The Good Thief in Marcion knows that the kingdom of Jesus is "not of this world"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

The Good Thief in Marcion knows that the kingdom of Jesus is "not of this world"

Post by Giuseppe »

The following passage is found in Marcion and it reveals that the Good Thief knows that the kingdom of Jesus is "not of this world":

39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying,
If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying,
Dost not thou fear God, because thou art in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive things worthy of our deeds:
but this man did nothing amiss.
42 And he said unto Jesus,
Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him,
Verily I say unto thee, To day thou shalt be with me.

(Luke 23:39-43)

Which alone is sufficient to deny the truth of the titulus crucis. :cheers:

Accordingly, "Mark" (editor) eclipsed deliberately all the difference between the Good Thief and the Evil Thief, since only in this way Mark could make true the titulus crucis.
mlinssen

Re: The Good Thief in Marcion knows that the kingdom of Jesus is "not of this world"

Post by mlinssen »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:29 am The following passage is found in Marcion and it reveals that the Good Thief knows that the kingdom of Jesus is "not of this world":

39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying,
If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying,
Dost not thou fear God, because thou art in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive things worthy of our deeds:
but this man did nothing amiss.
42 And he said unto Jesus,
Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him,
Verily I say unto thee, To day thou shalt be with me.

(Luke 23:39-43)

Which alone is sufficient to deny the truth of the titulus crucis. :cheers:

Accordingly, "Mark" (editor) eclipsed deliberately all the difference between the Good Thief and the Evil Thief, since only in this way Mark could make true the titulus crucis.

Luke 23.35–42 is unattested. Tsutsui (“Das Evangelium Marcions,” 125) regards this whole passage as absent from the Evangelion. The idea 192 The Evangelion that a sizable omission occurred here in the Evangelion is based upon Epiphanius, Scholion 71, which goes directly from v. 34b to v.
44b. While Epiphanius can pass over large chunks of text between his scholia, it is quite rare for him to jump over so much text within a single notation. Yet the evidence of Tertullian shows v. 44a at least to have been present, despite Epiphanius passing over it. In fact, the thrust of Tertullian’s criticism of the omission of the short clause about casting lots from v. 34 is that Marcion should have cut out “the whole of what follows” (totus . . . exitus) in order to avoid fulfillment of Psalm 22, whose details include gathering of opponents, verbal abuse, and calling for God to deliver him if his claims be valid. So it is quite probable that the Evangelion had much of this content, and it is likely that Scholion 71 is merely a string of elements of the narrative on which Epiphanius wished to comment, rather than a verbatim copying of the text. Note the absence of v. 35a and v. 37 in a manuscript of the Bohairic Coptic version. For v. 38, cf. GPet 4.11. For the detail that the inscription posted on the stake was in “Hebrew, Greek, and Roman,” cf. John 19.20. For vv. 39–41, cf. GPet 4.13.

BeDuhn

I find it extremely unlikely that Marcion would have it, as naturally the kingdom is inside oneself - and while it certainly is not of this World because the World must burn, a resurrection is out of the question for Chrestianity