Hebrew TOV and Greek XRHSTOS

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Hebrew TOV and Greek XRHSTOS

Post by mlinssen »

Data from https://www.stepbible.org/?q=version=BS ... NTERLEAVED - with focus solely on χρηστ*

I'm having great difficulties in hghlighting the Hebrew, so I've left that for what it is

Job 31:31
(BSB) if the men of my house have not said, ‘Who is there who has not had his fill?’—
(THOT) אִם־לֹ֣א אָ֭מְרוּ מְתֵ֣י אָהֳלִ֑י מִֽי־יִתֵּ֥ן מִ֝בְּשָׂר֗וֹ לֹ֣א נִשְׂבָּֽע׃
(LXX) εἰ δὲ καὶ πολλάκις εἶπον αἱ θεράπαιναί μου Τίς ἂν δῴη ἡμῖν τῶν σαρκῶν αὐτοῦ πλησθῆναι; λίαν μου χρηστοῦ ὄντος·

Absolutely unbelievable "Greek": if however sometimes they-say, the θεράπαιναί (non-existing word once again), to-me, this: if he-gives to-us of-the flesh his to-be-filled, greatly of-me of-good being

Ps 14:1
(BSB) For the choirmaster. Of David. The fool says in his heart, “ [There is] no God.” They are corrupt; their acts are vile. There is no one who does good.
(THOT) לַמְנַצֵּ֗חַ לְדָ֫וִ֥ד אָ֘מַ֤ר נָבָ֣ל בְּ֭לִבּוֹ אֵ֣ין אֱלֹהִ֑ים הִֽשְׁחִ֗יתוּ הִֽתְעִ֥יבוּ עֲלִילָ֗ה אֵ֣ין עֹֽשֵׂה־טֽוֹב׃
(LXX) Εἰς τὸ τέλος· ψαλμὸς τῷ Δαυιδ. Εἶπεν ἄφρων ἐν καρδίᾳ αὐτοῦ οὐκ ἔστιν θεός· διέφθειραν καὶ ἐβδελύχθησαν ἐν ἐπιτηδεύμασιν, οὐκ ἔστιν ποιῶν χρηστότητα, Οὐκ ἔστιν ἕως ἑνός.

Ps 14:3
(BSB) All have turned away, they have together become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one.
(THOT) הַכֹּ֥ל סָר֮ יַחְדָּ֪ו נֶ֫אֱלָ֥חוּ אֵ֤ין עֹֽשֵׂה־ט֑וֹב אֵ֝֗ין גַּם־אֶחָֽד׃
(LXX) πάντες ἐξέκλιναν, ἅμα ἠχρεώθησαν, οὐκ ἔστιν ποιῶν χρηστότητα, οὐκ ἔστιν ἕως ἑνός. [τάφος ἀνεῳγμένος ὁ λάρυγξ αὐτῶν, ταῖς γλώσσαις αὐτῶν ἐδολιοῦσαν· ἰὸς ἀσπίδων ὑπὸ τὰ χείλη αὐτῶν, ὧν τὸ στόμα ἀρᾶς καὶ πικρίας γέμει· ὀξεῖς οἱ πόδες αὐτῶν ἐκχέαι αἷμα· σύντριμμα καὶ ταλαιπωρία ἐν ταῖς ὁδοῖς αὐτῶν, καὶ ὁδὸν εἰρήνης οὐκ ἔγνωσαν· οὐκ ἔστιν φόβος θεοῦ ἀπέναντι τῶν ὀφθαλμῶν αὐτῶν.]

Ps 21:3
(BSB) For You welcomed him with rich blessings; You placed on his head a crown of pure gold.
(THOT)
כִּֽי־תְ֭קַדְּמֶנּוּ בִּרְכ֣וֹת ט֑וֹב תָּשִׁ֥ית לְ֝רֹאשׁ֗וֹ עֲטֶ֣רֶת פָּֽז׃
(LXX) ὅτι προέφθασας αὐτὸν ἐν εὐλογίαις χρηστότητος, ἔθηκας ἐπὶ τὴν κεφαλὴν αὐτοῦ στέφανον ἐκ λίθου τιμίου.

Ps 25:7
(BSB) Remember not the sins of my youth, or my rebellious acts; remember me according to Your loving devotion, because of Your goodness, O LORD.
(THOT) חַטֹּ֤אות נְעוּרַ֨י׀ וּפְשָׁעַ֗י אַל־תִּ֫זְכֹּ֥ר כְּחַסְדְּךָ֥ זְכָר־לִי־אַ֑תָּה לְמַ֖עַן טוּבְךָ֣ יְהוָֽה׃
(LXX) ἁμαρτίας νεότητός μου καὶ ἀγνοίας μου μὴ μνησθῇς· κατὰ τὸ ἔλεός σου, μνήσθητί μου σὺ ἕνεκα τῆς χρηστότητός σου κύριε.

