A Simple Experiment With Paul

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Re: A Simple Experiment With Paul

Post by mlinssen »

lclapshaw wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:11 pm
Irish1975 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:38 pm Obviously, we would produce different results if we applied different assumptions about what the original purpose and form of the Paulines must have been. There can only be one such set of assumptions to govern each reconstruction, even though (I would hope) many of us are prone to entertain a variety and multiplicity of what the original purpose and form could have been.
Obviously. Therein lies all the fun I guess, that we get different originals depending on different theories

Or much more fun: that we get pretty much the same originals, regardless of what we label the additions and how we classify them...
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

mlinssen wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:29 pm
lclapshaw wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:11 pm
Irish1975 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:38 pm Obviously, we would produce different results if we applied different assumptions about what the original purpose and form of the Paulines must have been. There can only be one such set of assumptions to govern each reconstruction, even though (I would hope) many of us are prone to entertain a variety and multiplicity of what the original purpose and form could have been.
Obviously. Therein lies all the fun I guess, that we get different originals depending on different theories

Or much more fun: that we get pretty much the same originals, regardless of what we label the additions and how we classify them...
Exactly! :cheers:
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Just as interesting for me will be who decides to contribute from among us. Some here cannot, under any circumstances. Personally, I don't expect more than 6 individual contributions and realistically expect only 2 - 4.

The people who do step up will probably be only myself, Martijn, and possibly rgp, Irish, and perhaps Ulan. More than that will really surprise me.

Would love it if Ken contributed! 8-)
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Oh! And MaryH! Common Mary, give it a go! 8-)
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

David? MrMacSon? Leucius?
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

SA? Stuart?
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Andrew? Common Andrew! I would love to see what you come up with! 🙂

At any rate, let's sharpen our pencils and easteregg hunt a urpaul. Then, on Feb 27 make a thread titled Paul Kata yourname and then post a link to it here.

This experiment is either going to be a bag of cats or something interesting in the way of agreement. I personally hope for the latter.

Lane
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

One final thought/request. When you post a link to your thread here please make it something like:

Paul Kata "yourname"

linktoyourthread

And please post a link to this thread in yours so that if someone comes across your thread in the wild, they can find their way here to get the big picture.

Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

lclapshaw wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:17 pm One thing that I am noticing is that the urpaul material I am finding is very short in content. Looks like a Twitter tweet, which is really what letters in the ancient world were like.

Short and to the point.
I think I have discovered urPaul's first letter.

2. PAUL TO SENECA, greeting

I received your letter yesterday with delight, and should have been able to answer it at once, had I had by me the youth I meant to send to you.

For you know when, and by whom, and at what moment, and to whom things ought to be given and entrusted.

I beg, therefore, that you will not think yourself neglected, when I am respecting the dignity of your person.

Now in that you somewhere write that you are pleased with my letter (or, write that you are pleased with part of my letter) I think myself happy in the good opinion of such a man: for you would not say it, you, a critic, a sophist, the teacher of a great prince, and indeed of all -unless you spoke truth.

I trust you may long be in health.

http://wesley.nnu.edu/index.php?id=2220

lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Leucius Charinus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:59 pm
lclapshaw wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:17 pm One thing that I am noticing is that the urpaul material I am finding is very short in content. Looks like a Twitter tweet, which is really what letters in the ancient world were like.

Short and to the point.
I think I have discovered urPaul's first letter.

2. PAUL TO SENECA, greeting

I received your letter yesterday with delight, and should have been able to answer it at once, had I had by me the youth I meant to send to you.

For you know when, and by whom, and at what moment, and to whom things ought to be given and entrusted.

I beg, therefore, that you will not think yourself neglected, when I am respecting the dignity of your person.

Now in that you somewhere write that you are pleased with my letter (or, write that you are pleased with part of my letter) I think myself happy in the good opinion of such a man: for you would not say it, you, a critic, a sophist, the teacher of a great prince, and indeed of all -unless you spoke truth.

I trust you may long be in health.

http://wesley.nnu.edu/index.php?id=2220

Does make you wonder how the author of this letter reconciled it with the monstrosities that passed as Paul's "letters" representative in the NT.

What you posted is a representation of actual letters from antiquitie. "Paul's letters" in the NT are not.