Why does Klinghardt think that Ἰωάνην ἐγὼ ἀπεκεφάλισα was found in Marcion?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why does Klinghardt think that Ἰωάνην ἐγὼ ἀπεκεφάλισα was found in Marcion?

Post by Giuseppe »

I have found that prof Klinghardt proves with certainty that the Marcion mentioned Herod only as the person who was informed about who was Jesus:

Again, that it was no new god which recommended by Christ, was clearly attested by the opinion of all men, because some maintained to Herod that Jesus was the Christ; others, that He was John; some, that He was Elias; and others, that He was one of the old prophets. Now, whosoever of all these He might have been, He certainly was not raised up for the purpose of announcing another god after His resurrection.

https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/03124.htm

But nothing can be inferred, from Tertullian's words, about Herod concluding:

Ἰωάνην ἐγὼ ἀπεκεφάλισα

The only reason Klinghardt puts this connection "Herod as killer/John" in his reconstruction is that:

In the Lukan version, on the other hand, Ἰωάνην ἐγὼ ἀπεκεφάλισα constitues a problematic narrative void, since it does not provide the corresponding account about the death of John the Baptist. This suggests that the remark Ἰωάνην ἐγὼ ἀπεκεφάλισα was cointained already in *Ev. Mark adopted it, supplemented it with the added narrative...

(The Oldest Gospel and the Formation of the Canonical Gospel, p. 705, my bold)

I don't like this explanation, sincerely. It is a mere suggestion, not a proof, of the presence of Herod killer of John in Marcion.

Hence I am justified to think that in the Evangelion Herod was surely informed about the various identities of Jesus according to hearsay, but he never concluded: "I have beheaded John".

The corollary is that the original readers of Marcion would have assumed that Pilate had beheaded John the Baptist, not Herod.
Giuseppe

Re: Why does Klinghardt think that Ἰωάνην ἐγὼ ἀπεκεφάλισα was found in Marcion?

Post by Giuseppe »

In this way, I can raise rightly the suspicion that the late gospels introduced Herod as killer of John the Baptist, in order to avoid the confusion of John the Baptist with a contemporary victim of Pilate: the Samaritan false prophet killed by Pilate.

(Which is also the reason why (docet Georges Ory) the Baptist Passage was interpolated in Josephus shortly after the mention of the exile of Pilate (for his hard repression in Samaria) and the defeat of Herod).