Augustine's Confessions: a medieval forgery? (Detering)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Augustine's Confessions: a medieval forgery? (Detering)

Post by Secret Alias »

These weird theories count on the fact that useful people don't have a lot of time. Smith and Landau's book just arrived. Next on my list.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:07 am Neil has this annoying habit (which is a carry over from his radical Christian background) of taking offense that when people here stupid sounding arguments from questionable scholars (Detering was a fucking nut, I know I dealt with him for years) that this "disrespects" the scholar whereas Neil has no problems disrespecting respected scholars who hold positions he doesn't agree with. Why? He's some weird former cult member who went against his former beliefs with the same weirdness that he had when he was a cult member. . . .

I think that the modern world has allowed so many useless people to have so much free time is a bad thing. It floods discussion groups with stupid theories.
Stephan, I am getting tired of having to read over your many comments to get to those of persons who have demonstrated a willingness to discuss the issues in a reasonable and civil manner.

I consider your many attacks on what you believe to be my past experiences and my present motivations to be outright harassment.

I see there is a rule for this forum by Peter Kirby that reads:
I'm also happy to be rid of posters who use this freedom as an opportunity to harass and bully other users.
Your constant attacks on me I consider to be nothing less than harassment and attempts to bully me.

My simple reply to Andrew was to ask him to approach another scholar with a bit more positive expectation than an assumption that he must be ignorant. You take that as a springboard to attack my motivation and continue to repeat nonsense about my life that I have many times now made clear to you is simply false.

I am asking you: stop harassing and cyber-bullying me -- under any alias you use -- both here and on my blog.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

This is stupid. You accused Andrew of somehow not showing enough respect to Detering when the reality is that there are good reasons for questioning the premise of the book.
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

neilgodfrey suggested above that I "read more." I have.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Your constant attacks on me I consider to be nothing less than harassment and attempts to bully me.
A case can be made that you bully and intimidate others at the forum.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:43 pm
A case can be made that you bully and intimidate others at the forum.
Then lodge a complaint to Peter -- with the evidence.
Last edited by neilgodfrey on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

That's not how I operate. If you want to insult me, so be it. It shows you don't have a real argument. That's how I look it at. In this case, you insulted or insinuated that Andrew wasn't showing sufficient deference to Detering. Andrew's surprise was due to the fact that he was aware of several references to the Confessions before the period Detering was assigning the text. He wasn't attacking Detering. I will. He was a nutjob who called me when I was at the hospital with the birth of my son telling me I wasn't qualified to study Marcion any more. Nut job.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:47 pm That's not how I operate.
So I take it you don't have evidence of this bullying that you accuse me of.

Secret Alias wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:47 pm If you want to insult me, so be it. It shows you don't have a real argument. That's how I look it at. In this case, you insulted or insinuated that Andrew wasn't showing sufficient deference to Detering.
This is the kind of misrepresentation that I find reprehensible. I never suggested Andrew did not show "sufficient deference" to Detering. That's bullshit. My request was civil and clear.

I have certainly quoted back to you your own proud self-portrayal of your anti-intellectualism. I trust I have never misrepresented your words but have attempted to demonstrate where your own words explain your insults and abuse of scholars you do not, you say, intend to read. I have complained about your bullying many times here and I am tired of your continual slander and misrepresentations of both my person, my motivations, my viewpoints and my past -- your continual harassment and abusive insults towards me.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Why always the weird theories? Why don't you ever confirm something that isn't outlandish?
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

So according to Neil

1. Jesus never existed
2. the gospel was written late 2nd century
3. the Pentateuch was written c 270 BCE from books in the library of Alexandria
4. that there was a "forgery factory" of Patristic literature c 4th century and later (citing your support of Pete and this theory)

Wow and I am the anti-intellectual in the conversation. If you are here to make friends I suggest a Meet Up group instead. I begin with the presumption that the world and history isn't that interesting. There aren't these massive conspiracies you suggest. But maybe I am wrong. Maybe "everything we know is wrong. " I just don't ever see the evidence support these grand revisions.