Strong Evidence Mark was the Head of the Alexandrian Tradition at the Beginning of the Third Century.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Strong Evidence Mark was the Head of the Alexandrian Tradition at the Beginning of the Third Century.

Post by Secret Alias »

It is well established that the title “Pope” came to Rome from Alexandria as the term is referenced in a letter dated to between 264 and 282 CE. Eusebius similarly references a letter which makes reference to “Pope Heraclas” who reigned around the time Clement likely died. The point here is that the Alexandrian Church was very developed at the time of the Letter to Theodore. The title is spelled πάπας both times. Nevertheless the name ultimately derives it’s origin from the Greek term for grandfather which can be spelled πάππος or πάπος.
The forms πάπος and μάμη [for 'grandfather' and 'grandmother'] (with simplification of the geminate consonants -ππ- and -μμ-) are both widely attested throughout the region.1

1. πάπος: TAM V 1, 98 (Saittai); TAM V 1, 681 (Charakipolis); TAM V 1, 764 (Gordos); TAM V 1, 811 (Dağdere); SEG 56, 1350 (Hasköy); SEG 57, 1249 (inc.); I.Manisa 360 (Zeytinliova). https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&h ... A+TAM+V%22
117. Ossuary of Papos with Greek inscription, 1 c. BCE-1 c. CE
Limestone ossuary, façade ornamented with two twelve-petaled rosettes flanking a third stylized six-petaled rosette, four vertical bead-and-reel bands on left and right edges and separating rosettes; cornice on all sides, cavetto at base on all sides but back. Identical Greek inscriptions shallowly incised above middle rosette (a) and on the right short side (b). Lunate sigma. Meas.: h 40, w 84, d 32, th 4 cm; (a) l. 5 cm, letters 1 cm; (b) l. 21 cm, letters 4-6 cm. Pres. loc: Rockefeller Museum, Jerusalem, IAA inv. no. S-746. Autopsy: 20 May 2009. (a) and (b): ΠΑΠΟΣ (a) and (b): Πάπος (a) and (b): Papos. Comm.: While πάππος means “grandfather”, the inscription here records the name or nickname of
the deceased, whether or not it meant “grandfather” (like Aba in no. 288, see comm. there); note פפוס ppws on no. 505 and compare פפיס ppys/Παπιας on ossuary at no. 412; for literary instances of Pap(p)os see Ilan, Lexicon I 301f. Bibl.: L. Vincent, RB 9, 1900, 106-12 at 110 (ed. pr). – C.A. Hornstein, PEQ 32, 1900, 75f. no. 3; Klein, JPCI no. 71; Thomsen I no. 201; CIJ 2, 1250; BE 1954, 24; Thomsen II no. 200; Rahmani, CJO no. 1; see bibl. no. 114. http://dge.cchs.csic.es/dge-i/lst-d/Boo ... 202010.pdf

