Justin Martyr: "all men are deemed worthy of becoming gods"

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
GakuseiDon

Justin Martyr: "all men are deemed worthy of becoming gods"

Post by GakuseiDon »

This is a non-Marcion, non-HJ/MJ thread, so may not be interesting for many here. I'm not making any particular argument in this thread. I just find it interesting.

Note that I love to spend time reading through ancient Christian and pagan writings (in English translation only! I have no knowledge of the ancient languages nor have I studied the subject formally) for their own sakes. I love trying to understand the minds of those who lived in the times where their gods' abode could literally be seen by looking up. You walk outside and God was staring down at you. At least the modern God has the decency to peep at you from another dimension!

Justin Martyr's Dialogue with Trypho is very long, and is Justin's reproduction of a conversation with a Jewish scholar called Trypho. Whether the conversation happened or not, or Justin's representation of it was fair, doesn't matter for this thread. It's the description of God and how all men are worthy of becoming gods that is the focus on this thread. In this, Justin's Christianity is similar to those Ebionites who thought that Jesus was Christ by election (i.e. any man who kept the commandments of God might have become the Christ) as well as gnostics (knowledge is the path to happiness.)

Justin starts of by explaining to Trypho how he became a Christian. He had run into an old man who was a philosopher, and Justin explains how he had tried every type of philosophy to find happiness: (all quotes from here: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/t ... rypho.html)

Being at first desirous of personally conversing with one of these men, I surrendered myself to a certain Stoic; and having spent a considerable time with him, when I had not acquired any further knowledge of God (for he did not know himself, and said such instruction was unnecessary), I left him and betook myself to another, who was called a Peripatetic, and as he fancied, shrewd. And this man, after having entertained me for the first few days, requested me to settle the fee, in order that our intercourse might not be unprofitable. Him, too, for this reason I abandoned, believing him to be no philosopher at all. But when my soul was eagerly desirous to hear the peculiar and choice philosophy, I came to a Pythagorean, very celebrated--a man who thought much of his own wisdom. And then, when I had an interview with him, willing to become his hearer and disciple, he said, 'What then? Are you acquainted with music, astronomy, and geometry? Do you expect to perceive any of those things which conduce to a happy life, if you have not been first informed on those points which wean the soul from sensible objects, and render it fitted for objects which appertain to the mind, so that it can contemplate that which is honourable in its essence and that which is good in its essence?' Having commended many of these branches of learning, and telling me that they were necessary, he dismissed me when I confessed to him my ignorance. Accordingly I took it rather impatiently, as was to be expected when I failed in my hope, the more so because I deemed the man had some knowledge; but reflecting again on the space of time during which I would have to linger over those branches of learning, I was not able to endure longer procrastination. In my helpless condition it occurred to me to have a meeting with the Platonists, for their fame was great. I thereupon spent as much of my time as possible with one who had lately settled in our city,--a sagacious man, holding a high position among the Platonists,--and I progressed, and made the greatest improvements daily. And the perception of immaterial things quite overpowered me, and the contemplation of ideas furnished my mind with wings, so that in a little while I supposed that I had become wise; and such was my stupidity, I expected forthwith to look upon God, for this is the end of Plato's philosophy.

But Justin was left unsatisfied. There has to be a better way! The old man then asks him about philosophy:

"'Philosophy, then,' said I, 'is the knowledge of that which really exists, and a clear perception of the truth; and happiness is the reward of such knowledge and wisdom.'

"'But what do you call God?' said he.

"'That which always maintains the same nature, and in the same manner, and is the cause of all other things--that, indeed, is God.' So I answered him; and he listened to me with pleasure...

"The cause of all other things", the unbegotten, is what makes God "God" for Justin. The old man then asks how one can know God:

"'How then,' he said, 'should the philosophers judge correctly about God, or speak any truth, when they have no knowledge of Him, having neither seen Him at any time, nor heard Him?'

"'But, father,' said I, 'the Deity cannot be seen merely by the eyes, as other living beings can, but is discernible to the mind alone, as Plato says; and I believe him.'