Ps 25:8
(BSB) Good and upright [is] the LORD; therefore He shows sinners the way.
(THOT) טוֹב־וְיָשָׁ֥ר יְהוָ֑ה עַל־כֵּ֤ן יוֹרֶ֖ה חַטָּאִ֣ים בַּדָּֽרֶךְ׃
(LXX) χρηστὸς καὶ εὐθὴς ὁ κύριος· διὰ τοῦτο νομοθετήσει ἁμαρτάνοντας ἐν ὁδῷ.

Ps 31:19
(BSB) How great is Your goodness which You have laid up for those who fear You, and bestowed on those who take refuge in You in the sight of the sons of men.
(THOT)
מָ֤ה רַֽב־טוּבְךָ֮ אֲשֶׁר־צָפַ֪נְתָּ לִּֽירֵ֫אֶ֥יךָ פָּ֭עַלְתָּ לַחֹסִ֣ים בָּ֑ךְ נֶ֝֗גֶד בְּנֵ֣י אָדָם׃
(LXX) ὡς πολὺ τὸ πλῆθος τῆς χρηστότητός σου, κύριε, ἧς ἔκρυψας τοῖς φοβουμένοις σε, ἐξειργάσω τοῖς ἐλπίζουσιν ἐπὶ σὲ ἐναντίον τῶν υἱῶν τῶν ἀνθρώπων.

Ps 34:8
(BSB) Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!
(THOT)
טַעֲמ֣וּ וּ֭רְאוּ כִּי־ט֣וֹב יְהוָ֑ה אַֽשְׁרֵ֥י הַ֝גֶּ֗בֶר יֶחֱסֶה־בּֽוֹ׃
(LXX) γεύσασθε καὶ ἴδετε ὅτι χρηστὸς ὁ κύριος· μακάριος ἀνήρ, ὃς ἐλπίζει ἐπ' αὐτόν.

Ps 37:3
(BSB) Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.
(THOT) בְּטַ֣ח בַּֽ֭יהוָה וַעֲשֵׂה־ט֑וֹב שְׁכָן־אֶ֝֗רֶץ וּרְעֵ֥ה אֱמוּנָֽה׃
(LXX) ἔλπισον ἐπὶ κύριον καὶ ποίει χρηστότητα καὶ κατασκήνου τὴν γῆν, καὶ ποιμανθήσῃ ἐπὶ τῷ πλούτῳ αὐτῆς·

Ps 52:9
(BSB) I will praise You forever, because You have done it. I will wait on Your name— for it is good— in the presence of Your saints.
(THOT)
אוֹדְךָ֣ לְ֭עוֹלָם כִּ֣י עָשִׂ֑יתָ וַאֲקַוֶּ֖ה שִׁמְךָ֥ כִֽי־ט֝֗וֹב נֶ֣גֶד חֲסִידֶֽיךָ׃
(LXX) ἐξομολογήσομαί σοι εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα, ὅτι ἐποίησας, καὶ ὑπομενῶ τὸ ὄνομά σου, ὅτι χρηστὸν ἐναντίον τῶν ὁσίων σου.

Ps 65:11
(BSB) You crown the year with Your bounty, and Your paths overflow with plenty.
(THOT)
עִ֭טַּרְתָּ שְׁנַ֣ת טוֹבָתֶ֑ךָ וּ֝מַעְגָּלֶ֗יךָ יִרְעֲפ֥וּן דָּֽשֶׁן׃
(LXX) εὐλογήσεις τὸν στέφανον τοῦ ἐνιαυτοῦ τῆς χρηστότητός σου, καὶ τὰ πεδία σου πλησθήσονται πιότητος·

Ps 68:10
(BSB) Your flock settled therein; O God, from Your bounty You provided for the poor.
(THOT)
חַיָּתְךָ֥ יָֽשְׁבוּ־בָ֑הּ תָּ֤כִ֥ין בְּטוֹבָתְךָ֖ לֶעָנִ֣י אֱלֹהִֽים׃
(LXX) τὰ ζῷά σου κατοικοῦσιν ἐν αὐτῇ· ἡτοίμασας ἐν τῇ χρηστότητί σου τῷ πτωχῷ, ὁ θεός.

Ps 69:16
(BSB) Answer me, O LORD, for Your loving devotion is good; turn to me in keeping with Your great compassion.
(THOT)
עֲנֵ֣נִי יְ֭הוָה כִּי־ט֣וֹב חַסְדֶּ֑ךָ כְּרֹ֥ב רַ֝חֲמֶ֗יךָ פְּנֵ֣ה אֵלָֽי׃
(LXX) εἰσάκουσόν μου, κύριε, ὅτι χρηστὸν τὸ ἔλεός σου· κατὰ τὸ πλῆθος τῶν οἰκτιρμῶν σου ἐπίβλεψον ἐπ' ἐμέ.

