A Simple Experiment With Paul

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
lclapshaw

Re: A Simple Experiment With Paul

Post by lclapshaw »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:09 am Concerning these ideas of "base Paul" and "urPaul", I am interested in what you may find in some of his canonical letters. For myself I have serious doubts as to the historicity of Paul or that any of his epistles are genuine. I have often wondered whether "base Paul" is exemplified in the (forged) letter exchange between Paul and Seneca. That is, everything to do with Paul (and the gospels, acts, etc.) has been cobbled together as part of an elaborate historical and theological fiction liberally sprinkled with Roman political propaganda.
Well, what I think I have discovered so far is a real person writing to people in Corinth in the letter 1Corinthians. This person doesn't seem to have anything to do with XCanity however and is simply passing on dictates from some human master. This person, this urpaul as I called him, is in 1 Cor only.

Another author/editor seems to have added material to urpaul for whatever reason. This author/editor seems to exist only in 1 Cor also; urpaul and the author/editor make up about half of 1 Cor. The second half of the letter looks to be written by one or two other writers that seem to be familiar with the Gospel stories and Acts.

Half of 1 Cor, with urpaul and the first author/editor seems to be pre-Gospel while the other half seems to be post Gospel/Acts. The rest of the Pauline letters all seem to be post Gospel/Acts. This leaves us with 1 Cor as some kind of hybrid of pre and post Gospel and Acts causing me to suspect that it is the original letter.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Nice! I wish this forum would institute "likes".
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

lsayre wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:14 am Nice! I wish this forum would institute "likes".
Thanks! :cheers: