Markus Vinzent's claim about Marcion

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Markus Vinzent's claim about Marcion

Post by Peter Kirby »

rgprice wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:05 pm the darling...
Also, not necessarily? It might not be handled well.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

It's impossible to allude to the subject obliquely without being possibly misunderstood, so let me try to make it clear now by saying that I am in no way making light of transgender identities in any of my posts.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I am not joking about the sex thing. When I was young I was very high and for some reason attending a psychic fair in Toronto and I ran into the Raelian cult booth. The religion was founded by a racecar driver and he basically hired strippers to become "evangelists" for his new religion. I was of course struck by the swastika inside of a mogen dovid. It was like von Daniken ideas with orgies (because as it turns out their religious meetings were rather licentious. When I got fired from my insurance job and joint an entertainment agency on King St my employer had this one account from the stone ages which still hired strippers for their convention. I was 20 or 21 and the boss gave me his car to find some new dancers. I went to the House of Lancaster and sure enough one of the French Canadians (back in the day most of the dancers in Toronto were from Quebec) wore the Raelian sign. Knowing what I knew I though "I am getting laid!" Turns out nothing happened. I actually got a lot of phone numbers from French Canadian dancers but we didn't have cell phones back then, I was living at home with my parents. Then the idea of going to Montreal and having to have extensive, day after day, (social) intercourse in French. Sounded like a bad idea. It's hard to flirt with women when you have the vocabulary of a puppet from Sesame Street.

Anyway, so I take the ladies to this bad insurance convention or maybe it was an electrical company. For some reason I remember the company had a name used by a villain from the superhero cartoons. Turns out my mannerly ways were not shared by the people at the convention who expecting prostitutes so my friend Peter and I almost got into a fight with these guys. Took the women home. But my point in all of this was that:

a) if we accept that religion is basically made up and
b) men could make up ANYTHING they wanted other men to follow

choosing absolute sexual abstinence would not be high on most men's lists. It is something that either a woman would impose on men just to get revenge or perhaps a eunuch, hoping to turn the tables, would invent. I can't for the life of me see who in their right mind would decree no sex for anyone.