Ps 85:12
(BSB) The LORD will indeed provide what is good, and our land will yield its increase.
(THOT)
גַּם־יְ֭הוָה יִתֵּ֣ן הַטּ֑וֹב וְ֝אַרְצֵ֗נוּ תִּתֵּ֥ן יְבוּלָֽהּ׃
(LXX) καὶ γὰρ ὁ κύριος δώσει χρηστότητα, καὶ ἡ γῆ ἡμῶν δώσει τὸν καρπὸν αὐτῆς·

Ps 86:5
(BSB) For You, O Lord, are kind and forgiving, rich in loving devotion to all who call on You.
(THOT) כִּֽי־אַתָּ֣ה אֲ֭דֹנָי ט֣וֹב וְסַלָּ֑ח וְרַב־חֶ֝֗סֶד לְכָל־קֹרְאֶֽיךָ׃
(LXX) ὅτι σύ, κύριε, χρηστὸς καὶ ἐπιεικὴς καὶ πολυέλεος πᾶσι τοῖς ἐπικαλουμένοις σε.

Ps 100:5
(BSB) For the LORD is good, and His loving devotion endures forever; His faithfulness continues to all generations.
(THOT) כִּי־ט֣וֹב יְ֭הֹוָה לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּ֑וֹ וְעַד־דֹּ֥ר וָ֝דֹ֗ר אֱמוּנָתֽוֹ׃
(LXX) ὅτι χρηστὸς κύριος, εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα τὸ ἔλεος αὐτοῦ, καὶ ἕως γενεᾶς καὶ γενεᾶς ἡ ἀλήθεια αὐτοῦ.

Ps 104:28
(BSB) When You give it to them, they gather it up; when You open Your hand, they are satisfied with good things.
(THOT) תִּתֵּ֣ן לָ֭הֶם יִלְקֹט֑וּן תִּפְתַּ֥ח יָֽ֝דְךָ֗ יִשְׂבְּע֥וּן טֽוֹב׃
(LXX) δόντος σου αὐτοῖς συλλέξουσιν, ἀνοίξαντος δέ σου τὴν χεῖρα τὰ σύμπαντα πλησθήσονται χρηστότητος.

Ps 106:1
(BSB) Hallelujah! Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; His loving devotion endures forever.
(THOT) הַֽלְלוּיָ֨הּ׀ הוֹד֣וּ לַיהוָ֣ה כִּי־ט֑וֹב כִּ֖י לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּֽוֹ׃
(LXX) Αλληλουια. Ἐξομολογεῖσθε τῷ κυρίῳ, ὅτι χρηστός, ὅτι εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα τὸ ἔλεος αὐτοῦ.

Ps 106:5
(BSB) that I may see the prosperity of Your chosen ones, and rejoice in the gladness of Your nation, and give glory with Your inheritance.
(THOT) לִרְא֤וֹת׀ בְּט֘וֹבַ֤ת בְּחִירֶ֗יךָ לִ֭שְׂמֹחַ בְּשִׂמְחַ֣ת גּוֹיֶ֑ךָ לְ֝הִתְהַלֵּ֗ל עִם־נַחֲלָתֶֽךָ׃
(LXX) τοῦ ἰδεῖν ἐν τῇ χρηστότητι τῶν ἐκλεκτῶν σου, τοῦ εὐφρανθῆναι ἐν τῇ εὐφροσύνῃ τοῦ ἔθνους σου, τοῦ ἐπαινεῖσθαι μετὰ τῆς κληρονομίας σου.

Ps 107:1
(BSB) Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; His loving devotion endures forever.
(THOT) הֹד֣וּ לַיהוָ֣ה כִּי־ט֑וֹב כִּ֖י לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּֽוֹ׃
(LXX) Αλληλουια. Ἐξομολογεῖσθε τῷ κυρίῳ, ὅτι χρηστός, ὅτι εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα τὸ ἔλεος αὐτοῦ

Ps 109:21
(BSB) But You, O GOD, the Lord, deal kindly with me for the sake of Your name; deliver me by the goodness of Your loving devotion.
(THOT) וְאַתָּ֤ה׀ יְה֘וִ֤ה אֲדֹנָ֗י עֲֽשֵׂה־אִ֭תִּי לְמַ֣עַן שְׁמֶ֑ךָ כִּי־ט֥וֹב חַ֝סְדְּךָ֗ הַצִּילֵֽנִי׃
(LXX) καὶ σύ, κύριε κύριε, ποίησον μετ' ἐμοῦ ἔλεος ἕνεκεν τοῦ ονοματος σου, ὅτι χρηστὸν τὸ ἔλεός σου.

