Does the lost Gospel Q Exist? | Dr. James McGrath Vs Dr. Mark Goodacre

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Does the lost Gospel Q Exist? | Dr. James McGrath Vs Dr. Mark Goodacre

Post by Secret Alias »

We are compelled to believe in the existence of Mark, Matthew and Luke because we have manuscripts. Their existence is therefore demonstrable. We do not have manuscripts of Q.
When mythicists use similar logic against the existence of Jesus they are met with ridicule.

Mark, Matthew, Luke and John were (together) the officially sanctioned "gospel" (singular) of the Church. Four as one is an absurd proposition. It is absurd to suggest that anyone NATURALLY understood four texts to be one gospel. But more than that we have testimony from antiquity that the Marcionites thought these texts were forgeries (De Recta in Deum Fide). They are forgeries. The Marcionites were right. So what are we left with? A choice between an undemonstrable source text and demonstrable forgeries. Bad choices. But it is an even worse choice to mistake canonical Mark for a source text for all gospels. It is only a source text for the forgeries of Matthew and Luke.

I don't get why we just can't admit we will never unravel the origins of the gospel. What the ur-gospel looked like. At least with any degree of exactness. It's part of life to accept limitations. The hubris of humanities scholarship. We would choose a certain nothing than an uncertain something. (roughly the equivalent of lieber will noch der Mensch das Nichts wollen, als nicht wollen.)
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

Peter Kirby wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:14 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

This philosophical razor advocates that when presented with competing hypotheses about the same prediction, one should prefer the one that requires the fewest assumptions - Wikipedia

In his article "Sensations and Brain Processes" (1959), J. J. C. Smart invoked Occam's razor with the aim to justify his preference of the mind-brain identity theory over spirit-body dualism. - Wikipedia

Karl Popper argues that a preference for simple theories need not appeal to practical or aesthetic considerations. - Wikipedia

In philosophy, Occam's razor (also spelled Ockham's razor or Ocham's razor; Latin: novacula Occami) is the problem-solving principle that recommends searching for explanations constructed with the smallest possible set of elements. - Wikipedia

We consider it a good principle to explain the phenomena by the simplest hypothesis possible. - Ptolemy

Whenever possible, substitute constructions out of known entities for inferences to unknown entities. - Bertrand Russell

The procedure of induction consists in accepting as true the simplest law that can be reconciled with our experiences. - Ludwig Wittgenstein

... the simplest hypothesis proposed as an explanation of phenomena is more likely to be the true one than is any other available hypothesis... - Richard Swinburne

The requirements of cognition determine the objective criteria of conceptualization. They can be summed up best in the form of an epistemological “razor”: concepts are not to be multiplied beyond necessity—the corollary of which is: nor are they to be integrated in disregard of necessity.
Leonard Peikoff
Paul the Uncertain

Post by Paul the Uncertain »

On the question of appeal to Occam's Razor

It would of course be better if Professor Goodacre were a member here, and so we could ask him directly what his intentions were.

Wikipedia has its uses, and it does show that "Occam's Razor" has meant many different things to many different people. With or without the backing of Wikipedia, I would be unsurprised to learn that an educated native speaker of English would use the term Occam's Razor to refer to a claim that some preference might reasonably be accorded to hypotheses based solely on things known to exist when those hypotheses are compared with alternatives which require the existence of things not known to exist.

I'm not prepared to weigh in on the merits of that claim, but it is a different issue than "counting" assumptions, and needn't be a claim about some general probabilistic advantage enjoyed by the "simple." It is also a different issue than inferences about the likely existence of things before they are first observed, and different from competitions among hypotheses all of which depend on the not yet known to exist (e.g. choosing the most promising proposed version of Q).

That's as far as I think I can take it without the testimony of Professor Goodacre.

Speaking of which, I did read his article on "erasure." I don't see where he explains why he thinks that modern NT scholarship would not infer the existence of GMark if it hadn't survived antiquity (except as its text is reflected in other gospels). It was an off-hand remark, however, and so again, without his clarifying testimony, there is a limit to how far we can comfortably engage his position.

Just as a general observation, "detector" performance is typically evaluated by the trade-offs it allows between "false positives" and "false negatives." This quality goes by a variety of domain-specific names (receiver operating characteristic, sensitivity and specificity, types I and II error, ...). Observed actual performance, then, would combine the inherent capability of the detector (or maybe "detective" if we're talking about NT scholarship as a whole) with a choice among the possible trade-offs.

