Luke’s “Father, Forgive them” refers to the crucified criminals: a possible apostolic reading

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
allegoria

Luke’s “Father, Forgive them” refers to the crucified criminals: a possible apostolic reading

Post by allegoria »

[Luke 23:33-34]: And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” And they cast lots to divide his garments.

The argument summarized:

1. The Daughters of Jerusalem passage and the forgiving of the penitent thief (these surround the saying in Luke) suggest that the criminals are the subject of the intercession.

2. Christ interceding for his torturers and/or the Pharisees is theologically questionable, so the bare inclusion in Luke and its omission elsewhere should give us pause. The Gospel sayings of Jesus against the Pharisees consist of insults, condemnation, irrevocable damnation (Rich Man & Lazarus), a notion of blood guilt (Matthew 27:25), etc. Interceding on their behalf conflicts with the theme of the Gospel and the prophets referenced in the surrounding passages.

3. We have strong textual evidence of Christ forgiving wrongdoers who recognize their fault — the Greek word for “criminals” (κακοῦργοι) here is literally “evil-workers” — and this applies to the penitent thief.

4. The absence of specifying the subject in Luke is notable: no effort is made to direct this saying to a subject. There is no “and looking to the crowd” or “seeing the soldiers”. The previous saying just moments ago specified the mourning daughters of Jerusalem. Luke 6:20, 20:17 also shows Jesus specifying subjects for sayings. However, the criminals were just introduced, and their proximity to Christ mentioned in the previous words.

5. There are reasons as to why an original reading would fall out of fashion in the Patristic Age. An expression of blanket intercession to crucified criminals would pose unwanted political suspicion in the decades following the Crucifixion. (I do not believe that this is how it was read literally, but this is what opponents would say; I consider an original symbolic meaning). It would look like Jesus wanted high criminals to be forgiven at a time when the greatest rebels were Jewish Messianists. This could be why the saying is omitted in some of the earliest copies (see Ehrman for a different explanation: "Did Jesus Pray "Father Forgive Them" from the Cross?"). There would also be a political incentive to make the Gentiles and the Romans specifically the recipient of the forgiveness.

6. Mark 15:28, which is also omitted in early copies but found in later copies, specifically associates the criminals with fulfilling the prophecy in Isaiah. The complete condition of fulfillment of the prophecy in Isaiah 53:12 is that he makes intercession for the transgressors, and the logical reading is that he intercedes for the very transgressors he is numbered with. Otherwise he would be numbered with the transgressors but interceding for the transgressors of the transgressors… a very forced reading.

Daughters of Jerusalem
Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. For behold, the days are coming when they will say, ‘Blessed are the barren and the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!’ Then they will begin to say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us,’ and to the hills, ‘Cover us.’ For if they do these things when the wood is green, what will happen when it is dry?
The women weep for Jesus, but Jesus tells them to mourn for themselves. This is a saying which demands interpretation: why should they not mourn the Messiah? Mourning the Messiah would be an act of faith, and thus commendable. The answer to this problem is found in the early “participatory” reading of the crucifixion. The interpretation is seen in Apostolic writings: “those who come after me must carry their cross daily”, the baptism into Jesus’ death, “those who lose their life will find it”, mention of crucifying the flesh. Consider 1 Peter 4:12: “Do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed.” There is Simon who helps carry the cross before the daughters of Jerusalem, who is a figure of participation. Hosea, which Jesus quotes in the Passion saying above, also involves participation in the Messiah’s suffering:
Ephraim is stricken; their root is dried up

Give them, O LORD— what will you give? Give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts.

and they shall say to the mountains, “Cover us,” and to the hills, “Fall on us.”

I will return again to my place, until they acknowledge their guilt and seek my face, and in their distress earnestly seek me. “Come, let us return to the LORD; for he has torn us, that he may heal us; he has struck us down, and he will bind us up. After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up.”
We find a type of the crucifixion in the cautionary prophecy of Hosea, and this crucifixion is accomplished by all who “return to the Lord”. This is why the women are told not to mourn Christ, but themselves. “The days that are coming” refers to the anticipated punishment of God for sins, the womens’ own struggles with sin and flesh and temptation and trial (which so much of the Epistles speak about, as a primary “practical” concern of the faithful).

