Does the lost Gospel Q Exist? | Dr. James McGrath Vs Dr. Mark Goodacre

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Does the lost Gospel Q Exist? | Dr. James McGrath Vs Dr. Mark Goodacre

Post by Giuseppe »

Ken Olson wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:25 am Is this one of Klinghardt's arguments, and, if so, could you cite it (title and date of work and page numbers, at least)?
yes, it is (I mean: the cold distance between Jesus and John, survived in Mark pace Mark himself):

Striking in *Ev is the portrayal of Jesus in distinct distance to the disciples and to other individuals, including John the Baptist (as evident in *7,17-23). The canonical redaction softens the distance, not only in *7,13ff, but in this passage as well.

This means that the Lord's Prayer had an introduction in *Ev. It was similar to the Matthean version and is well preserved in D. The abrupt mentioning of John and his μαθηταὶ was included in *Ev. It signifies clearly a distance between Jesus and his disciples on the one hand, and John and his disciples on the other: that the Lord's Prayer represents a superior, group-internal prayer is more evident in *Ev than in the canonical versions.

(The Oldest Gospel and the Formation of the Canonical Gospels, p. 526, my bold)

Until here, Klinghardt. I add only the following remark:

How could be Jesus morally distant from John if John was the same guy who baptized him?

I specify "morally" since your obvious objection is that John was physically distant from Jesus: safe in a prison.
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:19 am The second argument is the harmonizing words added by Luke to the parable of the wineskins. There also, if only also Mark had the same harmonizing words in the epilogue of the parable, then there would be no difficulty in rejecting the Markan priority with the same easiness. Unfortunately so it is not.
Which words did you mean? Ben reconstructed the last verses as uncertain/unattested but not demonstrably absent.
Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:10 pm Luke 5.33-39, the controversy over fasting.

33 Οἱ δὲ εἶπαν πρὸς αὐτόν, Οἱ μαθηταὶ Ἰωάννου νηστεύουσιν πυκνὰ καὶ δεήσεις ποιοῦνται, ὁμοίως καὶ οἱ τῶν Φαρισαίων, οἱ δὲ σοὶ ἐσθίουσιν καὶ πίνουσιν. 34 ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν πρὸς αὐτούς, Μὴ δύνασθε τοὺς υἱοὺς τοῦ νυμφῶνος ἐν ᾧ ὁ νυμφίος μετ' αὐτῶν ἐστιν ποιῆσαι νηστεῦσαὶ; [Marcion: μὴ δύνανται νηστεύειν ο υἱοὶ τοῦ νυμφῶνος, ἐφ᾽ ὅσον μετ᾽ αὐτῶν ἐστιν ὁ νύμφιος.] 35 ἐλεύσονται δὲ ἡμέραι, καὶ ὁταν ἀπαρθῇ ἀπ' αὐτῶν ὁ νυμφίος τότε νηστεύσουσιν ἐν ἐκείναις ταῖς ἡμέραις. 36 Ἔλεγεν δὲ καὶ παραβολὴν πρὸς αὐτοὺς ὅτι Οὐδεὶς ἐπίβλημα ῥάκους ἀγνάφου ἀπὸ ἱματίου καινοῦ σχίσας ἐπιβάλλει ἐπὶ ἱμάτιον παλαιόν· εἰ δὲ μή γε, καὶ τὸ καινὸν σχίσει καὶ τῷ παλαιῷ οὐ συμφωνήσει τὸ ἐπίβλημα τὸ ἀπὸ τοῦ καινοῦ. 37 καὶ οὐδεὶς βάλλει οἶνον νέον εἰς ἀσκοὺς παλαιούς· εἰ δὲ μή γε, ῥήξει ὁ οἶνος ὁ νέος τοὺς ἀσκούς, καὶ αὐτὸς ἐκχυθήσεται καὶ οἱ ἀσκοὶ ἀπολοῦνται· 38 ἀλλὰ οἶνον νέον εἰς ἀσκοὺς καινοὺς βλητέον. 39 [καὶ] οὐδεὶς πιὼν παλαιὸν θέλει νέον· λέγει γάρ, Ὁ παλαιὸς χρηστός ἐστιν. 33 They said to him,Why do John’s disciples often fast and pray, likewise also the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours eat and drink?” 34 He said to them,The friends of the bridechamber cannot fast as long as [Marcion: while] the bridegroom is with them, can they?35 But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them. Then they will fast in those days.” 36 He also told a parable to them. “No one puts a piece of unshrunk fabric from a new garment on an old garment, or else he will tear the new, and also the piece from the new will not match the old. 37 No one puts new wine into old wine skins, or else the new wine will burst the skins, and it will be spilled, and the skins will be destroyed. 38 But new wine must be put into fresh wine skins, and both are preserved. 39 No man having drunk old wine immediately desires new, for he says, ‘The old is better.’ ”

Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

Ken Olson wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:53 am
Irish1975 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:55 am Do people ignore Klinghardt because his 2 volumes are too expensive, or because his argumentation is too technical and dense (true enough), or because they think they understand him and judge that his case is weak, or has been refuted (by someone) already?
I don't ignore Klinghardt (Oldest Gospel, 2019), but I do find his arguments very difficult to follow as it isn't really clear which claims are his premises and which are his conclusions. I've occasionally discussed his work with other scholars and found my experience is not uncommon. As far as I'm aware, no one on this list has given a recap of his arguments in the form of a formal argument with premises and conclusions clearly stated, and if that's correct (you can correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think it's just the people who disagree with Klinghardt on Marcionite priority who are ignoring his arguments. If you do understand his technical and dense argumentation, perhaps you or someone else on the list could give maybe three examples of a Klinghardt argument for the absolute priority of Marcion that clearly outlines his thought process and how he arrives at the conclusion that the Evangelion is prior to the four canonical gospels.

I did pay close attention to Klinghardt's 2008 paper and found it self-contradictory. The premises he uses to reject the Farrer theory are then rejected when he comes to his own theory. I called this a 'methodological nightmare' on the list back in 2016:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2159&start=20

Klinghardt has changed his positions since then. In his paper 'Marcion's Gospel and the New Testament: Catalyst or Consequence' NTS 23 (2017) he makes the very interesting argument that the Evangelion is unlikely to be a cut down version of Luke because there would be no discernible theological agenda behind the excisions - all the ideas in Luke that might be considered objectionable to Marcion (e.g., God's fulfillment of the promises he made in the OT) do show up in the Evangelion somewhere, so it's hard to explain why Marcion would have made the changes he would have had to if he edited Luke. I think this is an interesting argument, though I'm not sure it's a valid one. But it seems to me that Markus Vinzent must reject it, as he thinks Marcion has a definite theological agena different from Luke (not just those who defend Markan priority).

So where are the people who are paying attention to Klinghardt's arguments and employ them in their own work? (Just to be clear, I do not mean people who appeal to the authority of Klonghardt or repeat claims he has made, I mean those who actually give the arguments they claim to be convinced by).

Best,

Ken

PS - Yes, I'm aware of the argument about the miracles done in in Capernaum in Luke, which does not have a precedent in Luke's text. That would be a problem if Luke and Marcion were all we had, but it's not a problem for Markan priority.

Ken,

You ask some fair questions. I think you are right that Klinghardt is hard to absorb, regardless of what one thinks of his thesis. It would be a challenge to outline his thought process. And yet it needs doing.

From what I recall of my reading of a few months ago, below are some of Klinghardt’s essential methodological/theoretical claims, as interpreted by me. I hope to have time soon to review his book again, and get down to specific textual questions.

1. The Tertullian/Harnack hypothesis that Marcion cut up Luke according to a definite theological agenda has always been hopelessly incoherent, if not absurd. Tertullian himself betrays this awareness in numerous places, where he indicts Marcion for doing such a terrible job of committing the very crime that Tertullian himself imputes to him, and which is the basis of Adversus Marcionem from start to finish. Tertullian never questions the indictment of Marcion that he inherits from Irenaeus, or his own monstrous portrait of an evil mus ponticus (the mouse from Pontus).