Ps 112:5
(BSB) It is well with the man who is generous and lends freely, whose affairs are guided by justice.
(THOT) טֽוֹב־אִ֭ישׁ חוֹנֵ֣ן וּמַלְוֶ֑ה יְכַלְכֵּ֖ל דְּבָרָ֣יו בְּמִשְׁפָּֽט׃
(LXX) χρηστὸς ἀνὴρ ὁ οἰκτίρων καὶ κιχρῶν, οἰκονομήσει τοὺς λόγους αὐτοῦ ἐν κρίσει·

Ps 119:39
(BSB) Turn away the disgrace I dread, for Your judgments are good.
(THOT) הַעֲבֵ֣ר חֶ֭רְפָּתִי אֲשֶׁ֣ר יָגֹ֑רְתִּי כִּ֖י מִשְׁפָּטֶ֣יךָ טוֹבִֽים׃
(LXX) περίελε τὸν ὀνειδισμόν μου, ὃν ὑπώπτευσα· τὰ γὰρ κρίματά σου χρηστά.

Ps 119:65
(BSB) You are good to Your servant, O LORD, according to Your word.
(THOT) ט֭וֹב עָשִׂ֣יתָ עִֽם־עַבְדְּךָ֑ יְ֝הוָ֗ה כִּדְבָרֶֽךָ׃
(LXX) θ τηθ. χρηστότητα ἐποίησας μετὰ τοῦ δούλου σου, κύριε, κατὰ τὸν λόγον σου.

Ps 119:66
(BSB) Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe in Your commandments.
(THOT) ט֤וּב טַ֣עַם וָדַ֣עַת לַמְּדֵ֑נִי כִּ֖י בְמִצְוֺתֶ֣יךָ הֶאֱמָֽנְתִּי׃
(LXX) χρηστότητα καὶ παιδείαν καὶ γνῶσιν δίδαξόν με, ὅτι ταῖς ἐντολαῖς σου ἐπίστευσα.

Ps 119:68
(BSB) You are good, and You do what is good; teach me Your statutes.
(THOT) טוֹב־אַתָּ֥ה וּמֵטִ֗יב לַמְּדֵ֥נִי חֻקֶּֽיךָ׃
(LXX) χρηστὸς εἶ σύ, κύριε, καὶ ἐν τῇ χρηστότητί σου. δίδαξόν με τὰ δικαιώματά σου

Ps 136:1
(BSB) Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good. His loving devotion endures forever.
(THOT)
הוֹד֣וּ לַיהוָ֣ה כִּי־ט֑וֹב כִּ֖י לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּֽוֹ׃
(LXX) Αλληλουια. Ἐξομολογεῖσθε τῷ κυρίῳ, ὅτι χρηστός, ὅτι εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα τὸ ἔλεος αὐτοῦ·

Ps 145:7
(BSB) They will extol the fame of Your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of Your righteousness.
(THOT) זֵ֣כֶר רַב־טוּבְךָ֣ יַבִּ֑יעוּ וְצִדְקָתְךָ֥ יְרַנֵּֽנוּ׃
(LXX) μνήμην τοῦ πλήθους τῆς χρηστότητός σου ἐξερεύξονται καὶ τῇ δικαιοσύνῃ σου ἀγαλλιάσονται.

Ps 145:9
(BSB) The LORD is good to all; His compassion rests on all He has made.
(THOT) טוֹב־יְהוָ֥ה לַכֹּ֑ל וְ֝רַחֲמָ֗יו עַל־כָּל־מַעֲשָֽׂיו׃
(LXX) χρηστὸς κύριος τοῖς σύμπασιν, καὶ οἱ οἰκτιρμοὶ αὐτοῦ ἐπὶ πάντα τὰ ἔργα αὐτοῦ.

Prov 2:21
(BSB) For the upright will inhabit the land, and the blameless will remain in it;
(THOT) כִּֽי־יְשָׁרִ֥ים יִשְׁכְּנוּ אָ֑רֶץ וּ֝תְמִימִ֗ים יִוָּ֥תְרוּ בָֽהּ׃
(LXX) χρηστοὶ ἔσονται οἰκήτορες γῆς, ἄκακοι δὲ ὑπολειφθήσονται ἐν αὐτῇ, ὅτι εὐθεῖς κατασκηνώσουσι γῆν, καὶ ὅσιοι ὑπολειφθήσονται ἐν αὐτῇ·

Jer 24:2
(BSB) One basket [had] very good figs, like those that ripen early, but the other basket contained very poor figs, so bad they could not be eaten.
(THOT) הַדּ֣וּד אֶחָ֗ד תְּאֵנִים֙ טֹב֣וֹת מְאֹ֔ד כִּתְאֵנֵ֖י הַבַּכֻּר֑וֹת וְהַדּ֣וּד אֶחָ֗ד תְּאֵנִים֙ רָע֣וֹת מְאֹ֔ד אֲשֶׁ֥ר לֹא־תֵֽאָכַ֖לְנָה מֵרֹֽעַ׃ס
(LXX) ὁ κάλαθος ὁ εἷς σύκων χρηστῶν σφόδρα ὡς τὰ σῦκα τὰ πρόιμα, καὶ ὁ κάλαθος ὁ ἕτερος σύκων πονηρῶν σφόδρα, ἃ οὐ βρωθήσεται ἀπὸ πονηρίας αὐτῶν.