The Penitent and the Unrepentant

The criminals continue and efficiently complete the theme of crucifixion participation: they represent the improper and proper way to “carry one’s cross”. The unrepentant wrongdoer demands that Jesus save him without care for contrition. The repentant one says to the blasphemer, “do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence?” This immediately identifies a shared suffering with Christ. The repentant one again: “we are punished justly. We are getting what our deeds deserve.” This is the correct attitude of repentance, juxtaposed to a false attitude. We see the awareness of sin and acknowledgement of one’s transgressions (Psalm 51), for Godly sorrow produces a repentance that leads to salvation (2 Cor 7:10). The cross is the full embodiment of God’s wrath, which may lead to Godly sorrow for the penitent or worldly sorrow for the sinner.

According to this reading, then, we see a straight thematic line: the Messiah exhorting us to mourn for our own punishment, the Messiah numbered with transgressors and interceding for the same among the Cross (the punishment of God), the unrepentant blaspheming God, the interceded repentant acknowledging his fault, acknowledging his punishment, identifying in the suffering of the Messiah and acknowledging the Messiah (interestingly in this order), praying to the Messiah, and finally saved with a promised paradise. The intercession forms a key ingredient in the theme.

The reading in which Jesus wants to forgive his torturers is difficult (IMO impossible) to square with the rest of the Gospel, however antiquated the view. Matthew 25:41 shows no mercy for the evildoer and echoes the conditions of Isaiah 58:6. If punishments are deserved, then the Messiah would not pray that the undeserving and unrepentant be forgiven, as that would be unjust. But if the crucifixion is a symbol of God’s wrath, and a symbol of trial, and the pain of the flesh, then the intercession to the co-crucified makes the most sense: they are the ones who share in the trial of God, who are carrying their cross and have opportunity to repent (and perhaps, with intercession, correctly).

Matthew 20:23 reinforces this mystical(?) reading in an interesting way but I have already written too much.

To defend one more thing: why “they know not what they do?” See Romans:
For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words
andrewcriddle

Re: Luke’s “Father, Forgive them” refers to the crucified criminals: a possible apostolic reading

Post by andrewcriddle »

It is IMO unlikely that the crucified criminals would have been seen as acting out of ignorance. On the other hand Paul in 1 Corinthians regards the executioners of Jesus as acting in ignorance None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Andrew Criddle
dabber

Re: Luke’s “Father, Forgive them” refers to the crucified criminals: a possible apostolic reading

Post by dabber »

Who heard these words a few of hysterical woman? Did they have pen and paper on them? And 'Luke' happens to know word for word what said 100 years later in Asia Minor :D
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

There are legitimate questions about whether Luke 24.34a is original to the text of Luke:

Luke 24.32-28 RSV:.32 Two others also, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him. 33 And when they came to the place which is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on the right and one on the left. 34 And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.”(b) And they cast lots to divide his garments. 35 And the people stood by, watching; but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, “He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!” 36 The soldiers also mocked him, coming up and offering him vinegar, 37 and saying, “If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself!” 38 There was also an inscription over him “This is the King of the Jews.”

(b) Luke 23:34 Other ancient authorities omit the sentence And Jesus . . . what they do

I think Luke 23.34a is probably original and refers to those who put Jesus to death. This would seem to be in keeping with other passages in Luke-Acts, such as the stoning of Stephen in Acts 7, in which Stephen appeals to the Lord to forgive his killers:

Acts 7.59 While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.

There is also Peter's speech in Acts 3, where he addresses the people ("Men of Israel' in Acts 3.11):

Acts 3.13 Jesus, whom you delivered up and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release him. 14 But you denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, 15 and killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses. 16 And his name, by faith in his name, has made this man strong whom you see and know; and the faith which is through Jesus has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all.

17 “And now, brethren, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did also your rulers. 18 But what God foretold by the mouth of all the prophets, that his Christ should suffer, he thus fulfilled. 19 Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out, that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, 20 and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, 21 whom heaven must receive until the time for establishing all that God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets from of old.

Peter says that the people and the rulers of Israel acted in ignorance in having Jesus put to death and can still have their sins taken away if they repent.

For a full discussion, see:

Nathan Eubank, 'A Disconcerting Prayer: On the Originality of Luke 23.34a', JBL 29.33 (2010) 521-536.

PS. I see Luke 23.34a as a deliberate contradiction of Matt 27.24-25, in which the Jewish people appear to accept responsibility for Jesus' death for themselves and for their descendants:

Matt 27.24 So when Pilate saw that he was gaining nothing, but rather that a riot was beginning, he took water and washed his hands before the crowd, saying, “I am innocent of this man’s blood; see to it yourselves.” 25 And all the people answered, “His blood be on us and on our children!