Pauline origin of the nomina sacra?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
andrewcriddle

Re: Pauline origin of the nomina sacra?

Post by andrewcriddle »

lclapshaw wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:50 am
andrewcriddle wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:28 am
dbz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:22 am
<SNIP>

[O]ne can even argue—if we didn’t have the Gospels and Acts imagining a 30s AD date for the religion’s origin, or if we decided to reject that as fiction—that Paul’s letters are more or at least as congruous with the Hasmonean date for the origins of Christianity rather than the Roman, i.e. Paul wrote in the 50s BC, not AD.
[...]
one argument for it is that it would make more sense of Paul’s telling us Aretas had a governor occupying or embargoing Damascus he had to flee from (2 Cor. 11:32-33). In the AD scenario, that requires supposing that incident happened during the Aretas-Judean conflict in 36-37 AD. No other date fits. Though we have no explicit account of Aretas occupying or embargoing Damascus in that war (it’s plausible given what we know, but not directly attested). However, some scholars suggest Paul means by ethnarch in that passage a diplomatic prefect, i.e. the marshal of a “Nabataean Quarter” of Damascus. Though we have no evidence for that being a thing either (though again it is nevertheless also plausible). By contrast, if Paul meant an incident in the 70s or 60s BC, he would have meant Aretas III rather than Aretas IV, who did in fact rule Damascus from 85 to 72 BC.

That this would perfectly align Paul’s entire chronology and ministry with the Talmudic Jesus executed in the 70s BC is indeed intriguing. But alas, this can only be speculated. There isn’t enough evidence to argue it’s probable. Meanwhile the same remarkable coincidence exists between Paul having had to dodge Aretas’s officials in 36, and the date our Gospels and Acts imply for the origin of the religion. The agreement is equally apposite.

--Richard Carrier comment-26307—10 July 2018—per "Then He Appeared to Over Five Hundred Brethren at Once!". Richard Carrier Blogs. 28 June 2018.

Paul did not write to Corinth during the 50's BC. It was a ruin. (Refounded after 44 BC.)

Andrew Criddle
I always get confused by this but isn't 50 BCE to 40 BCE considered 50's BCE? Counting right to left to 0 as it were?
FWIW Wikipedia disagrees with you
50s_BC
This article concerns the period 59 BC – 50 BC.
Andrew Criddle
dbz

Post by dbz »

• Decade vs Century
"50s BC". Wikipedia.
The 6th century BC started the first day of 600 BC and ended the last day of 501 BC.
"6th century BC". Wikipedia.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

dbz wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:28 am
  • Decade vs Century
"50s BC". Wikipedia.
The 6th century BC started the first day of 600 BC and ended the last day of 501 BC.
I think my usage is the usual one. However the real issue is what Richard Carrier meant by the term.

Andrew Criddle
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

andrewcriddle wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:04 am
lclapshaw wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:50 am
andrewcriddle wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:28 am
dbz wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:22 am
<SNIP>

[O]ne can even argue—if we didn’t have the Gospels and Acts imagining a 30s AD date for the religion’s origin, or if we decided to reject that as fiction—that Paul’s letters are more or at least as congruous with the Hasmonean date for the origins of Christianity rather than the Roman, i.e. Paul wrote in the 50s BC, not AD.
[...]
one argument for it is that it would make more sense of Paul’s telling us Aretas had a governor occupying or embargoing Damascus he had to flee from (2 Cor. 11:32-33). In the AD scenario, that requires supposing that incident happened during the Aretas-Judean conflict in 36-37 AD. No other date fits. Though we have no explicit account of Aretas occupying or embargoing Damascus in that war (it’s plausible given what we know, but not directly attested). However, some scholars suggest Paul means by ethnarch in that passage a diplomatic prefect, i.e. the marshal of a “Nabataean Quarter” of Damascus. Though we have no evidence for that being a thing either (though again it is nevertheless also plausible). By contrast, if Paul meant an incident in the 70s or 60s BC, he would have meant Aretas III rather than Aretas IV, who did in fact rule Damascus from 85 to 72 BC.

That this would perfectly align Paul’s entire chronology and ministry with the Talmudic Jesus executed in the 70s BC is indeed intriguing. But alas, this can only be speculated. There isn’t enough evidence to argue it’s probable. Meanwhile the same remarkable coincidence exists between Paul having had to dodge Aretas’s officials in 36, and the date our Gospels and Acts imply for the origin of the religion. The agreement is equally apposite.

--Richard Carrier comment-26307—10 July 2018—per "Then He Appeared to Over Five Hundred Brethren at Once!". Richard Carrier Blogs. 28 June 2018.

Paul did not write to Corinth during the 50's BC. It was a ruin. (Refounded after 44 BC.)

Andrew Criddle
I always get confused by this but isn't 50 BCE to 40 BCE considered 50's BCE? Counting right to left to 0 as it were?
FWIW Wikipedia disagrees with you
50s_BC
Andrew Criddle
Fair enough. :cheers:
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

dbz wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:28 am
  • Decade vs Century
"50s BC". Wikipedia.
Ahh yes, that makes sense.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

rgprice wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:22 am
Also, do you have a citation for where Justin says that IC = Jesus Man?
Sorry, having trouble finding it. Maybe try PMing SA.
mbuckley3

Post by mbuckley3 »

lclapshaw wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:42 pm
rgprice wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:22 am
Also, do you have a citation for where Justin says that IC = Jesus Man?
Sorry, having trouble finding it. Maybe try PMing SA.
The text is 1 Apol.33.7, but as emended by Miroslav Marcovich

Use Marcovich as a searchword in SA's posts to get links to threads making use of it.

Ken Olson, 19 Jan 2022, both uploaded MM's page to show his reasoning, and gave his own reasons for thinking that the emendation is unnecessary.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

But remember there are 2 passages not just one. One was amended. The other wasn't.
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

Sa, your other thread on Nomen Sacrum is quite interesting. But I'm struggling to identify the appropriate material to use on this subject. Is there any scholarship that clearly identifies the relevant material? What manuscripts exist from prior to the 5th century?

What's the problem with Philo's work? Are you suggesting that in the existing manuscripts, which I assume come from later dates, that his original use of ΙΣ has been lost due to scribal modification?
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

What are all of the oldest examples of the name Jesus being spelled out in full? Is there any such catalogue?

I see this book on Amazon, but its not out yet: https://www.amazon.com/Christ-Center-No ... 683596307/

Anyone have any insight into this author or the potential merits of the book? August is quite a while into the future.

I see this book, but I can't find an English translation: https://books.google.com/books?id=p-Y3D ... &q&f=false

This paper is interesting, but doesn't answer enough questions: https://library.aarome.org/cgi-bin/koha ... mber=23602