"A Case for Apollonius of Tyana = Paul..."

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
StephenGoranson

"A Case for Apollonius of Tyana = Paul..."

Post by StephenGoranson »

by Gregory Doudna

https://www.academia.edu/98630702/_A_Ca ... sentation_

(I have preliminary thoughts, but others may go ahead.)
Secret Alias

Re: "A Case for Apollonius of Tyana = Paul..."

Post by Secret Alias »

No footnotes.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Greg's invited conference paper is clearly introduced as a prolegomenon. Look it up.

I have had feedback that my post on Greg's paper at https://vridar.org/2023/03/20/another-angle-on-paul/ accurately and objectively represents his main points.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Greg told me via mail that his "work on Paul’s letters and Christian activity being all post—70 ... would support" prof Cristophe Batsch's view of Christian Origins without a historical Jesus.

Afterall, the difference is minimal, between the view that the historical Jesus was Jesus ben Sappha and the view that the Gospel Jesus is an amalgam of more failed messianists (George Solomon identified at least three of them: the unnamed Samaritan false prophet killed by Pilate, Jesus ben Ananias and Jesus ben Sapphas).
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Secret Alias wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:57 am No footnotes.
There's this, at least:
A striking comparave parallel is the second-century philosopherPeregrinus and the second-century Chrisan gure Polycarp. Aconvincing case has been made that the martyrdom of Polycarp is avariant version of the self-immolaon of Peregrinus (publishedstarng Sept 7, 2010 on the blog, “Stephan Huller’s Observaons”).
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Anyone who would listen to that guy you know isn't serious.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

The paper is unconvincing in its argument that Philostratus could have managed to write a life of Paul without dealing with him as a Christian. And also in suggesting that Paul's activity as a Christian could have been a minor part of his life.

Our own Andrew once pointed out where the letters of Paul assume a pre-70 temple, and when there are few anchors for speculation already, I'm not eager to dig up the ones we have.

Overall, the kind of work that must be what Neil means when he says non-biblical scholars are left feeling queasy.
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

Guys, a case could be made that Acts of the Apostles assumes a pre-70 life of Paul.

We have so few anchors for speculation already.

#NotLettingGo

/s
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Do I hear the hiss of an unmoored speculator scorned?
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

neilgodfrey wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:57 am Greg's invited conference paper is clearly introduced as a prolegomenon. Look it up.

I have had feedback that my post on Greg's paper at https://vridar.org/2023/03/20/another-angle-on-paul/ accurately and objectively represents his main points.
But I am increasingly partial to the idea that Christianity as we might recognize it as something with a distinct identity as a “movement” did not begin until after the Jewish War of 66-70/73 CE
Seriously?