Equal Opportunity Offender: The Authenticity Side Misrepresentation

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: Equal Opportunity Offender: The Authenticity Side Misrepresentation

Post by Secret Alias »

I said already it made no sense to me why is the certificate said this that it should be placed on page 133 rather than page 1. I didn't understand why Tselikas would have brought forward a certificate like this as part of his case that the letter was a forgery given the fact that most of his arguments for forgery stretch the bounds of credibility. I also didn't understand how Kallistos could have written this certificate in 1976 and then modified his position so much in 1983. The bottom line is that I think human beings stink. They don't ever change their mind. They don't allow evidence to the contrary of the position they are trying to defeat all other positions. I want to distinguish myself from the majority of assholes I see walk the face of the earth by saying, "hey I think there is an error in a book which favors my position." I think my contextualization of Kallistos's position in 1976 is fair and reasonable. Those who exhibit the same asshole behavior I criticize will of course argue with my contextualization of Kallistos's position in 1976. I think they do this for reasons that have to do with winning scholarly debates rather than truthfulness. As noted the word αμφισβητούμενη which I have tentatively reconstructed as being in the certificate and means "disputed" implies that a discussion about the letter (not Secret Mark) pre-dated his writing of the certificate in 1976. His statements in 1983 seem to suggest an academic article in Nea Sion. If anyone reading this is near a library which has all the issues of Nea Sion and wants to help search for the truth, please let me know.

Quesnell writing on June 1, 1983 that Kallistos "remembers someone noting in some publication that some did report seeing this in the 16th ? 17th ? century"

Notice also that the suggestion is that there are other texts at Mar Saba which resemble the handwriting of the letter from the 18th century and that Kallistos is willing to take Quesnell there to see them. It is clear what Kallistos's opinion is. He thinks it's a disputed pseudepigraphon of Clement of Alexandria copied in the 18th century and goes back to "heretics" who occupied the monastery in an earlier period. There can be no doubt about what Kallistos believes in 1983 and what "disputed" means in 1976 (i.e. whether or not Clement actually wrote the letter) and the situation plays itself out over the course of the next three weeks.

I think this situation might explain why the letter was copied out into the "authentic" letters of Ignatius. The standard for "authenticity" or "genuineness" is held to whether or not Eusebius mentioned it.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I have sent my third email to the authors of the book just now asking for clarification.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I think there is only one publication that Kallistos likely found this reference to the Letter of Clement. Nea Sion. I only had access to titles from 1904 - 1939. Here is what I came up as possible candidates for his statement to Quesnell.

January February 1912 DIAKONOU T.P. THEMELI, Excursion to the Lavra of Saint Savva

July August 1923 ARCHIM. HIPPOLYTO Excerpts from a manuscript

Sept Oct 1923 ARCHIM. HIPPOLYTO Excerpts from a manuscript

Nov Dec 1925 ADAMANTIOU N. DIAMANTOPOULOU, Professor. Isidore the Pelusiotis

May June 1926 ADAMANTIOU N. DIAMANTOPOULOU ( PROFESSOR ), Isidoros the Pilousiotis

Sep Oct 1926 ADAMANTIOU N. DIAMANTOPOULOU (PROFESSOR), Isidoros the Pilusiotis

Nov Dec 1926 ADAMANTIOU N. DIAMANTOPOULOU ( PROFESSOR), Isidoros the Pilousiotis

January February 1931 ARCHIEP. IORDANOU T.P. FOUNDATION Various monasteries

March April 1931 ARCHIEP. IORDANOU T.P. FOUNDATION Various monasteries

May June 1931 ARCHIEP. IORDANOU T.P. FOUNDATION, Various monasteries

July August 1931 ARCHIEP. IORDANOU T.P. FOUNDATION Various monasteries

September October 1931 ARCHIEP. IORDANOU T.P. FOUNDATION Various monasteries

November December 1931 ARCHIEP. IORDANOU T.P. FOUNDATION Various monasteries

October 1933 Q. LEONTOPOLEOS SOFRONIOU, Stefanos the poet the Sabvaitis

November 1933 Q. LEONTOPOLEOS SOFRONIOU, Stefanos the poet the Sabvaitis

December 1933 Q. LEONTOPOLEOS SOFRONIOU, Stefanos the poet the Sabvaitis

February 1934 Q. LEONTOPOLEOS SOFRONIOU, Stefanos the poet the Sabvaitis

March 1934 Q. LEONTOPOLEOS SOFRONIOU, Stefanos the poet the Sabvaitis

February 1939 Q. LEONTOPOLEOS SOFRONIOU, Akakios Monk the Sabbatite

Nothing after WWII I can access. If someone is near any of these libraries please let me know:

University of California, NRLF
Richmond Field Station Bldg. 400, Meade and South 47th St., Richmond, CA, 94804-4698, United States

UC Berkeley Libraries
133 Doe Library, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 94720-6000, United States

Graduate Theological Union
2400 Ridge Rd., Berkeley, CA, 94709-1212, United States

Concordia College Library
Carl B. Ylvisaker Library
901 8th Street South, Moorhead, MN, 56562, United States

Dallas Theological Seminary
Turpin Library
3909 Swiss Avenue, Dallas, TX, 75204-6411, United States

Center for Research Libraries
Center for Research Libraries – Collections
6050 S Kenwood Ave, Chicago, IL, 60637, United States

University of Notre Dame
Hesburgh Library
150 Hesburgh Library, Notre Dame, IN, 46556-5629, United States

Concordia Theological Seminary
Wayne and Barbara Kroemer Library
6600 North Clinton Street, Fort Wayne, IN, 46825-4996, United States

HathiTrust Digital Library
1001 North Buhr Building, 200 Hill Street, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104, United States

University of Cincinnati - Main Campus
Langsam Library
2911 Woodside Drive, Cincinnati, OH, 45221-0033, United States

Pennsylvania State University Libraries
127 Paterno Library, University Park, PA, 16802-1808, United States

Virginia Tech
Newman Library
560 Drillfield Drive, Blacksburg, VA, 24061, United States

Dumbarton Oaks Research Library
1703 32nd St NW, Washington, DC, 20007-2691, United States

Library of Congress
101 Independence Avenue, SE, Washington, DC, 20540, United States

Harvard University
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 02138, United States

Hellenic College, Holy Cross Greek Orthodox
Archbishop Iakovos Library and Learning Resource Center
50 Goddard Avenue, Brookline, MA, 02445-7496, United States

Hawaii Pacific University
Learning Commons, HPU
1 Aloha Tower Dr, Honolulu, HI, 96813, United States

The British Library, St. Pancras
96 Euston Road, London, NW1 2DB, United Kingdom

King's College London
Subscriptions & Access, Room G.35, King's College London, Maughan Library, London, WC2A 1LR, United Kingdom

Radboud University; University Library
Radboud Universiteit Universiteitsbibliothee
Erasmuslaan 36, Nijmegen, 6525 GG, Netherlands
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I just phoned George Dragas and left a message to see if he remembers what journal article Kallistos was speaking about in 1983 where he saw the document referenced. Dragas was in the room listening to the conversation between Kallistos and Quesnell. I am going to email him the notes from Quesnell. Maybe it jogs his memory. I also sent him Quesnell's notes from that date as well as the BAR file containing the photos of the book and the letter from 1976. Hail Mary.