Dennis MacDonald's claim that Homeric mimesis goes against even the Marcionite priority over Luke

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Dennis MacDonald's claim that Homeric mimesis goes against even the Marcionite priority over Luke

Post by Giuseppe »

I would invite the Admin to change the title of this thread to "Is John the Baptist doubting/offended or not in Matthew 11:2?"

...since I would like to talk more diffusely in this thread about the recent book by MacDonald.

He writes:

Interpreters who grant Synoptic imitations of Homer, must also accept the compositional chronology: Mark --> Luke-Acts --> Marcion's Evangelion.

(Must the Synoptics Remain a Problem?, p. 12)

There is only an argument covering only a page.

Basically, MacDonald sees an enormous contradiction in both Mark and canonical Luke expanding sistematically the Homeric mimesis found already in *Ev (but only occasionally).

I don't understand the argument in the exact sense of the verb "understand". I would be grateful to someone who can explain me the point. I can show the screenshot of the pages of interest (half of p.10, the entire p. 11 and half of p. 12).
Giuseppe

Re: Dennis MacDonald's claim that Homeric mimesis goes against even the Marcionite priority over Luke

Post by Giuseppe »

This is the argument quoted fully. As already asked: if you understand it, can you resume it in more understandable terms?