Help with Kotoku Shusui

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
andrewcriddle

Re: Help with Kotoku Shusui

Post by andrewcriddle »

William Warburton
John Allen Giles
FWIW Giles appears to have been a slightly dubious person.

Andrew Criddle
Chrissy Hansen

Post by Chrissy Hansen »

andrewcriddle wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:35 am William Warburton
John Allen Giles

Andrew Criddle
In what way? Never heard of him before.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Chrissy Hansen wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:36 am
andrewcriddle wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:35 am William Warburton
John Allen Giles

Andrew Criddle
In what way? Never heard of him before.
On 6 March 1855 Giles was tried at the Oxford spring assizes before Lord Campbell, on the charges of having entered in the marriage register book of Bampton parish church a marriage under date 3 October 1854, which took place on the 5th, having himself performed the ceremony out of canonical hours, soon after 6 a.m.; of having falsely entered that it was performed by license; and of having forged the mark of a witness who was not present. He pleaded not guilty, but it was clear that he had committed the offence to cover the pregnancy of one of his servants, whom he married to her lover, Richard Pratt, a shoemaker's apprentice. Pratt's master, one of Giles's parishioners, instituted the proceedings.

Giles spoke on his own behalf, and declared that he had published 120 volumes. His bishop also spoke for him. He was found guilty, but strongly recommended to mercy. Lord Campbell sentenced him to a year's imprisonment in Oxford Castle. After three months' imprisonment he was released by royal warrant on 4 June 1855
Andrew Criddle
Chrissy Hansen

Post by Chrissy Hansen »

Honestly, not particularly dubious to me. He was trying to cover for a person having a premarital relationship, and was using his institutional power in the hopes that he could save them troubles. I'm gonna say pretty cool. All I see here is a clergyman using his authority to undermine puritanical ideas of relationships of the church and law of the time, and that's a win in my book. Cudos to John Allen Giles for being pretty chill it appears.