Ephesians 4 Chrestos/Christos

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
rgprice

Ephesians 4 Chrestos/Christos

Post by rgprice »

Ephesians 4:32 Be kind (chrestos) [and] tender-hearted to one another, forgiving each other just as in "Christ" God forgave you.

32γίνεσθε δὲ εἰς ἀλλήλους χρηστοί εὔσπλαγχνοι χαριζόμενοι ἑαυτοῖς καθὼς καὶ ὁ Θεὸς ἐν Χριστῷ ἐχαρίσατο ὑμῖν

I assume that in the early manuscripts Christ is written with nomina sacra. But is this not a context in which it would make more sense for what was behind that the nomina sacrum XY to have been Chrestos instead of Christos?
MrMacSon

Re: Ephesians 4 Chrestos/Christos

Post by MrMacSon »

I would assume good and kind could / would-have-been used interchangeably for χρηστοί (and coz 'tender-hearted' = kind, good is more likely here; ie. in Eph 4:32)

[καὶ ὁ Θεὸς ἐν Χριστῷ ἐχαρίσατο ὑμῖν = and the God "in Christ" [forgave you]] ie. dunno about / I doubt 'just as'
rgprice

Post by rgprice »

Yes, but I'm saying, what is more likely:

Be chrestos and tender-hearted to one another, forgiving each other just as in Chrestos God forgave you.

or

Be chrestos and tender-hearted to one another, forgiving each other just as in Christos God forgave you.

Is not the writer drawing a relationship between the terms he is using here, calling on the people to be "chrestos" like Chrestos, which doesn't work when saying be chrestos like Christos.

Be chrestos and forgive, just as through Chrestos God forgave.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

It's χρηστοί, a term also found in Clement of Alexandria.

I also recently noted an instance of συνχρηστοὶ ("fellow Christs") and Χρηστιανοὶ ("Christians"):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11482

I'm translating it here this way, because it almost always is translated this way (in either spelling), and Chrest isn't widely accepted as an English word, so the impact is lost in that idiosyncratic translation. But the point is the same.

So it can be, alternatively, read as χρηστοί = "Christs" if we're allowed to read Χῷ = Χρηστῷ = "Christ."

This may not be the best translation, and it depends on the assumption Χῷ = Χρηστῷ. I just consider it worth noting.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

I added this one:

viewtopic.php?p=164465#p164465
Ephesians 4:32. Be kind* to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ* forgave you.
* P46: χρηστοι, χρω
* Sinaiticus (01): χρηστοι, χω
* Alexandrinus (02): χρηστοι, χω
* Vaticanus (03): χρηστοι, χω

Without any implication that it's a strong argument.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

rgprice wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:05 pm
Yes, but I'm saying, what is more likely:

Be chrestos and tender-hearted to one another, forgiving each other just as in Chrestos God forgave you.

or

Be chrestos and tender-hearted to one another, forgiving each other just as in Christos God forgave you.

Is not the writer drawing a relationship between the terms he is using here, calling on the people to be "chrestos" like Chrestos, which doesn't work when saying be chrestos like Christos.

Be chrestos and forgive, just as through Chrestos God forgave.

NB.
MrMacSon wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:36 pm καὶ ὁ Θεὸς ἐν Χριστῷ ἐχαρίσατο ὑμῖν = and the God "in Christ" [forgave you] ie. [I] dunno about / I doubt 'just as'
I think "the God 'in' X forgave" might well have a different meaning to "in[/through(?)] Chrestos God forgave"

One might even wonder if an original meaning might have been, 'the good God forgave' ...