Jer 24:3
(BSB) “Jeremiah,” the LORD asked, “what do you see?” “Figs!” I replied. “The good figs are very good, but the bad figs are very bad, so bad they cannot be eaten.”
(THOT) וַיֹּ֨אמֶר יְהוָ֜ה אֵלַ֗י מָֽה־אַתָּ֤ה רֹאֶה֙ יִרְמְיָ֔הוּ וָאֹמַ֖ר תְּאֵנִ֑ים הַתְּאֵנִ֤ים הַטֹּבוֹת֙ טֹב֣וֹת מְאֹ֔ד וְהָֽרָעוֹת֙ רָע֣וֹת מְאֹ֔ד אֲשֶׁ֥ר לֹא־תֵאָכַ֖לְנָה מֵרֹֽעַ׃פ
(LXX) καὶ εἶπεν κύριος πρός με Τί σὺ ὁρᾷς, Ιερεμια; καὶ εἶπα Σῦκα· τὰ χρηστχρηστὰ λίαν, καὶ τὰ πονηρὰ πονηρὰ λίαν, ἃ οὐ βρωθήσεται ἀπὸ πονηρίας αὐτῶν.

Jer 24:5
(BSB) “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Like these good figs, so I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I have sent away from this place to the land of the Chaldeans.
(THOT) כֹּֽה־אָמַ֤ר יְהוָה֙ אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל כַּתְּאֵנִ֥ים הַטֹּב֖וֹת הָאֵ֑לֶּה כֵּֽן־אַכִּ֞יר אֶת־גָּל֣וּת יְהוּדָ֗ה אֲשֶׁ֨ר שִׁלַּ֜חְתִּי מִן־הַמָּק֥וֹם הַזֶּ֛ה אֶ֥רֶץ כַּשְׂדִּ֖ים לְטוֹבָֽה׃
(LXX) Τάδε λέγει κύριος ὁ θεὸς Ισραηλ Ὡς τὰ σῦκα τὰ χρηστὰ ταῦτα, οὕτως ἐπιγνώσομαι τοὺς ἀποικισθέντας Ιουδα, οὓς ἐξαπέσταλκα ἐκ τοῦ τόπου τούτου εἰς γῆν Χαλδαίων εἰς ἀγαθά.

Jer 33:11
(BSB) the sounds of joy [and] gladness, the voices of the bride [and] bridegroom, and the voices of those bringing thank offerings into the house of the LORD, saying: ‘Give thanks to the LORD of Hosts, for the LORD is good; His loving devotion endures forever.’ For I will restore the land from captivity as in former times, says the LORD.
(THOT) ק֣וֹל שָׂשׂ֞וֹן וְק֣וֹל שִׂמְחָ֗ה ק֣וֹל חָתָן֮ וְק֣וֹל כַּלָּה֒ ק֣וֹל אֹמְרִ֡ים הוֹדוּ֩ אֶת־יְהוָ֨ה צְבָא֜וֹת כִּֽי־ט֤וֹב יְהוָה֙ כִּֽי־לְעוֹלָ֣ם חַסְדּ֔וֹ מְבִאִ֥ים תּוֹדָ֖ה בֵּ֣ית יְהוָ֑ה כִּֽי־אָשִׁ֧יב אֶת־שְׁבוּת־הָאָ֛רֶץ כְּבָרִאשֹׁנָ֖ה אָמַ֥ר יְהוָֽה׃ס
(LXX) φωνὴ εὐφροσύνης καὶ φωνὴ χαρμοσύνης, φωνὴ νυμφίου καὶ φωνὴ νύμφης, φωνὴ λεγόντων Ἐξομολογεῖσθε κυρίῳ παντοκράτορι, ὅτι χρηστὸς κύριος, ὅτι εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα τὸ ἔλεος αὐτοῦ· καὶ εἰσοίσουσιν δῶρα εἰς οἶκον κυρίου· ὅτι ἀποστρέψω πᾶσαν τὴν ἀποικίαν τῆς γῆς ἐκείνης κατὰ τὸ πρότερον, εἶπεν κύριος.