https://www.trismegistos.org/ref/342956

πατὴρ Ἥρων Παώπεως καὶ ὁ τοῦ Πολίωνος κατὰ πατέρα πάππος Σαραπᾶς καὶ ὁ τῆς Μελ̣ανοῦτος κατὰ μητέρα πάπος Πουῆρις Παώπεως
As a Greek spelling of "Pope":
Moschos relays the subsequent exchange in Theodore’s own voice as follows: “I asked him, ‘Who are you, my lord? How do you wish to be announced?’ He replied, ‘I am Leo, Pope of Rome.’ So I went in and announced, ‘The most holy and blessed Leo, Primate of the Church of the Romans, wishes to pay you his respects.’ As soon as Pope Eulogios heard, he got up and came running to meet him. They embraced each other, offered a prayer, and sat down.” Καὶ λέγω αὐτῷ· Τίς εἶ, δέσποτα; Πῶς κελεύεις ἵνα µηνύσω; Αὐτὸς ἀποκριθεὶς λέγει µοι· Ἐγώ εἰµι Λέωνὁ πάπας Ῥώµης. Εἰσελθὼν οὖνἐγὼ ἐµήνυσα, λέγων· Ὁ ἁγιώτατος καὶ µακαριώτατος πάπος Λέων Ἐκκλησίας Ῥωµαίων πρόεδρος προσκυνῆσαι ὑµᾶς θέλει. Ὡς οὖν ἤκουσεν ὁ πάπας Εὐλόγιος, δροµαίως ἀναστὰς ὑπήντησεν αὐτῷ· καὶ ἀσπασάµενοι ἀλλήλους καὶ εὐχὴν ποιήσαντες ἐκαθέσθησαν. Pope Leo goes on to commend Eulogios of Alexandria for his defense of Leo’s doctrinal statements. John Moschos, Pratum Spirituale 148 in PG 87/3, 3012.35–42; trans. John Wortley, The Spiritual Meadow: John Moschus (Kalamazoo, Michigan: Cistercian Publications, 2008), 121–22.
On the existence of a leader of the Manichaean Church with the title "Pope" spelled Πάπος:
9 Alexander of Lycopolis, Tract. Man. 1-2 (Van der Horst and Mansfeld, 52 altered): οὐ πάλαι μὲν ἐπεπόλασεν ἡ τούτου καινοτομία—πρῶτός γέ τις Πάπος τοὔνομα πρὸς ἡμᾶς ἐγένετο τῆς τοῦ ἀνδρὸς δόξης ἐξηγητὴς καὶ μετὰ τοῦ-τον Θωμᾶς καί τινες ἕτεροι μετ’ αὐτούς [...] Τοιάδε οὖν τις φήμη τῆς ἐκείνου δόξης ἀπὸ τῶν γνωρίμων τοῦ ἀνδρὸς ἀφίκετο πρὸς ἡμᾶς
Footnote from
7 Lieu 2010, XX: “After the death of Mani, the first archegos was Sisinnios but he too suffered martyrdom and was succeeded by Innaios. Subsequent archegoi remained in Ctesiphon until the centre of the archdiocese was moved to the outskirts of Baghdad in the Islamic period. Later (c. 908 CE) the seat of the archegos was moved to Chorasan in Central Asia as the religion attracted increasing numbers of followers on the Silk Road”. Gardner and Lieu 2004, 24: “Until the tenth century the Twin-Cities (al-Mada’in) remained the seat of the archegos or imam. Ecclesiastical authority was mediated downwards via twelve teachers (magister), thence to the bishops (episcopus), then the elders (presbyter), and so to the general body of the elect and hearers”. Lieu 1994, 104- 105: “From An-Nadim's testimony, we know that the seat remained there until at least the end of the 8th century. “In the time of Abu Ja’far aI-Mansur (754-775), a Manichaean from Africa, Abu Hilal aI-Dayhuri became the Imam (i.e. archegos) of the sect at al-Madain (formerly Seleucia-Ctesiphon) - the traditional seat of the supreme head of the Manichaean church”. BeDuhn 1995b, 28: “At its headquarters in "Babylon" (no doubt Seleucia-Ctesiphon) resided the Manichaean "pope" […] This leader consecrated the twelve teachers, who in turn …”. file:///C:/Users/world/Downloads/1887_3188571-Chapter%202.pdf
The Greek name "Μᾶρκος" (Markos), which is equivalent to the English name Mark, can be broken down as follows:

Μ (mu) = 40
ᾶ (alpha with circumflex) = 1
ρ (rho) = 100
κ (kappa) = 20
ο (omicron) = 70
ς (sigma) = 200

Adding these values together: 40 + 1 + 100 + 20 + 70 + 200 equals 431. Therefore, the numerical value of the Greek name "Μᾶρκος" (Markos) is 431.

The name "πάπος" (papos) can be represented numerically as follows:

π (pi) = 80
ά (alpha) = 1
π (pi) = 80
ο (omicron) = 70
ς (sigma) = 200

Adding these values together: 80 + 1 + 80 + 70 + 200 = 431

So, the sum of the numerical values for the letters in the name "πάπος" is 431.