"'Is there then,' says he, 'such and so great power in our mind? Or can a man not perceive by sense sooner? Will the mind of man see God at any time, if it is uninstructed by the Holy Spirit?'

"'Plato indeed says,' replied I, 'that the mind's eye is of such a nature, and has been given for this end, that we may see that very Being when the mind is pure itself, who is the cause of all discerned by the mind, having no colour, no form, no greatness--nothing, indeed, which the bodily eye looks upon; but It is something of this sort, he goes on to say, that is beyond all essence, unutterable and inexplicable, but alone honourable and good, coming suddenly into souls well-dispositioned, on account of their affinity to and desire of seeing Him.'

A pure mind can see God, according to Plato. The old man then states that the world and souls are begotten, though the soul might not die:

'These philosophers know nothing, then, about these things; for they cannot tell what a soul is.'

"'It does not appear so.'

"'Nor ought it to be called immortal; for if it is immortal, it is plainly unbegotten.'

"'It is both unbegotten and immortal, according to some who are styled Platonists.'

"'Do you say that the world is also unbegotten?'

"'Some say so. I do not, however, agree with them.'

"'You are right; for what reason has one for supposing that a body so solid, possessing resistance, composite, changeable, decaying, and renewed every day, has not arisen from some cause? But if the world is begotten, souls also are necessarily begotten; and perhaps at one time they were not in existence, for they were made on account of men and other living creatures, if you will say that they have been begotten wholly apart, and not along with their respective bodies.' "'This seems to be correct.'

"'They are not, then, immortal?'

"'No; since the world has appeared to us to be begotten.'

"'But I do not say, indeed, that all souls die; for that were truly a piece of good fortune to the evil. What then? The souls of the pious remain in a better place, while those of the unjust and wicked are in a worse, waiting for the time of judgment. Thus some which have appeared worthy of God never die; but others are punished so long as God wills them to exist and to be punished.'

"'Is what you say, then, of a like nature with that which Plato in Timoeus hints about the world, when he says that it is indeed subject to decay, inasmuch as it has been created, but that it will neither be dissolved nor meet with the fate of death on account of the will of God? Does it seem to you the very same can be said of the soul, and generally of all things? For those things which exist after God, or shall at any time exist, these have the nature of decay, and are such as may be blotted out and cease to exist; for God alone is unbegotten and incorruptible, and therefore He is God, but all other things after Him are created and corruptible. For this reason souls both die and are punished: since, if they were unbegotten, they would neither sin, nor be filled with folly, nor be cowardly, and again ferocious; nor would they willingly transform into swine, and serpents, and dogs and it would not indeed be just to compel them, if they be unbegotten. For that which is unbegotten is similar to, equal to, and the same with that which is unbegotten; and neither in power nor in honour should the one be preferred to the other, and hence there are not many things which are unbegotten: for if there were some difference between them, you would not discover the cause of the difference, though you searched for it; but after letting the mind ever wander to infinity, you would at length, wearied out, take your stand on one Unbegotten, and say that this is the Cause of all. Did such escape the observation of Plato and Pythagoras, those wise men,' I said, 'who have been as a wall and fortress of philosophy to us?'

But the works of Plato and Pythagoras is found lacking. The old man describes how "certain men" (the prophets) foretold certain events and alone announced the truth, implying they correctly predicted Christ, and this can be found in the Hebrew Scriptures. Philosophers need to know this!

"'There existed, long before this time, certain men more ancient than all those who are esteemed philosophers, both righteous and beloved by God, who spoke by the Divine Spirit, and foretold events which would take place, and which are now taking place. They are called prophets. These alone both saw and announced the truth to men, neither reverencing nor fearing any man, not influenced by a desire for glory, but speaking those things alone which they saw and which they heard, being filled with the Holy Spirit. Their writings are still extant, and he who has read them is very much helped in his knowledge of the beginning and end of things, and of those matters which the philosopher ought to know, provided he has believed them

This convinces Justin to be a Christian and then he finally realises he is a philosopher:

"When he had spoken these and many other things, which there is no time for mentioning at present, he went away, bidding me attend to them; and I have not seen him since. But straightway a flame was kindled in my soul; and a love of the prophets, and of those men who are friends of Christ, possessed me; and whilst revolving his words in my mind, I found this philosophy alone to be safe and profitable. Thus, and for this reason, I am a philosopher.

