An interpretation of Mark 9:1

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

An interpretation of Mark 9:1

Post by Giuseppe »

dabber wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:20 am
In the synoptics says " some who are not standing here will not die before they see the kingdom of God"
Mark 9:
And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”

2 After six days Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone. There he was transfigured before them. 3

Said, done.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Logical errors in Christ Myth Theory

Post by Peter Kirby »

Giuseppe wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:55 pm
In the synoptics says " some who are not standing here will not die before they see the kingdom of God"
Mark 9:
And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”

2 After six days Jesus took Peter, James and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone. There he was transfigured before them. 3

Said, done.
Does anything support this interpretation?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Peter Kirby wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:37 am
Giuseppe wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:55 pm
Mark 9:

Said, done.
Does anything support this interpretation?
It does not take much. In the apparent string of pearls that is Mark, the chronological reference 'after 6 days' is unusual, and it is there to signal the exception to the rule.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

On the other hand:

(1) Mark 13:26 is a later reference to "people will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory."
(2) There's no concinnity between "6 days" and a reference to "some who are standing here will not taste death."
(3) The transfiguration scene is also not commensurate with the phrase "kingdom of God ... come with power."
Giuseppe

Re: An interpretation of Mark 9:1

Post by Giuseppe »

I has raised an explanation but I don't believe to it.

I think that the failed prophecy started as a logion attributed to Jesus. Just as the prophecy about the first places that will be occupied by chosen people. Just as the logion about the take of the cross to follow Jesus.

In all the cases, Mark or *Ev created a narrative to explain the relative logion.

So "6 days" served to explain the failed prophecy placed in Mark 1:9.

Just as the request by the sons of Zebedee (and the two thieves?) served to explain the prophecy of the first places.

Just as Simon of Cyrene served to explain the logion of the take of the cross.

Hence a group of logia existed even before Mark or *Ev.