Markus Vinzent: A first concordance of the canonical New Testament in comparison with the precanonical New Testament

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Markus Vinzent: A first concordance of the canonical New Testament in comparison with the precanonical New Testament

Post by mlinssen »

Vinzent has put up a new blog post, about his forthcoming book

http://markusvinzent.blogspot.com/2023/ ... l-new.html

This will be an incredibly powerful tool, just as my Concordance to thomas has been: a solid, complete, perfect Concordance is a straightjacket to a text from which nothing can escape; it encompasses all, and especially confronts one with similar and identical words, idenitfying core themes and principles in a text.
For instance, my Concordance demonstrated that there are (only!!!) two non-unique words in the entire text of Thomas: ϣⲁⲓ (text: ϣⲁⲉⲓ) and ⲥⲁⲧⲉ (idem). The latter could be translated with 'flame' yet Crum doesn't have that option so I have stuck to fire, which is already present:

fire ⲕⲱϩⲧ Noun masculine 10, 13, 16
fire*(F) ⲥⲁⲧⲉ Noun feminine 82

A concordance will enormously help once to nuance a text, to detail it, to find the subtle differences between one word and another - and most importantrly, it will shape the first base translation ot a text, where it all must begin: the transliteration that my Interactive Translation presents. Ugly as hell, yes. Terribly illegible, yes. But it shows the text it its most rudimentary form, starch naked, untainted, uncorrupted, unbiased - and it will reveal great gems

new ⲃⲣⲣⲉ Adjective 47, 51
new* ϣⲁⲓ Adjective 47

"new*" is the key to Marcion, and just this Thomas Concordance reveals the entire secret of *Ev: THIS is where Marcion / Chrestianity got its idea from, this is the birth place of ή καινή διαθήκη, the fresh testament

I am REALLY looking forward to Vinzent's latest, and it will be a magnificently powerful tool, and it will greatly upset everything. It will reveal connections that were never expected or suspected, and it will cast doubts and shadows on existing ones. And just like my translation has demonstrated that the original parable of the mustard seed talked about 'a grain of mustard, being fewer than all the seeds', so will Vinzent's concordance wreak havoc