Trypho responds that Justin accepts the Hebrew Scriptures but keeps none of its observances. Surely Justin is mocking God?

"This is what we are amazed at," said Trypho, "but those things about which the multitude speak are not worthy of belief; for they are most repugnant to human nature. Moreover, I am aware that your precepts in the so-called Gospel are so wonderful and so great, that I suspect no one can keep them; for I have carefully read them. But this is what we are most at a loss about: that you, professing to be pious, and supposing yourselves better than others, are not in any particular separated from them, and do not alter your mode of living from the nations, in that you observe no festivals or sabbaths, and do not have the rite of circumcision; and further, resting your hopes on a man that was crucified, you yet expect to obtain some good thing from God, while you do not obey His commandments. Have you not read, that soul shall be cut off from his people who shall not have been circumcised on the eighth day? And this has been ordained for strangers and for slaves equally. But you, despising this covenant rashly, reject the consequent duties, and attempt to persuade yourselves that you know God, when, however, you perform none of those things which they do who fear God. If, therefore, you can defend yourself on these points, and make it manifest in what way you hope for anything whatsoever, even though you do not observe the law, this we would very gladly hear from you, and we shall make other similar investigations."

Justin responds that the old commandments were set up for Jews who needed them to keep on the right side of God. But Justin has the truth now, so why does he need to observe the old commandments?

What need, then, have I of circumcision, who have been witnessed to by God? What need have I of that other baptism, who have been baptized with the Holy Ghost? I think that while I mention this, I would persuade even those who are possessed of scanty intelligence. For these words have neither been prepared by me, nor embellished by the art of man; but David sung them, Isaiah preached them, Zechariah proclaimed them, and Moses wrote them. Are you acquainted with them, Trypho? They are contained in your Scriptures, or rather not yours, but ours. For we believe them; but you, though you read them, do not catch the spirit that is in them. Be not offended at, or reproach us with, the bodily uncircumcision with which God has created us; and think it not strange that we drink hot water on the Sabbaths, since God directs the government of the universe on this day equally as on all others; and the priests, as on other days, so on this, are ordered to offer sacrifices; and there are so many righteous men who have performed none of these legal ceremonies, and yet are witnessed to by God Himself.

Trypho goes on to say that calling Christ a "god" is nonsensical, since there is only one God. How can there be another?

And Trypho answered, "We shall remember this your exposition, if you strengthen[your solution of] this difficulty by other arguments: but now resume the discourse, and show us that the Spirit of prophecy admits another God sides the Maker of all things, taking care not to speak of the sun and moon, which, it is written, God has given to the nations to worship as gods; and oftentimes the prophets, employing this manner of speech, say that 'thy God is a God of gods, and a Lord of lords,' adding frequently, 'the great and strong and terrible[God].' For such expressions are used, not as if they really were gods, but because the Scripture is teaching us that the true God, who made all things, is Lord alone of those who are reputed gods and lords. And in order that the Holy Spirit may convince of this, He said by the holy David, 'The gods of the nations, reputed gods, are idols of demons, and not gods;' and He denounces a curse on those who worship them."