My impression is that Q adherence reflects a robust tolerance for potential false positives (erroneously "detecting" a document that never existed). Some choice needs to be made, and why a consensus formed favoring false-negative avoidance isn't clear. In the missing GMark hypothetical, maybe scholarly consensus would strike a different balance, leading to a different verdict, while having the same "inherent" lost-manuscript detection capability. I don't know how you'd know where the balance would be struck, especially not knowing why the balance in the Q case is what it is.
Philologus

Post by Philologus »

Paul the Uncertain wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:48 pm My impression is that Q adherence reflects a robust tolerance for potential false positives (erroneously "detecting" a document that never existed). Some choice needs to be made, and why a consensus formed favoring false-negative avoidance isn't clear.
If we have both (1) indicators that Luke used Matthew, and (2) indicators that Luke could not have used Matthew, you naturally have to weigh the evidence for both, lean towards one while proposing a explanation for the other. Both sides do this.

Goodacre cites (1) as evidence that Q is not needed, and then proposes alternative explanations for (2). He seems to think all the changes in the Q material (i.e. #2) seem consistent with Luke's material, so Luke must have made those changes as he copied Matthew.

Q-Source proponents do the opposite, citing (2) as evidence for Q while proposing alternative explanations for (1). They seem to think the alternating primitivity of the Q material cannot be accounted for without an original 3rd source, not to mention the numerous surprising omissions in Luke (if he knew Matthew). Regarding (1), those could be accounted for by resorting to later scribal interference over the course of decades of copying, among other things.

Both approaches, in my opinion, are legitimate, and it's just a matter of figuring out which one is more convincing. What doesn't seem convincing is Goodacre's idea that we should favor his approach simply because it doesn't include additional entities.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Why do we complicate everything in this field? The question should be are the canonical gospels "elementary" (A substance that cannot be broken down into smaller parts or changed into another substance) to the production of gospels or are they derived from earlier sources? Why always make this about a Q? Clearly they are not original. They are forgeries. I fucking hate humanities scholars. They're always trying to make elemental questions personal (i.e. about them).
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

Philologus wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:07 pm
Ken Olson wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:31 am We are compelled to believe in the existence of Mark, Matthew and Luke because we have manuscripts. Their existence is therefore demonstrable. We do not have manuscripts of Q. The existence of Q is deduced from the shared material in Matthew and Luke that they could not have taken from Mark AND the premise that one of the evangelists could not have taken this material from the other.
[...]
I think my argument here shows that the Q theory does indeed posit additional assumptions that are in need of demonstration beyond what the Farrer theory (Luke's use of Matthew) does. Do you disagree, and if so, why?
I think both hypotheses (the Farrer hypothesis and the two-source hypothesis) make the same number of assumptions. Therefore, Occam's Razor does not favor either one of them.

Farrer assumptions
1- Matthew composed the Q material.
2- Luke copied the Q material from Matthew.

Two-Source assumptions:
1- Matthew did not compose the Q material. He copied it from another source.
2- Luke copied the Q material from that source as well.

As an analogy, if you're a professor, and two of your students submitted papers that contain a lot of shared material, you will wonder whether (1) one student copied from the other, or (2) both students copied from an unknown source. Whether one possibility is more likely than the other must be established based on the material itself and not based on a principle that favors reducing the number of sources involved!
I've been trying to hold off on replying on the Farrer/ Occam discussion while I'm drafting a post on Klinghardt's arguments for the priority of the Evangelion based on the John the Baptist material, but I thought this required comment:
Farrer assumptions
1- Matthew composed the Q material.
That is not a basic assumption of the Farrer theory. Goulder tends to go that way, and so do I, but that's a further argument not a basic assumption. In fact, I think it's a bit unusual. Farrer did not hold it, nor, I believe, does Francis Watson (Gospel Writing, 2013) to give a more recent example. In fact, in the video which was the catalyst for this thread, Goodacre says that he got into trouble with some of his friend's on the Farrer theory [i.e., me] for saying that he think it's highly likely that Luke had a version of the Lord's Prayer before he'd read Matthew (31:00).

The model you proposed excludes the possibility that Matthew had sources for (some?) of his Double Tradition (not Q) material, but Luke took the Double Tradition material from Matthew.

I hope to have more to say anon.

Ken
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Again my question. Why does it always have to be referendums on "theories" that have egoistic "names" attached to them? [the answer is that the "scholarship industry" is built this way] The question is are the orthodox gospels fakes? We know the Marcionites (de Recta in Deum Fide) said so. The orthodox accusation of forgery against Marcion seems to echo this as does Celsus's "threefold, fourfold" statement. So the idea that the orthodox four gospels were forgeries is as old as the second century. Why do we make it about "Q" or this person or that person? Are the orthodox gospels elementary? No they are not. Why all the endless masturbatory discussions? Why can't we just agree Mark is only the cornerstone of the orthodox canon of gospels not elementary to the production of all gospels (i.e. gospels outside the Church)?