Jer 44:17
(BSB) Instead, we will do everything we said: We will burn incense to the queen of heaven and offer drink offerings to her, just as we, our fathers, our kings, and our officials did in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem. At that time we had plenty of food and good things, and we saw no disaster.
(THOT) כִּ֩י עָשֹׂ֨ה נַעֲשֶׂ֜ה אֶֽת־כָּל־הַדָּבָ֣ר׀ אֲשֶׁר־יָצָ֣א מִפִּ֗ינוּ לְקַטֵּ֞ר לִמְלֶ֣כֶת הַשָּׁמַיִם֮ וְהַסֵּֽיךְ־לָ֣הּ נְסָכִים֒ כַּאֲשֶׁ֨ר עָשִׂ֜ינוּ אֲנַ֤חְנוּ וַאֲבֹתֵ֙ינוּ֙ מְלָכֵ֣ינוּ וְשָׂרֵ֔ינוּ בְּעָרֵ֣י יְהוּדָ֔ה וּבְחֻצ֖וֹת יְרוּשָׁלִָ֑ם וַנִּֽשְׂבַּֽע־לֶ֙חֶם֙ וַנִּֽהְיֶ֣ה טוֹבִ֔ים וְרָעָ֖ה לֹ֥א רָאִֽינוּ׃
(LXX) ὅτι ποιοῦντες ποιήσομεν πάντα τὸν λόγον, ὃς ἐξελεύσεται ἐκ τοῦ στόματος ἡμῶν, θυμιᾶν τῇ βασιλίσσῃ τοῦ οὐρανοῦ καὶ σπένδειν αὐτῇ σπονδάς, καθὰ ἐποιήσαμεν ἡμεῖς καὶ οἱ πατέρες ἡμῶν καὶ οἱ βασιλεῖς ἡμῶν καὶ οἱ ἄρχοντες ἡμῶν ἐν πόλεσιν Ιουδα καὶ ἔξωθεν Ιερουσαλημ καὶ ἐπλήσθημεν ἄρτων καὶ εγενομεθα χρηστοι και κακὰ οὐκ εἴδομεν·

Jer 52:32
(BSB) He spoke kindly [to Jehoiachin] and set his throne above the thrones of the other kings with [him] in Babylon.
(THOT) וַיְדַבֵּ֥ר אִתּ֖וֹ טֹב֑וֹת וַיִּתֵּן֙ אֶת־כִּסְא֔וֹ מִמַּ֗עַל לְכִסֵּ֧א מְלָכִים אֲשֶׁ֥ר אִתּ֖וֹ בְּבָבֶֽל׃
(LXX) καὶ ἐλάλησεν αὐτῷ χρηστὰ καὶ ἔδωκεν τὸν θρόνον αὐτοῦ ἐπάνω τῶν θρόνων τῶν βασιλέων τῶν μετ' αὐτοῦ ἐν Βαβυλῶνι·

Ezek 27:22
(BSB) The merchants of Sheba and Raamah traded with you; for your wares they exchanged gold, the finest of all spices, and precious stones.
(THOT) רֹכְלֵ֤י שְׁבָא֙ וְרַעְמָ֔ה הֵ֖מָּה רֹכְלָ֑יִךְ בְּרֹ֨אשׁ כָּל־בֹּ֜שֶׂם וּבְכָל־אֶ֤בֶן יְקָרָה֙ וְזָהָ֔ב נָתְנ֖וּ עִזְבוֹנָֽיִךְ׃
(LXX) ἔμποροι Σαβα καὶ Ραγμα, οὗτοι ἔμποροί σου. μετὰ πρώτων ἡδυσμάτων καὶ λίθων χρηστῶν καὶ χρυσίον ἔδωκαν τὴν ἀγοράν σου

Ezek 28:13
(BSB) You were in Eden, the garden of God. Every kind of precious stone adorned you: ruby, topaz, and diamond, beryl, onyx, and jasper, sapphire, turquoise, and emerald. Your mountings and settings were crafted in gold, prepared on the day of your creation.
(THOT) בְּעֵ֨דֶן גַּן־אֱלֹהִ֜ים הָיִ֗יתָ כָּל־אֶ֨בֶן יְקָרָ֤ה מְסֻכָתֶ֙ךָ֙ אֹ֣דֶם פִּטְדָ֞ה וְיָהֲלֹ֗ם תַּרְשִׁ֥ישׁ שֹׁ֙הַם֙ וְיָ֣שְׁפֵ֔ה סַפִּ֣יר נֹ֔פֶךְ וּבָרְקַ֖ת וְזָהָ֑ב מְלֶ֨אכֶת תֻּפֶּ֤יךָ וּנְקָבֶ֙יךָ֙ בָּ֔ךְ בְּי֥וֹם הִבָּרַאֲךָ֖ כּוֹנָֽנוּ׃
(LXX) ἐν τῇ τρυφῇ τοῦ παραδείσου τοῦ θεοῦ ἐγενήθης· πᾶν λίθον χρηστὸν ἐνδέδεσαι, σάρδιον καὶ τοπάζιον καὶ σμάραγδον καὶ ἄνθρακα καὶ σάπφειρον καὶ ἴασπιν καὶ ἀργύριον καὶ χρυσίον καὶ λιγύριον καὶ ἀχάτην καὶ ἀμέθυστον καὶ χρυσόλιθον καὶ βηρύλλιον καὶ ὀνύχιον, καὶ χρυσιου ενεπλησας τους θησαυρους σου και τὰς ἀποθήκας σου ἐν σοὶ ἀφ' ἧς ἡμέρας ἐκτίσθης σύ.