Justin replies that the Hebrew Scriptures claim that ALL men are potential gods:

And when I saw that they were perturbed because I said that we are the sons of God, I anticipated their questioning, and said, "Listen, sirs, how the Holy Ghost speaks of this people, saying that they are all sons of the Highest; and how this very Christ will be present in their assembly, rendering judgment to all men. The words are spoken by David, and are, according to your version of them, thus: 'God standeth in the congregation of gods; He judgeth among the gods. How long do ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Judge for the orphan and the poor, and do justice to the humble and needy. Deliver the needy, and save the poor out of the hand of the wicked. They know not, neither have they understood; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth shall be shaken. I said, Ye are gods, and are all children of the Most High. But ye die like men, and fall like one of the princes. Arise, O God! judge the earth, for Thou shalt inherit all nations.' But in the version of the Seventy it is written, 'Behold, ye die like men, and fall like one of the princes, in order to manifest the disobedience of men,--I mean of Adam and Eve,--and the fall of one of the princes, i.e., of him who was called the serpent, who fell with a great overthrow, because he deceived Eve. But as my discourse is not intended to touch on this point, but to prove to you that the Holy Ghost reproaches men because they were made like God, free from suffering and death, provided that they kept His commandments, and were deemed deserving of the name of His sons, and yet they, becoming like Adam and Eve, work out death for themselves; let the interpretation of the Psalm be held just as you wish, yet thereby it is demonstrated that all men are deemed worthy of becoming "gods," and of having power to become sons of the Highest; and shall be each by himself judged and condemned like Adam and Eve. Now I have proved at length that Christ is called God.

These are only small snippets of a much longer argument. The back-and-forth between Justin and Trypho is interesting, and I think it reflects actual arguments between Christians and Jews at the time that Justin was writing. The references to Greek ideas by both of them as part of that debate is also interesting.
Giuseppe

Re: Justin Martyr: "all men are deemed worthy of becoming gods"

Post by Giuseppe »

Justin replies that the Hebrew Scriptures claim that ALL men are potential gods
I remember that Philo wrote the opposite: that is more easy for a god become man, than a man becomes god.
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:26 pmI remember that Philo wrote the opposite: that is more easy for a god become man, than a man becomes god.
That's interesting, Giuseppe! If you have a source for that, I'd love to read it.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

GakuseiDon wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:36 am
Giuseppe wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:26 pmI remember that Philo wrote the opposite: that is more easy for a god become man, than a man becomes god.
That's interesting, Giuseppe! If you have a source for that, I'd love to read it.
I remember well that it is a quote of Philo. Only, I should remember where I read it... :scratch:
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Giuseppe wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:54 am
GakuseiDon wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:36 am
I remember well that it is a quote of Philo. Only, I should remember where I read it... :scratch:
I'd need the proper words; I've cut the results at the first 100 characters for now, but this is what searching for "god*man*man*god" leads to

