Writers from Antiquity were even able to suspend their own judgment on CITED sources

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Writers from Antiquity were even able to suspend their own judgment on CITED sources

Post by Giuseppe »

Concerning the original inhabitants of Africa, the settlers that afterward joined them, and the manner in which they intermingled, I shall offer the following brief account, which, though it differs from the general opinion, is that which was interpreted to me from the Punic volumes said to have belonged to King Hiempsal,5 and which the inhabitants of that country believe to be consistent with fact. For the truth of the statement, however, the writers themselves must be responsible.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... apter%3D17

This is very too much to be required by Gospel writers!
Paul the Uncertain

Re: Writers from Antiquity were even able to suspend their own judgment on CITED sources

Post by Paul the Uncertain »

Giuseppe wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:37 am
Concerning the original inhabitants of Africa, the settlers that afterward joined them, and the manner in which they intermingled, I shall offer the following brief account, which, though it differs from the general opinion, is that which was interpreted to me from the Punic volumes said to have belonged to King Hiempsal,5 and which the inhabitants of that country believe to be consistent with fact. For the truth of the statement, however, the writers themselves must be responsible.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... apter%3D17

This is very too much to be required by Gospel writers!
I think Mark does to some extent "suspend judgment," although of course none of the canonical gospel writers cite their sources.

I'll be presenting a paper next week at the inaugural "global virutal meeting" of the Society of Biblical Literature on Mark's treatment of small group visionary experiences, comparing them with Plutarch's telling of Brutus's haunting by an avenging spirit. We know Plutarch is "hedging" because he sets up a very literary speech by Cassius expressing strong skepticism about the reality of Brutus's encounter. Mark uses a similar style when telling his "private" miracle stories, even though he has no character like Cassius.

I interpret that as Mark accommodating audience members who are not believers at the time they are reading or hearing his gospel. In your terms, that would be Mark allowing his audience members to suspend their judgment concerning the reality of such feats as Jesus walking on water.

Whether Mark is suspending his own judgment is a good question, I think. We know much more about Plutarch than about Mark, but I think we'd be hard pressed from reading the lives of Julius Caesar and Brutus to discern whether Plutarch sided with Brutus or with Cassius. For myself, I do not assume that Mark is a Christian at the time he is writing, nor do I see any strong evidence for or against that possibility.
Giuseppe

Re: Writers from Antiquity were even able to suspend their own judgment on CITED sources

Post by Giuseppe »

I have to mitigate my optimism. Sallustius had a real interest to seem skeptic about the reliability of "Punic volumes". "Punic" for the Romans was synonymous of "liar". Hence, Sallustius is not a honest historian, here, but only another propagandist.