Has Mark a problem with Capernaum?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Paul the Uncertain

Re: Has Mark a problem with Capernaum?

Post by Paul the Uncertain »

misposted
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Paul the Uncertain wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:53 am your intention in the second post was to retract the OP as a whole
Precisely. I have seen that Marcion and Mark are totally identical as to the episode in Capernaum, apart the presence of disciples in Mark and their complete absence in Marcion. This fact has made me remember Dennis MacDonald's remark on the total uselessness of the disciples in Capernaum (in Mark), since, by mere coincidence, the hypothetical source Q+ postulated by MacDonald has also a Jesus active alone in Capernaum and Nazara.

I realize that Paul the Uncertain is eager to defend the artistical genius of Mark, only it is not more my interest. I am interested (here and elsewhere) about the relation between Marcion and Mark.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Paul the Uncertain wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:13 am
Giuseppe wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:54 am Mark places the amazement before that Jesus made the exorcism, hence Mark is obliged to have the amazement provoked by a teaching (and one that was not there!), not more by a previous miracle!
The text says the reaction was to the manner of teaching. That is, teaching with authority, and in favorable comparison with the performance by professional interpreters of the Law.

If you appeal to your wonderment at the order of narrative elements (the doubly emphasized "before"), then you ought to address and refute the possibility that the order reflects the author's aesthetic choices.Further, if the narrator's explanation of the listeners' amazement is "secondary" in your view (or the view of your chosen interpreter of the work), then you ought to explain further, IMO. In what sense is it "secondary," and to what?
Adding on to this, I find enough context here to understand the narrative in the order that it proceeds.

1:7-8 And this was his message: “After me comes the one more powerful than I, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. 8 I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

1:11 And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

1:14-15 After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”

1:17-18 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.

1:20 Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.

1:21-22 They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach. The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law.

The context preceding also shows how Jesus can speak and cause people to follow immediately, with words that would not work for people other than Jesus. And now let's also bring into view the ending of this episode here:

1:27-28 The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, “What is this? A new teaching—and with authority! He even gives orders to impure spirits and they obey him.” News about him spread quickly over the whole region of Galilee.

And this summary:

1:39 So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons.

And this before another miracle story:

2:2 They gathered in such large numbers that there was no room left, not even outside the door, and he preached the word to them.

This pattern trails off around here, as the author has many large crowds, many accusers, and supplicants approaching Jesus. But it does show three occasions in which the author has Jesus teaching/preaching before a miracle/exorcism, showing a pattern where the author wants to portray the teaching as confirmed by the miracle. This pattern, found twice in the passage in question (in the narration and in the people's summary in 1:27-28), then twice soon after (as quoted), explains the author's choice of putting the teaching before the miracle.

Last but not least, 1:22 shows that people were amazed at the manner of his teaching, but the people still did not express belief, only observing that "he taught them as one who had authority" instead of confessing his true authority. The author puts that confession of authority in 1:27, where the people say "What is this? A new teaching - and with authority!" This too confirms the author's scheme of teaching confirmed by miracles. It also plays on the ambivalence of "amazement." It's not enough to be amazed, but that amazement draws the people in to learn more.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Dennis MacDonald is correct in pointing out that the only teaching before Capernaum in Mark is 'the kingdom is near, convert" etc. Where is the surprise?

The antitheses have in nuce the effect surprise.