Philo-Abraham.TXT:(46) When such numbers then of such mighty evils had burst forth which that time p
Philo-Abraham.TXT:(261) And then, not concealing in their own minds their ideas of the greatness and
Philo-Abraham.TXT:(275) Thus much is sufficient to say on this subject. But God, adding to the multi
Philo-Abraham_Migration.TXT:(169) And the meaning of this injunction is as follows, "Go up, O soul,
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_I.TXT:(21) "On which day God created the heaven and the earth, and
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_I.TXT:(31) "And God created man, taking a lump of clay from the ear
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_I.TXT:(39) And God breathed into man's face both physically and mor
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_I.TXT:(43) "And God planted a paradise in Eden, in the east: and th
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_I.TXT:(53) "And the man whom he had formed," Moses says, "God place
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_I.TXT:(80) And may not they be Judah and Issachar? For the man who
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_I.TXT:(88) "And the Lord God took the man whom he had made and plac
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_I.TXT:(95) Very naturally, therefore, does God at present address c
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_II.TXT:(1) "And the Lord God said, It is not good for man to be alo
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_II.TXT:(19) "And God cast a deep trance upon Adam, and sent him to
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_II.TXT:(79) How, then, can there be any remedy for this evil? When
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_II.TXT:(81) and reason, in accordance with temperance, is likened t
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_II.TXT:(86) Moreover, the soul falls in with a scorpion, that is to
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_III.TXT:(1) "And Adam and his wife hid themselves from the face of
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_III.TXT:(7) And we must understand this in the following manner. In
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_III.TXT:(10) but it does not follow that as an impious man is disco
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_III.TXT:(33) for all things belong to God; so he who attributes any
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_III.TXT:(38) For when he had comprehended the labour of him who beh
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_III.TXT:(74) When, then, O Soul! shall you most especially consider
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_III.TXT:(78) and to find grace, is not only, as some call it, equiv
Philo-Allegorical_Interpretation_III.TXT:(203) But as God has allotted all painful things to the out
Philo-Cain_Exile.TXT:(4) And the fact of God's having passions like unto those of man follows of nec
Philo-Cain_Exile.TXT:(69) On which account the son of Gaided is called Mehel, the name which, being
Philo-Cain_Exile.TXT:(102) this royal road, which we have stated to be true and genuine philosophy,
Philo-Change_Names.TXT:(7) Do not, however, think that the living God, he who is truly living, is ev
Philo-Change_Names.TXT:(24) For he thinks it right for the wicked man to be governed by a master as
Philo-Change_Names.TXT:(26) But do not thou think that he is in the same sense a man and the man of
Philo-Cherubim.TXT:(49) For I myself, having been initiated in the great mysteries by Moses, the fri
Philo-Cherubim.TXT:(109) but to created things only inasmuch as they have the use of them? For, says
Philo-Creation.TXT:(25) this is the doctrine of Moses, not mine. Accordingly he, when recording the
Philo-Creation.TXT:(69) So then after all the other things, as has been said before, Moses says that
Philo-Creation.TXT:(134) After this, Moses says that "God made man, having taken clay from the earth
Philo-Creation.TXT:(139) And that he is superior to all these animals in regard of his soul, is plai
Philo-Divine_Things.TXT:(259) and the sacred scriptures testify in the case of every good man, that
Philo-Dreams.TXT:(1.74) Now he has shown the similitude of the soul in another passage, where he say
Philo-Drunkenness.TXT:(37) For after the wise Moses had invited the whole people of the soul to obse
Philo-Flight.TXT:(71) On which account, after Moses had already put in God's mouth this expression,
Philo-Fragments.TXT:Page 349. A. It is not possible with God that a wicked man should lose his good
Philo-Fragments.TXT:Truly the divine place is inaccessible, and one which is hard to be approached,
Philo-Fragments.TXT:It is good to begin every day with divine and holy employments, and after that t
Philo-Fragments.TXT:The mind of a wise man is the house of God, and he is called, in an especial man
Philo-Fragments.TXT:It is proper here to admire also the good will of his mother, who confessed hers
Philo-Gaius.TXT:(118) but in this case what was put in motion was not a trifle, but a thing of the v
Philo-Genesis_I.TXT:(4) What is the man who was created? And how is that man distinguished who was m
Philo-Genesis_I.TXT:(8) Why did God place man whom he had created in the Paradise, but not that man
Philo-Genesis_I.TXT:(21) Why does Moses say, "He brought the animals to Adam, that he might see what
Philo-Genesis_I.TXT:(45) Why God asks Adam, "Where art thou?" when he knows everything: and why he d
Philo-Genesis_I.TXT:(47) Why God curses the serpent first, then the woman, and the man last of all?
Philo-Genesis_I.TXT:(50) Why God, as he had pronounced a curse on the serpent and on the woman which
