
10 the One having died for us, so that whether we might watch or we might sleep, we may live together with Him.
11 Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as also you are doing.
12 But we implore you, brothers, to appreciate those toiling among you, and taking the lead over you in the Lord, and admonishing you,
13 and to esteem them exceedingly in love, because of their work.
Be at peace among yourselves.
14 And we exhort you, brothers, to admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient toward all.
15 See that no one has repaid to anyone evil for evil, but always pursue the good also toward one another and toward all.
16 Rejoice always.
17 Pray unceasingly.
18 Give thanks in everything, for this is the will of God toward you in ΧΣ ΙΣ.
19 Do not quench the Spirit.
20 Do not despise prophecies,
21 but test all things. Hold fast to the good.
22 Abstain from every form of evil.
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved, entirely blameless at the coming of our Lord ΙΣ ΧΣ.
24 The One calling you is faithful, who also will do it.
25 Brothers, pray also for us.
26 Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss.
27 I adjure you by the Lord, this letter to be read to all the brothers.

28 The grace of our Lord ΙΣ ΧΣ be with you.a

Done with the bullshit for the day, how can anyone read this and take even a single letter of it seriously.
I will reserve the right to return and make some modifications
Martijn, let's hold off a bit and later post in a manner consistent with what I have outlined. On the 27 of February.

My B-day is the 20th of that month so it'll be a delayed present. :cheers:
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Well people, Martijn and I have begun. What say you?

Are we not the modern scholars needed for this?

All ideas welcome. :)
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

My dear Wadsworth,

I like your idea. I don’t know if it will work.

I am unclear about the criteria to be followed. The term “preachy,” for example, can mean different things, and at any rate is imprecise. More problematic is that users tend to cherish idiosyncratic pet theories about christian origins, or about historicity.

Obviously, we would produce different results if we applied different assumptions about what the original purpose and form of the Paulines must have been. There can only be one such set of assumptions to govern each reconstruction, even though (I would hope) many of us are prone to entertain a variety and multiplicity of what the original purpose and form could have been.

For example, if I assume that a real Paul wrote real letters, I get one kind of result. If I assume that the first drafts were written prophetically, as divine scripture, I get a different kind of result. Either assumption is plausible. Neither is wholly convincing.

Don’t forget to bring the manuscripts. It will be a birthday to remember.

Yours sincerely,

Bobby Q. Sketpick III
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Irish1975 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:38 pm My dear Wadsworth,

I like your idea. I don’t know if it will work.

I am unclear about the criteria to be followed. The term “preachy,” for example, can mean different things, and at any rate is imprecise. More problematic is that users tend to cherish idiosyncratic pet theories about christian origins, or about historicity.

Obviously, we would produce different results if we applied different assumptions about what the original purpose and form of the Paulines must have been. There can only be one such set of assumptions to govern each reconstruction, even though (I would hope) many of us are prone to entertain a variety and multiplicity of what the original purpose and form could have been.

For example, if I assume that a real Paul wrote real letters, I get one kind of result. If I assume that the first drafts were written prophetically, as divine scripture, I get a different kind of result. Either assumption is plausible. Neither is wholly convincing.

Don’t forget to bring the manuscripts. It will be a birthday to remember.

Yours sincerely,

Bobby Q. Sketpick III
Hey Bob, I'm totally with you on all this. :cheers:

This is why I propose that we keep our results and opinions isolate until we publish on 2/27.

Just fyi, I personally consider "preachy" to be a unnecessary use of "God this, God that" in a normal conversation to hammer home a point, as preachy.

Do you have a different understanding?