I think that it's purely aesthetics which determine the answer to this question. Does Goodacre really believe that the orthodox faithfully preserved "the word of God" or is it distasteful to imagine a universe with fake gospels, fake traditions? The point again it is not Q vs this or that hypothesis. The question is are the orthodox gospel fake, is Mark elementary or "elemental" to the production of all gospels. Of course it isn't. Of course canonical Mark is a fake. They're all fakes. They wouldn't have survived otherwise.
vocesanticae

Post by vocesanticae »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:15 am
We are compelled to believe in the existence of Mark, Matthew and Luke because we have manuscripts. Their existence is therefore demonstrable. We do not have manuscripts of Q.
When mythicists use similar logic against the existence of Jesus they are met with ridicule.

Mark, Matthew, Luke and John were (together) the officially sanctioned "gospel" (singular) of the Church. Four as one is an absurd proposition. It is absurd to suggest that anyone NATURALLY understood four texts to be one gospel. But more than that we have testimony from antiquity that the Marcionites thought these texts were forgeries (De Recta in Deum Fide). They are forgeries. The Marcionites were right. So what are we left with? A choice between an undemonstrable source text and demonstrable forgeries. Bad choices. But it is an even worse choice to mistake canonical Mark for a source text for all gospels. It is only a source text for the forgeries of Matthew and Luke.

I don't get why we just can't admit we will never unravel the origins of the gospel. What the ur-gospel looked like. At least with any degree of exactness. It's part of life to accept limitations. The hubris of humanities scholarship. We would choose a certain nothing than an uncertain something. (roughly the equivalent of lieber will noch der Mensch das Nichts wollen, als nicht wollen.)
Disambiguating voices, even underlying voices, is more and more possible these days with Natural Language Processing.

BeDuhn, Gramaglia, Daniel Smith, and I all concur that Marcion's Evangelion has two clear underlying sources. If the Marcionite Evangelion is earlier than canonical Luke (which it clearly is), and the two-source hypothesis for the Evangelion is valid (which it is), then that is likely the way we can reconstruct the earlier underlying gospel strata/texts in this movement. The Qn source is highly coherent in terms of its overarching Aesopian framing, its combination of Aesopian logia/fabulae and pharmakos narrative, its persistent focus on the poor, its repeated emphasis on women leaders, and its linguistic patterns. These patterns, across many features, prove distinct from the two main sections that cluster/overlap with early Mark, which is focused on controversies over miracles and ritual piety, male characters, etc. As just one linguistic example, lemmas with "en" (epsilon nu) in them have a statistically significant variation between these two portions of the Evangelion, with extremely high frequency rates in Qn, and extremely low frequency rates in early Mark.

Rigorous data science can clarify far beyond the muddled mess that currently obtains.

If scientists today can map black holes that formed billions of years ago billions of light years away (!), then we sure as heck should be able to reconstruct significant voices echoing to us from and through the texts of 2000 years ago.

The admission that a person or group of people in the past haven't been able to achieve scientific-historical clarity should never be confused with the proposition that a new scientific achievement cannot occur, now or in the future.
Last edited by vocesanticae on Sun May 28, 2023 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
vocesanticae

Post by vocesanticae »

lsayre wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:43 am
Peter Kirby wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:14 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

This philosophical razor advocates that when presented with competing hypotheses about the same prediction, one should prefer the one that requires the fewest assumptions - Wikipedia

In his article "Sensations and Brain Processes" (1959), J. J. C. Smart invoked Occam's razor with the aim to justify his preference of the mind-brain identity theory over spirit-body dualism. - Wikipedia

Karl Popper argues that a preference for simple theories need not appeal to practical or aesthetic considerations. - Wikipedia

In philosophy, Occam's razor (also spelled Ockham's razor or Ocham's razor; Latin: novacula Occami) is the problem-solving principle that recommends searching for explanations constructed with the smallest possible set of elements. - Wikipedia

We consider it a good principle to explain the phenomena by the simplest hypothesis possible. - Ptolemy

Whenever possible, substitute constructions out of known entities for inferences to unknown entities. - Bertrand Russell

The procedure of induction consists in accepting as true the simplest law that can be reconciled with our experiences. - Ludwig Wittgenstein