THERE ARE NO WRITINGS OF MARCION, of course. Nothing against which to test the validity of the most basic claims and allegations of Justin, Irenaeus, Tertullian. The entire Christian tradition about Marcion is a Moscow show trial of a criminal defendant who was “disappeared” from the start, and made into a cartoon arch heretic (who evolves like Mickey Mouse). Klinghardt is not alone on this point (cf. Tyson, Lieu, BeDuhn, and others).

2. One can only work with the Gospel and Pauline textual traditions themselves. Just as there has to be a relationship of literary kinship between Matthew and Luke, so there has to be a literary kinship between *Ev and gLuke. They are too similar not to be versions of one another. But the question has never seriously been asked and investigated, which was the original, and which the plagiarism? Klinghardt aspires to go further than anyone before him in trying to open the heavy door of this question.

3. The thesis of *Ev-priority had been considered for a time in German scholarship prior to 1850, but was never rigorously tested. The debate was scuttled before it really got started. The 2-source theory (Marcan priority, Q) became entrenched, and has been so ever since (despite being unproven, unprovable, and generally unsatisfying even to proponents like McGrath; while Goodacre, its fiercest critic, likes it and wants it to stick around). The unwarranted self-certainty of NT Studies about Markan priority is the culprit.

4. Our evidence for the text of *Ev is generally terrible, and far worse than almost all the would be reconstructors say that it is (even Trobisch!). This evidence is just strong enough to convince a rational person that a Marcionite Gospel text had really existed in the early centuries, which was eerily similar to gLuke, but also significantly shorter and with a few crucial rearrangements of the material. But this evidence is not remotely strong enough to provide us with a text as stable as the Church’s Gospel tradition. We really only have two witnesses to something quasi-complete, Tertullian and Epiphanius, who often give conficting testimony, and are anything but trustworthy reporters on the Church’s most detested heretic.

5. There is a systematic bias in Marcion scholarship, most recently epitomized by Roth. They claim, and want to presuppose, that there is a neutral way to establish Marcion’s text, by simply going through the witnesses line by line. But this is tendentious. The assumption of Lukan priority is there all along, steering the investigation, and coloring the interpretation of every word. Thus Klinghardt brings something of a Kantian/Wittgensteinian/Kuhnian awareness of presuppositions, regulative hypotheses, or biases that distort a supposedly purely empirical process of reconstructing a lost text. We know well enough what kind of reconstructed Marcionite Gospels result from the all-pervasive bias towards Lukan priority. But the debate is not a real debate unless and until the opposite hypothesis, the anti-traditional hypothesis, is given a fair shake.

Hence Klinghardt’s most important methodological claim—

6. The only way to investigate thoroughly the possibility of Marcionite priority is TO ASSUME THAT IT IS TRUE. Sounds like a perfect fallacy, right? Begging the question, petitio principii, circular logic! No, because the assumption is a heuristic assumption—before or until it achieves acceptance as a ‘scientific’ conclusion (the Germans use ‘science’ in a broader sense than we do). The postulate of Marcionite priority has to be tested against a very inadequate and very complex body of textual ‘evidence.’ This is just the same unsatisfying and laborious type of methodology that Schweitzer declared would have to be employed in quests of the HJ. In this case, however, there are only 3 possibilities to be tested (parent/child, child/parent, sibling/sibling), rather than indefinitely many.

7. Following on 6, the textual tradition of gLuke, especially the Western, needs to be included as siftable evidence for the Marcionite text. This violates a conservative assumption—which even Harnack knew to be false—that no traces of (possibly, probably) Marcionite material are to be found in the textual tradition of the canonical NT. On the assumption that Klinghardt’s thesis is true, of course, there would be nothing surprising in the atavistic survival of Marcionite text in canonical versions. But again, the thesis is always and everywhere asssumed to be false. Because the Christian tradition is so sure that it already knows who Marcion was, what his theological agenda supposedly was, etc, it cannot entertain the question as a real question. It doesn’t even acknowledge that modern textual criticism tends to presuppose historical claims about Christian origins that cannot be justified rationally, but are simply theological. Most importantly, the assumption that what became our canonical 4-Gospel Book, and what textual critics aim to reconstruct as “the original text,” are one and the same.

