A Simple Experiment With Paul

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
lclapshaw

A Simple Experiment With Paul

Post by lclapshaw »

It is somewhat obvious to me that even the so called "authentic" letters of Paul are way too long and preachy, not to mention, convoluted, to be real letters from antiquitie. But what happens when the preachy content, as well as the references to Jerusalem and Judaism are removed?

I am conducting this experiment right now and am finding discreet letter fragments that seem to be from a single individual, let's call him urpaul. The "letters" that I am doing this with are 1 and 2 Corinthians, Philippians, 1 Thessalonians, and Romans.
When I am done I will post my results in a post called Paul Kata lclapshaw.

It would be interesting to see what others here would come up with doing the same experiment independently, Paul Kata rgprice, Paul Kata mlinsen etc.

Let's give it a go and see what, if any, commonalities we come up with. :cheers:

Lane
lclapshaw

Re: A Simple Experiment With Paul

Post by lclapshaw »

Also, for simplicity, I propose that we just use the abbreviations IC and XC, but as kurios (KC) seems a given for lord/master and theta sigma for Theos I think we can safely use them.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Let's try to post our results a month from now, February 27. That will help keep everything in one place for easier reference.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

The astute observer will note that my selection of letters is alphabetical beginning with 1 Corinthians. To encourage participation in this experiment I propose that we just post 1and, perhaps 2 Corinthians to start with, and then, see if the experiment is worth pursuing. For example, I consider "Romans" all but a wash and don't wish that on anyone. :cheeky:
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Yeah. I know. R comes before T. Get a life. :tomato:

It really should be 1 Corinthians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Corinthians, Philippians, and Romans.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Excellent idea lane!
I would like to suggest that we all use the exact same source, and naturally I favour Berean - yet literal for this exercise, not interlinear at this stage: we will have differences and the Greek will only clutter

https://literalbible.com/blb.pdf
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

mlinssen wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:41 am Excellent idea lane!
I would like to suggest that we all use the exact same source, and naturally I favour Berean - yet literal for this exercise, not interlinear at this stage: we will have differences and the Greek will only clutter

https://literalbible.com/blb.pdf
Berean interlinear is my source right now but I have no objections to the literal version, at least at first. I do caution people to be aware that the literal version is motivated by Christians with a motive for their choice of translation of the Greek, and checking the original Greek to vett is a good idea.

I really look forward to Paul Kata mlinssen :cheers:
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Here's a link to the Berean interlinear to download https://interlinearbible.com/
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

What I intend to post is a English translation of the material I feel is urpaul with a link to the Berean interlinear sections that I am using as a pdf. This is so people can see why I made my decisions and can critique them.

I am also retaining the numbering system for easier reference. One line for every number.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Here is an example:

1:1 Paulus, called to be an messenger of IC XC through the will of Theos, and the brother Sosthenes,
2 To the assembly of Theos being in Corinth with all who call on the name of the master IC XC, in every place, both theirs and ours:
3 Gift to you and peace from Theos, our Father, and the master, IC XC.

1 Letter

4 I always thank the Theos of mine concerning you for the gift of Theos having been given you in XC IC,
5 that in everything you have been enriched in him, in all speech and all knowledge,
6 as the testimony about XC was confirmed in you,
7 so that you get behind in any gift making, eagerly awaiting the revelation of our master IC XC,
8 who will also sustain you until the end, blameless, in the day of the master of us, IC XC.
9 Theos is faithful, through whom you were called into the joint participation with the son of him, IC XC the master of us.
10 Now I petition you, brothers, through the name of the master of us, IC XC, that you all say the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you come together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
Berean Interlinear Sample.pdf
(30.33 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Last edited by lclapshaw on Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.