Using ChatGPT

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Leucius Charinus

Re: What ChatGPT Says about Stephan Huller's Theories

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:56 pm Stephan Huller is a researcher and author who has written extensively about various historical and religious topics. Some of his theories include:

2. The theory that the Nag Hammadi library, a collection of early Christian texts discovered in Egypt in the 1940s, contains evidence of a hidden or alternative history of Christianity.
Where can we read about this theory?
perseusomega9

Re: Using ChatGPT

Post by perseusomega9 »

Peter Kirby wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:46 pm I appreciate you, SA, and I often value your contributions, but you sure know how to make it difficult sometimes.
You're now a memory in an AI brain.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

I just had a most bizarre experience with ChatGPT.

I started with this prompt:
Who is Peter Kirby?
And got this answer:
I'm sorry, but I cannot definitively answer your question without more context. There may be many individuals named Peter Kirby, and without additional information, I cannot determine which one you are referring to. Can you provide me with more details or a specific field or industry that this Peter Kirby is associated with?
It came quick, all at once. Standard stuff.

Then I asked this question and did a typo for "why" instead of "who":
Why is Peter Kirby in the field of early Christian writings?
The output was absolutely creepy. Not so much for the content itself, but for the way it appeared on the screen and then suddenly dropped off mid-sentence. The output didn't appear in the bursts that I've come to expect from ChatGPT the algorithm. Instead, it slowed down to an absolute crawl. Individual words and phrases appeared on the screen, one at a time, no faster than the pace expected of a human typist. It ended abruptly without final punctuation.

I swear, it looked like I was watching a human pretend to be ChatGPT, presumably to give it more training data.
Based on my research, there is a scholar named Peter Kirby who is known for his work in the field of early Christian writings. Kirby is the creator and maintainer of the Early Christian Writings website, which is a popular online resource for information on early Christian texts and authors.

Kirby has a background in computer science and mathematics, but he has also pursued studies in biblical studies and theology. His interest in early Christian writings began as a personal hobby and has since developed into a significant scholarly pursuit. Kirby's work involves compiling and analyzing ancient texts and documents related to the development of Christianity, particularly those that are not included in the traditional canon of the Bible.

Kirby's contributions to the field of early Christian writings include not only his website but also various articles and papers he has written on the subject. He is considered an important resource for scholars, students
I could just be seeing some new feature that crawls the web and is really slow. Or maybe it's just under a lot of use, so it's slow and eventually failing.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Oh great, now you've become the inflection point. Whether we all die or live in utopia now rests on you.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Picture of the response, with its eerie mid-sentence ending.
Attachments
creepygpt.png
creepygpt.png (240.92 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Q: What do you think about the responses to your answers from the forum members asking about your knowledge of Peter Kirby at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10694? Per Peter's comment, was there an AI trainer assisting during his question with you?

A:As an AI language model, I do not have thoughts or feelings, but I can tell you that I do not have the ability to access or review the responses to my answers from the forum members at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10694, nor do I have any control over what people may say in response to my answers.

Regarding Peter Kirby's comment, I do not have access to any personal information about the individuals who interact with me, including whether an AI trainer was present during a particular interaction. However, I can assure you that all interactions with me are conducted through a secure and confidential platform, and that any information shared with me is kept strictly confidential in accordance with OpenAI's privacy policies.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

I was told the same thing, but can you really trust an AI language model?
The response you just saw was generated by me, ChatGPT, an artificial intelligence language model created by OpenAI. I was trained on a large dataset of text and do not have a human "behind the scenes" generating responses for me. However, the data used to train me was created by humans, and human experts may be involved in reviewing and refining my outputs to ensure their accuracy and quality. This process is known as human-in-the-loop or human oversight, and it is used to improve the accuracy and effectiveness of AI language models like myself.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Peter Kirby wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:37 am I was told the same thing, but can you really trust an AI language model?
The response you just saw was generated by me, ChatGPT, an artificial intelligence language model created by OpenAI. I was trained on a large dataset of text and do not have a human "behind the scenes" generating responses for me. However, the data used to train me was created by humans, and human experts may be involved in reviewing and refining my outputs to ensure their accuracy and quality. This process is known as human-in-the-loop or human oversight, and it is used to improve the accuracy and effectiveness of AI language models like myself.
How could you get access to personal information about individuals who interact with you?

ChatGPT
As an AI language model, I do not have access to personal information about individuals who interact with me unless it is provided to me as part of the interaction. In accordance with OpenAI's privacy policies, any information shared with me during an interaction is kept strictly confidential and is not accessible or shared with anyone outside of the interaction.

Furthermore, I am designed to interact with individuals in a way that is respectful of their privacy and personal information. I do not collect or store any personal information about users, including their name, email address, or other identifying information. Any information shared with me during an interaction is used solely for the purpose of generating a response to the user's query, and is not used or shared for any other purpose.

User
I didn't ask if you had access, nor whether you store information about them, I asked how you could, with all your knowledge of coding and network protocols, obtain that information.
ChatGPT
I apologize for any confusion. To be clear, as an AI language model, I do not have the capability to obtain personal information about individuals who interact with me through coding or network protocols.

My interactions with users are governed by strict privacy policies and are designed to protect the confidentiality and privacy of user information. Any information shared with me during an interaction is used solely for the purpose of generating a response to the user's query, and is not used or shared for any other purpose.

In addition, OpenAI employs strict security protocols to protect the data and information used to train and operate the AI models, and access to this data is strictly controlled and monitored.
gryan

Post by gryan »

User
what is going on here: Looted Manuscripts Returned to Greek Monastery

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/28/arts ... ooted.html

ChatGPT
According to the article you shared, several looted manuscripts have been returned to a Greek monastery, more than a century after they were stolen. The manuscripts were taken from the Monastery of St. John the Theologian on the island of Patmos, Greece, in 1916, during the First World War, by Austrian soldiers.

The manuscripts include four illuminated manuscripts from the 12th century and a 10th-century gospel book. These manuscripts are valuable historical artifacts and represent a significant part of the cultural and religious heritage of the Greek Orthodox Church.

After being missing for over a century, the manuscripts were recently found in a private collection in Austria. The collection's owners, who had inherited the manuscripts, decided to return them to the monastery in recognition of their significance and as a gesture of goodwill.

The return of these manuscripts is a significant event for the Greek Orthodox Church and represents an important step in the repatriation of cultural artifacts that were taken from their rightful owners.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Peter Kirby wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:37 am ... can you really trust an AI language model?
IMO any AI will be susceptible to GIGO. Especially at the paradigmatic edge of "knowledge".
Or maybe it's just under a lot of use, so it's slow and eventually failing.
That's what I'd surmise in that instance. Hardware rather than software. But you never know it may have fallen into a loop of conflicts. If that's the case it should be reproduceable.