Philo-Genesis_I.TXT:(53) Why God made garments of skins for Adam and his wife, and clothed them? (#G
Philo-Genesis_I.TXT:(54) Who those beings are to whom God says, "Behold, Adam has become as one of u
Philo-Genesis_I.TXT:(55) What is the meaning of the words, "Lest perchance he put forth his hand and
Philo-Genesis_I.TXT:(61) Why, when he had begun with Cain, he still mentions him here in the second
Binary file Philo-Genesis_I.TXT matches
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(4) Why does God command the ark to be smeared with pitch, both on the inside a
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(5) Why did God give the measures of the ark in the following manner; the lengt
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(16) Why does he say: "Noah did every thing which the Lord commanded (or ordere
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(45) Why in the six hundred and first year of the life of Noah, and on the firs
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(48) Why was it that after the earth was dried, Noah did not depart out of the
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(50) Why did Noah build an altar without having been commanded to do so? (#Ge 8
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(56) Why was it that God, blessing Noah and his sons, said, "Increase, and mult
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(58) What is the meaning of the expression, "As the green herb I have given you
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(59) What is the meaning of the expression, "You shall not eat flesh in the blo
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(62) Why is it that he speaks as if of some other god, saying that he made man
Philo-Genesis_II.TXT:(75) Why did Noah when praying for Shem speak thus: "Blessed is the Lord God, t
Binary file Philo-Genesis_II.TXT matches
Philo-Genesis_III.TXT:(1) What is the meaning of the expression, "I am the Lord thy God who brought
Philo-Genesis_III.TXT:(39) Why when he was ninety and nine years old does the sacred writer say, "Th
Philo-Genesis_III.TXT:(40) What is the meaning of, "Do thou please me, and keep thyself from stain,
Philo-Genesis_III.TXT:(41) What is the meaning of, "Abraham fell on his face?" (#Ge 17:3). The prese
Philo-Genesis_III.TXT:(42) What is the meaning of, "And God conversed with him, saying, And I, behol
Philo-Genesis_III.TXT:(43) What is the meaning of, "Thy name shall not be called Abram, but Abraham
Philo-Genesis_III.TXT:(44) What is the meaning of, "I will greatly increase thee, and set thee among
Philo-Genesis_III.TXT:(56) Why did Abraham appear to hesitate about the promise, for the sacred writ
Philo-Giants.TXT:(64) But if the God of the world, being the only God, is also by especial favour th
Philo-Joseph.TXT:XXI. And when the king had heard these words, and had seen that the interpretation
Philo-Joseph.TXT:XL. After this he had recourse to a reconciliation and agreement with his brethren,
Philo-Laws_II.TXT:(174) In addition to these things, we should not fail to pay our regard to benefac
Philo-Laws_II.TXT:(224) Having already spoken of four commandments which, both as to the order in wh
Philo-Laws_IV.TXT:XXIV. For the essence of the soul of man is the breath of God, especially if we fo
Philo-Mating.TXT:(86) "And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and
Philo-Mating.TXT:(170) Does not, then, the prophetic word, by name Moses, very rightly speak in dign
Philo-Moses_I.TXT:(83) But though he believed the words of God, nevertheless he tried to avoid the o
Philo-Moses_II.TXT:(67) Therefore he, with a few other men, was dear to God and devoted to God, bein
Philo-Noah.TXT:(19) For, says Moses, "God breathed into man's face the breath of Life,"{4}{#ge 2:7.}
Philo-Providence.TXT:(6) So in the same manner, God, how is the father of all rational understanding
Philo-Providence.TXT:(44) And if at times these things do injure those who put to sea or who till th
Philo-Providence_Fragment.TXT:Why, then, does he use the expression, "In the image of God I made Man
Philo-Tongues.TXT:(24) "For," says Moses, "the Lord God, seeing that the wickedness of men were mult
Philo-Tongues.TXT:(98) But he says that the world perceptible to the outward senses is, as it were,
Philo-Tongues.TXT:(146) And even if there be not as yet any one who is worthy to be called a son of
Philo-Tongues.TXT:(169) for there, too, Moses records that "the Lord God said, Come, let us now make
Philo-Tongues.TXT:(179) Very appropriately therefore has God attributed the creation of this being,
Philo-Treatise_World.TXT:I. There is no existing thing equal in honour to God, but he is the one Rul
Philo-Treatise_World.TXT:VI. Having now, therefore, gone through the whole question of the more impo
Binary file Philo-Treatise_World.TXT matches
Philo-Unchangeable_God.TXT:(69) and therefore it is that it appears to me that with these two princi
Binary file Philo-Unchangeable_God.TXT matches
Philo-Virtues.TXT:(172) Why so, because in the first place, haughty arrogance is a vice of the soul;
Philo-Worse_Better.TXT:(84) On this account, Moses represents God as calling the blood the life of t
Philo-Worse_Better.TXT:(139) On which account Moses, after he had previously mentioned with respect
Philo-Worse_Better.TXT:(162) What then is inferred from these facts? Why, that the wise man is calle
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Thanks, mlinssen! Not sure if this is what Giuseppe meant, but from your list I found this in Philo's [/i]On the Confusion of Tongues[/i]:
http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/text ... ook15.html