... the simplest hypothesis proposed as an explanation of phenomena is more likely to be the true one than is any other available hypothesis... - Richard Swinburne

The requirements of cognition determine the objective criteria of conceptualization. They can be summed up best in the form of an epistemological “razor”: concepts are not to be multiplied beyond necessity—the corollary of which is: nor are they to be integrated in disregard of necessity.
Leonard Peikoff
It's quite extraordinary to me how often this philosophical principle is used in defense of the assumption that the canonical scriptures were one off-compositions in single moments in time, rather than evolving processes, all reinforcing the mythical-hagiographical idea of apostolic authorship for these (and only these) four texts. Conveniently fideistic logic, one might say.

Literary production and compilation are evolutionary processes. Occam's razor should begin with an evolutionary model as the base assumption. Only when and if absolute integrity of vocal patterns can be shown for texts should they be presumed to be single-author and single-moment compositions.

The radical disparities between the Marcionite Apostolos and Evangelion and their canonical counterparts are clear evidence of this multi-stage, evolutionary, even dialectical process permeating literary production.
Irish1975

Post by Irish1975 »

vocesanticae wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:59 am
Secret Alias wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:15 am

Disambiguating voices, even underlying voices, is more and more possible these days with Natural Language Processing.

BeDuhn, Gramaglia, Daniel Smith, and I all concur that Marcion's Evangelion has two clear underlying sources. If the Marcionite Evangelion is earlier than canonical Luke (which it clearly is), and the two-source hypothesis for the Evangelion is valid (which it is), then that is likely the way we can reconstruct the earlier underlying gospel strata/texts in this movement. The Qn source is highly coherent in terms of its overarching Aesopian framing, its combination of Aesopian logia/fabulae and pharmakos narrative, its persistent focus on the poor, its repeated emphasis on women leaders, and its linguistic patterns. These patterns, across many features, prove distinct from the two main sections that cluster/overlap with early Mark, which is focused on controversies over miracles and ritual piety, male characters, etc. As just one linguistic example, lemmas with "en" (episolon nu) in them have a statistically significant variation between these two portions of the Evangelion, with extremely high frequency rates in Qn, and extremely low frequency rates in early Mark.

Rigorous data science can clarify far beyond the muddled mess that currently obtains.

If scientists today can map black holes that formed billions of years ago billions of light years away (!), then we sure as heck should be able to reconstruct significant voices echoing to us from and through the texts of 2000 years ago.

The admission that a person or group of people haven't been able to achieve scientific-historical clarity in the pass should never be confused with the proposition that a new scientific achievement cannot occur, now or in the future.
I may be misunderstanding you, but you seem to conflate your own theory of “Qn” and what it “means,” with the methods of computational linguistics and open source knowledge that (very admirably) you promote.

There is a logical chasm between this claim, which anyone must admit —
And this cluster of claims, which contains some very loaded exegesis —
If the Marcionite Evangelion is earlier than canonical Luke (which it clearly is), and the two-source hypothesis for the Evangelion is valid (which it is), then that is likely the way we can reconstruct the earlier underlying gospel strata/texts in this movement. The Qn source is highly coherent in terms of its overarching Aesopian framing, its combination of Aesopian logia/fabulae and pharmakos narrative, its persistent focus on the poor, its repeated emphasis on women leaders, and its linguistic patterns. These patterns, across many features, prove distinct from the two main sections that cluster/overlap with early Mark, which is focused on controversies over miracles and ritual piety, male characters, etc.
I really don’t object to the substance of this portait, as a theory. It may be as correct as any portrait can be of earliest Christianity (or whatever we should call it). My problem is that you seem to think that this account just falls out of the “science” as the only possible account. In the recent youtube, your disparage standard accounts as “pet” theories, but seem to think that yours is not a pet theory. But the “Aesopian” and “pharmakos” characterizations, as well as the strong claims about class and gender, are very much interpretations or meanings that seek to define. They are in a different category from those “linguistic patterns” that are susceptible of quantitative analysis. I am trying to make a basic appeal to the distinction between the hermeneutics of a cultural artifact like the Bible, and any scientific comprehension of its outward, empirical, quantifiable attributes.

As for the Marcionite text in particular, you declare that “the two-source hypothesis for the Evangelion is valid.” I can see the outline of such a theory in BeDuhn 2013, except that Jason is quite careful to distinguish between what he knows, and what he thinks a reasonable theory (of a Q within *Ev) would look like. But you seem confident that the two-source idea has already been demonstrated and widely accepted.

What am I not understanding?