Dan 2:32
(BSB) The head of the statue was pure gold, its chest and arms were silver, its belly and thighs were bronze,
(THOT) ה֣וּא צַלְמָ֗א רֵאשֵׁהּ֙ דִּֽי־דְהַ֣ב טָ֔ב חֲד֥וֹהִי וּדְרָע֖וֹהִי דִּ֣י כְסַ֑ף מְע֥וֹהִי וְיַרְכָתֵ֖הּ דִּ֥י נְחָֽשׁ׃
(LXX) ἡ εἰκών, ἧς ἡ κεφαλὴ χρυσίου χρηστοῦ, αἱ χεῖρες καὶ τὸ στῆθος καὶ οἱ βραχίονες αὐτῆς ἀργυροῖ, ἡ κοιλία καὶ οἱ μηροὶ χαλκοῖ,

Nah 1:7
(BSB) The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of distress; He cares for those who trust in Him.
(THOT) ט֣וֹב יְהוָ֔ה לְמָע֖וֹז בְּי֣וֹם צָרָ֑ה וְיֹדֵ֖עַ חֹ֥סֵי בֽוֹ׃
(LXX) χρηστὸς κύριος τοῖς ὑπομένουσιν αὐτὸν ἐν ἡμέρᾳ θλίψεως καὶ γινώσκων τοὺς εὐλαβουμένους αὐτόν·

Matt 11:30
(BSB) For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
ὁ γὰρ ζυγός μου χρηστὸς καὶ τὸ φορτίον μου ἐλαφρόν ἐστιν.

Luke 5:39
(BSB) And no one after drinking old [wine ] wants new, for he says, ‘The old is better.’”
οὐδεὶς πιὼν παλαιὸν θέλει νέον, λέγει γάρ· ὁ παλαιὸς χρηστός ἐστιν.

Luke 6:35
(BSB) But love your enemies, do good [to them] , and lend [to them] , expecting nothing in return. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.
πλὴν ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν καὶ ἀγαθοποιεῖτε καὶ δανίζετε μηδὲν ἀπελπίζοντες· καὶ ἔσται ὁ μισθὸς ὑμῶν πολύς, καὶ ἔσεσθε υἱοὶ ὑψίστου, ὅτι αὐτὸς χρηστός ἐστιν ἐπὶ τοὺς ἀχαρίστους καὶ πονηρούς.

Rom 2:4
(BSB) Or do you disregard the riches of His kindness, tolerance, and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness leads you to repentance?
ἢ τοῦ πλούτου τῆς χρηστότητος αὐτοῦ καὶ τῆς ἀνοχῆς καὶ τῆς μακροθυμίας καταφρονεῖς ἀγνοῶν ὅτι τὸ χρηστὸν τοῦ θεοῦ εἰς μετάνοιάν σε ἄγει;

Rom 3:12
(BSB) All have turned away; they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.
πάντες ἐξέκλειναν, ἅμα ἠχρεώθησαν· οὐκ ἔστιν ποιῶν χρηστότητα, οὐκ ἔστιν ἕως ἑνός.

Rom 11:22
(BSB) Take notice, therefore, [of the] kindness and severity of God: severity to those who fell, but kindness to you, if you continue in [His] kindness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.
Ἴδε οὖν χρηστότητα καὶ ἀποτομίαν θεοῦ· ἐπὶ μὲν τοὺς πεσόντας ἀποτομία, ἐπὶ δὲ σὲ χρηστότης θεοῦ, ἐὰν ἐπιμένῃς τῇ χρηστότητι· ἐπεὶ καὶ σὺ ἐκκοπήσῃ.

Rom 16:18
(BSB) For such people {are} not serving our Lord Christ, but their [own] appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.
οἱ γὰρ τοιοῦτοι τῷ κυρίῳ ἡμῶν χριστῷ οὐ δουλεύουσιν ἀλλὰ τῇ ἑαυτῶν κοιλίᾳ, καὶ διὰ τῆς χρηστολογίας καὶ εὐλογίας ἐξαπατῶσιν τὰς καρδίας τῶν ἀκάκων.

1Cor 13:4
(BSB) Love is patient, love is kind. [It] does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
Ἡ ἀγάπη μακροθυμεῖ, χρηστεύεται, ἡ ἀγάπη οὐ ζηλοῖ, ἡ ἀγάπη οὐ περπερεύεται, οὐ φυσιοῦται,

1Cor 15:33
(BSB) {Do} not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good character.”
μὴ πλανᾶσθε· φθείρουσιν ἤθη χρηστὰ ὁμιλίαι κακαί.