Accordingly, it is natural for those who have this disposition of soul to look upon nothing as beautiful except what is good, which is the citadel erected by those who are experienced in this kind of warfare as a defence against the end of pleasure, and as a means of defeating and destroying it. (146) And even if there be not as yet any one who is worthy to be called a son of God, nevertheless let him labour earnestly to be adorned according to his first-born word, the eldest of his angels, as the great archangel of many names; for he is called, the authority, and the name of God, and the Word, and man according to God's image, and he who sees Israel. (147) For which reason I was induced a little while ago to praise the principles of those who said, "We are all one man's Sons."{43}{#ge 42:11.} For even if we are not yet suitable to be called the sons of God, still we may deserve to be called the children of his eternal image, of his most sacred word; for the image of God is his most ancient word.

Some ideas there similar to Justin's view, and indeed other early Christians.
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

The term "god" was used for various beings by pagans, Jews and Christians. Many supernatural beings were titled "gods". As Justin noted in my quotes above, people who had the power of life and death over others (like judges) were like gods.

For Jews and Christians, there were many gods but only one Creator God. Pagans, Jews and Christians alike believed that the pagan gods existed, however for Jews and Christians they were daemons who were deceiving people so those gods were unworthy of respect. The Romans were a little more nuanced about their gods. Some believed the gods of Homer were fiction while there was a real Jupiter behind all the stories. So I suspect the Roman Emperor and the Senate may have been a little more sympathetic to the ideas that the stories about Jupiter behaving inappropriately being at least fiction.

Justin writes in his First Apology to the pagans:

And what kind of deeds are recorded of each of these reputed sons of Jupiter, it is needless to tell to those who already know. This only shall be said, that they are written for the advantage and encouragement of youthful scholars; for all reckon it an honourable thing to imitate the gods. But far be such a thought concerning the gods from every well-conditioned soul, as to believe that Jupiter himself, the governor and creator of all things, was both a parricide and the son of a parricide, and that being overcome by the love of base and shameful pleasures, he came in to Ganymede and those many women whom he had violated and that his sons did like actions. But, as we said above, wicked devils perpetrated these things.

In this, Justin invokes a similar argument against the pagan gods that Marcion used against the Old Testament God: they were unworthy of being called gods, so there must be some other God worthy of worship.

Nor do I think that's a coincidence. There was a definite move towards rejecting the old tribal gods of the Romans and the Jews with their jealousies and shortcomings, towards a more remote and philosophically acceptable benevolent god. Philo, Marcion and Justin had their own individual approaches towards this for the Jewish God.

Justin describes this God thusly:

But we have received by tradition that God does not need the material offerings which men can give, seeing, indeed, that He Himself is the provider of all things. And we have been taught, and are convinced, and do believe, that He accepts those only who imitate the excellences which reside in Him, temperance, and justice, and philanthropy, and as many virtues as are peculiar to a God who is called by no proper name. And we have been taught that He in the beginning did of His goodness, for man's sake, create all things out of unformed matter; and if men by their works show themselves worthy of this His design, they are deemed worthy, and so we have received--of reigning in company with Him, being delivered from corruption and suffering.

The Old Testament God doesn't need offerings from men? Justin's God is more like Marcion's Unknown God than the Old Testament one.

Justin spends a lot of time in the First Apology justifying why Christians worship Christ, and that worship makes Christians good people who don't deserve punishment based on a name.