Basic reason why the name of Pilate was absent in the Earliest Passion Story extrapolated from Mark

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Re: Basic reason why the name of Pilate was absent in the Earliest Passion Story extrapolated from Mark

Post by Giuseppe »

DrSarah wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:11 am I don’t even know where to start with this. How would inventing a trial and sentence that didn’t happen have anything to do with proving that Jesus was the Messiah or the son of YHWH?
The two things have to be separated. The Roman trial was the "technical" translation of the celestial event (the earthly archontes, i.e. the Romans, replacing the celestial original archontes of this age). Hence a technical expedient, not the "goal".

The goal, i.e. the main reason for the invention of an earthly life of Jesus on the earth, is revealed by John 20:31:

But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Evidently, testimonia had to be invented to prove that Jesus was the Christ (these testimonia being the Gospels). Why?

I can only think that the reason was polemical: Christians had to be reassured definitely and decisively about the fact that Jesus was the Christ, against deniers who claimed the total estrangement of Jesus from the world of the creator god, and against Jews who denied the Jewishness of Jesus.

If Jesus had continued to be a celestial aeon (as he is in Paul), then the direction of the Christianity would have been towards the "Gnostic" anti-demiurgist (anti-YHWH) sects and not towards the Jewish roots. By historicizing Jesus, the first evangelist could point out that YHWH was the supreme god. A Jesus-aeon was a potential threat for the celestial supremacy of YHWH (and the historicist Marcion is evidence that even an earthly but docetic Jesus could still continue to threat the YHWH's supremacy).