2Cor 6:6
(BSB) in purity, knowledge, patience, [and] kindness; in [the] Holy Spirit [and] in sincere love;
ἐν ἁγνότητι, ἐν γνώσει, ἐν μακροθυμίᾳ, ἐν χρηστότητι, ἐν πνεύματι ἁγίῳ, ἐν ἀγάπῃ ἀνυποκρίτῳ,

Gal 5:22
(BSB) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
ὁ δὲ καρπὸς τοῦ πνεύματός ἐστιν ἀγάπη, χαρά, εἰρήνη, μακροθυμία, χρηστότης, ἀγαθωσύνη, πίστις,

Eph 2:7
(BSB) in order that in the coming ages He might display the surpassing riches of His grace, [demonstrated] by [His] kindness to us in Christ Jesus.
ἵνα ἐνδείξηται ἐν τοῖς αἰῶσιν τοῖς ἐπερχομένοις τὸ ὑπερβάλλον πλοῦτος τῆς χάριτος αὐτοῦ ἐν χρηστότητι ἐφ᾽ ἡμᾶς ἐν χριστῷ Ἰησοῦ.

Eph 4:32
(BSB) Be kind [and] tender-hearted to one another, forgiving each other just as in Christ God forgave you.
γείνεσθε δὲ εἰς ἀλλήλους χρηστοί, εὔσπλαγχνοι, χαριζόμενοι ἑαυτοῖς καθὼς καὶ ὁ θεὸς ἐν χριστῷ ἐχαρίσατο ἡμῖν.

Col 3:12
(BSB) Therefore, as [the] elect of God, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, [and] patience.
Ἐνδύσασθε οὖν, ὡς ἐκλεκτοὶ τοῦ θεοῦ ἅγιοι καὶ ἠγαπημένοι, σπλάγχνα οἰκτειρμοῦ, χρηστότητα, ταπεινοφροσύνην, πραΰτητα, μακροθυμίαν·

Titus 3:4
(BSB) But when the kindness of God our Savior and [His] love for mankind appeared,
Ὅτε δὲ ἡ χρηστότης καὶ ἡ φιλανθρωπία ἐπεφάνη τοῦ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν θεοῦ,

1Pet 2:3
(BSB) now that you have tasted that the Lord [is] good.
εἰ ἐγεύσασθε ὅτι χρηστὸς ὁ κύριος.

dbz

Re: Hebrew TOV and Greek XRHSTOS

Post by dbz »

• Is Xrhstos always fully spelled out in the oldest MSS?
dbz

Post by dbz »

ט֣וֹב יְהוָ֔ה לְמָע֖וֹז בְּי֣וֹם צָרָ֑ה וְיֹדֵ֖עַ חֹ֥סֵי בֽוֹ׃

ט֣וֹב יְהוָ֔ה לְמָע֖וֹז בְּי֣וֹם צָרָ֑ה וְיֹדֵ֖עַ חֹ֥סֵי בֽוֹ׃

Code: Select all

[RTL][highlight=yellow]ט֣וֹב[/highlight] יְהוָ֔ה לְמָע֖וֹז בְּי֣וֹם צָרָ֑ה וְיֹדֵ֖עַ חֹ֥סֵי בֽוֹ׃[/RTL]
[highlight=yellow]ט֣וֹב[/highlight] יְהוָ֔ה לְמָע֖וֹז בְּי֣וֹם צָרָ֑ה וְיֹדֵ֖עַ חֹ֥סֵי בֽוֹ׃
eta. I did not reorder the Hebrew TOV, the editor did it automatically. But it displays correctly!
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

dbz wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:28 am
  • Is Xrhstos always fully spelled out in the oldest MSS?
Yes, it is - in the Greek. Given the nomina sacra in the Nag Hammadi Library it is highly likely that the abbreviations also said Xrhstos, as illustrated:

43:37 ϫⲁⲉⲓⲥ ⲡⲉ ⲭⲣⲏⲥⲧⲟⲥ
Savior, our Lord the XRHSTOS

48:19 ⲓⲏⲥ ⲡⲉ ⲭⲣⲏⲥⲧⲟⲥ
IHS the XRHSTOS

50:1 ϫⲁⲉⲓⲥ ⲓⲥ ⲡⲉ ⲭⲣⲏⲥ[...]
IS the XRHS[...]

That's the full version in e.g. The Treatise on the Resurrection, where we find the full version alone. The Tripartite Tractate is the only NHL text to mix the full as well as the abbreviations, e.g.

117:15-6 ⲓⲏⲥ ⲡⲉ ⲭⲣⲥ
IHS the XRS

122:19 ⲡⲉ ⲭⲣⲏⲥⲧⲟⲥ
The XRHSTOS

None of the NHL contains Xristos, and only Philip contains ⲭⲣⲏⲥⲧⲓⲁⲛⲟⲥ, as well ⲭⲣⲓⲥⲧⲓⲁⲛⲟⲥ - and the latter exists only in his text, whereas The Testimony of Truth is the only other text to contain the former (and only once)
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

But nothing from the Pentateuch. That's what's interesting. The Jewish writings weren't translated all at once.