'The Corinthian Correspondence: Redaction, Rhetoric, and History,' by Frank W. Hughes and Robert Jewett

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Re: 'The Corinthian Correspondence: Redaction, Rhetoric, and History,' by Frank W. Hughes and Robert Jewett

Post by neilgodfrey »

Has anyone attempted to present a case that the patch-work character of the epistles is arguably the result of persons artificially creating the letters from various other writings identifiable in writings of Justin and others, along with a dash of scribal creativity?
lclapshaw

Re: 'The Corinthian Correspondence: Redaction, Rhetoric, and History,' by Frank W. Hughes and Robert Jewett

Post by lclapshaw »

neilgodfrey wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:15 pm Has anyone attempted to present a case that the patch-work character of the epistles is arguably the result of persons artificially creating the letters from various other writings identifiable in writings of Justin and others, along with a dash of scribal creativity?
No. Not that I know of. But, that is my take on it.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

lclapshaw wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:40 pm
neilgodfrey wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:15 pm Has anyone attempted to present a case that the patch-work character of the epistles is arguably the result of persons artificially creating the letters from various other writings identifiable in writings of Justin and others, along with a dash of scribal creativity?
Have you raised your view with others? What have been their responses?
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

neilgodfrey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:00 pm
Working on it right now viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10382
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

lclapshaw wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:25 pm
Ouch. Oh. I am not ready to contribute to that, I regret. I want first to pore through Justin (for starters) to see what he wrote that overlaps with Paul and then see where that takes us. Do you know if anyone has done that already? Surely someone must have produced a list of Justin's work annotated with Paul's letter references.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

neilgodfrey wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:20 pm
lclapshaw wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:25 pm
Ouch. Oh. I am not ready to contribute to that, I regret. I want first to pore through Justin (for starters) to see what he wrote that overlaps with Paul and then see where that takes us. Do you know if anyone has done that already? Surely someone must have produced a list of Justin's work annotated with Paul's letter references.
Quite alright, I'll be posting my results in a week. Check for urpaul Kata lclapshaw on the 27th. Good luck with your search. 🙂
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Neil, I found this old thread. viewtopic.php?t=494
Also, Google Paul in the writings of Justin Martyr.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

lclapshaw wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:01 am Neil, I found this old thread. viewtopic.php?t=494
Also, Google Paul in the writings of Justin Martyr.
Thank you. That gives me a nice little cache to start with.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Any time, get ready to read something you posted almost ten years ago tho. :D