Last edited by Irish1975 on Sat May 20, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Irish1975 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:10 pm You ask some fair questions. I think you are right that Klinghardt is hard to absorb, regardless of what one thinks of his thesis. It would be a challege to outline his thought process. And yet it needs doing.

From what I recall of my reading of a few months ago, below are some of Klinghardt’s essential methodological/theoretical claims, as interpreted by me. I hope to have time soon to review his book again, and get down to specific textual questions.
Thank you for this excellent outline.
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

I think Giuseppe meant page 826, not 526, and Klinghardt is talking about the different introductions to the Lord's Prayer in canonical Matt and Luke.

K. looks at Matt 6.7-9:
7 “And in praying do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 Pray then like this:
And Luke 11.1-2:
He was praying in a certain place, and when he ceased, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.” 2 And he said to them, “When you pray, say:
K. deduces that Jesus' criticism of the Gentiles in Matthew and the question and the request for Jesus to teach his disciples to pray the way John taught his disciples to pray must go back to an earlier text (which he identifies with the Evangelion) in which Jesus' criticism was directed at John's disciples and then the two canonical evangelists changed it.

He brings in D (Codex Bezae) as a witness (I still need to look at that) and punts to Markus Vinzent, 'Methodological Assumptions in the Reconstruction of Marcion's Gospel' (2018). I have Vinzent's article and will have to re-read it, but at the moment it does not seem Klingardt has a compelling argument. He's merely pointing out a possibility and saying it's what happened.

Best,

Ken
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

Peter Kirby wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:29 pm
Irish1975 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:10 pm You ask some fair questions. I think you are right that Klinghardt is hard to absorb, regardless of what one thinks of his thesis. It would be a challege to outline his thought process. And yet it needs doing.

Thank you for this excellent outline.
👍
Philologus

Post by Philologus »

Goodacre is misusing Occam's Razor. That rule of thumb is about reducing the number of assumptions, not the number of entities. Goodacre says Luke copied from Matthew. McGrath says Luke and Matthew both copied from another source. They're both making a single assumption. So Occam's Razor doesn't favor either one of them.

I give Goodacre credit for saying in the video that he tested his own methodology on the Gospel of Mark, by pretending that Mark's gospel was somehow lost and we don't have access to it. In that thought experiment, he reached the conclusion that Mark's gospel never existed! To me, that shows that Goodacre's methodology is not a good one. By his admission, it failed to detect that the overlapping content of Matthew and Luke comes from a 3rd source (or more), which we obviously know to be the case.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ken Olson wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:33 pmJesus' criticism was directed at John's disciples and then the two canonical evangelists changed it.
obviously in Mark the analogous context of a rivalry with John's disciples is the polemic about the fast. It escapes me how one can harmonize this rivalry with the idea that Mark was not embarrassed at all by Jesus being baptized by John in the incipit.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:08 pm
Giuseppe wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:19 am The second argument is the harmonizing words added by Luke to the parable of the wineskins. There also, if only also Mark had the same harmonizing words in the epilogue of the parable, then there would be no difficulty in rejecting the Markan priority with the same easiness. Unfortunately so it is not.
Which words did you mean?
obviously the verse 38-39 are the quintessence of harmonization:

38 But new wine must be put into fresh wine skins, and both are preserved. 39 No man having drunk old wine immediately desires new, for he says, ‘The old is better.’ ”

Impossible their presence in Marcion.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Ken, this is another persuasive point:

Mark 2:18:
Now John’s disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. And they came and asked Jesus, “How is it that John’s disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees are fasting, but yours are not?”

*Ev 5:33:
And they said to him, "Why the disciples of John and the disciples of the Pharisees fast steadily and carry out prayers, but yours eat and drink?"

The Klinghardt's comment:
The introduction in Mark creates a mismatch: the Pharisees and John's disciples who came to Jesus address him in the third person about their own fasting practices.

(ibid., p. 561)

It would be very strange, indeed, that someone asks about himself in the third person. It is as if I ask: is Giuseppe right in writing this post?

The Klinghardt's conclusion (same page):
The question in the third person is thus a characteristic of the pre-Markan text in *Ev.