Equal Opportunity Offender: The Authenticity Side Misrepresentation

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Equal Opportunity Offender: The Authenticity Side Misrepresentation

Post by Secret Alias »

A receipt from the transfer, signed by Dourvas among others, has recently surfaced.7 The paleographer Agamemnon Tselikas discovered it in the archives of the Patriarchal Library in Jerusalem. The document describes the letter of Clement as “unpublished and without any doubts about its authenticity.”
The presumed source:

Even though I can't see where "unpublished and without any doubts about its authenticity" it is clear that it says something like "Clement Stromateus" blah blah blah "Theodore" blah blah blah. So if the translation is correct the testimonial contradicts Smith and Landau's hypothesis.

"unpublished" In Modern Greek, the term "unpublished" can be translated into a few different words or phrases depending on the context, especially when referring to texts, manuscripts, articles, or similar works. Here are some of the terms that can be used:

Αδημοσίευτος (Adimosieftos) - This is the most direct translation and is used broadly to mean "unpublished."
Ανέκδοτος (Anektotos) - Often used to refer to texts or works that have not been previously published or released.

I clearly see the word ανέκδοτον after Theodorw.

In Modern Greek, the phrase "without a doubt" can be expressed in a few different ways, depending on the context and formality. Here are some common translations:

Αναμφίβολα (Anamfivola) - This is a straightforward and common way to say "without a doubt."
Αναμφισβήτητα (Anamfisviteitα) - This is another common expression, very similar in usage to "anamfivola," and it also means "undoubtedly" or "without question."
Χωρίς καμία αμφιβολία (Choris kamia amfivolia) - This phrase translates directly to "without any doubt" and is used for emphasis. Here are some ways you can render the English of Smith and Landau into Greek:

Ανέκδοτον και χωρίς καμία αμφιβολία για την αυθεντικότητά του
Ανέκδοτον και αναμφισβήτητα γνήσιο
Ανέκδοτον και αναμφίβολα αυθεντικό
Ανέκδοτον και χωρίς αμφιβολία αυθεντικό
Ανέκδοτον και αναμφισβήτητα αυθεντικό
Ανέκδοτον και πέραν πάσης αμφιβολίας αυθεντικό
Ανέκδοτον και χωρίς οποιαδήποτε αμφιβολία αυθεντικό
Ανέκδοτον και απολύτως αυθεντικό
Secret Alias

Re: Equal Opportunity Offender: The Authenticity Side Misrepresentation

Post by Secret Alias »

As far as I can make out the sentence in question as "ανέκδοτον και" and then a word based on "αναμφίβολα" (= without a doubt).
Last edited by Secret Alias on Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

It sounds like a transcription of the Greek and a translation into English of this page would be nice.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Working on it. But Tselikas provided a shitty scanned copy of the letter.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

No one likes me on the authenticity side. Both Smith and Landau ignored my emails. Maybe you can ask. I told you, they hate me more on the authenticity side than the forgery side. Use all my research don't even give me a copy of their book thank me like I was on the same level as the cleaners who keep their offices tidy and then ignore my emails. Great people. It's the scholarly equivalent of "I won't cum in your mouth."
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I am guess the word for "authenticity" is γνησιότητα which I can sort of make out (maybe) a couple of words later.
RandyHelzerman

Post by RandyHelzerman »

*sigh* It makes me want to cry---official documentation of a very tragic decision. God save us from our own good intentions.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Another thing I love about the Mar Saba controversy is that you have the collision of two wholly separate worlds. The WASPs from Morton Smith down are like treating the Greeks like their fucking ornaments to the "main story" about an American "discovering" this lost text and the Greeks thinking the Americans are like unwanted parasites in the monastery, like there is a wholly separate relationship between them and the document in this letter:

No reference of Morton Smith or the publication of the book in 1973. The letter is a Greek thing. Two words, one WASP the other Greek operating side by side but without real relationship with one another.

The date of the letter appears to be May 18, 1976.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

*sigh* It makes me want to cry---official documentation of a very tragic decision. God save us from our own good intentions.
Believe it or not Randy, by knowing the existence of this letter and knowing what it says you know a key truth in this whole controversy that 99% of "real scholars" don't even know. Smith and Landau's book was published what, two years ago? Who read it from cover to cover? Not even me. What do we figure? Smith, Landau. The publishers and editors who put it together. Not even their spouses or mothers. Probably just them and like 5 people. And of those 5 people probably half were not paying attention. No one knows this fact that the Greek Patriarchate accepted its authenticity until Father Aristarchos took over the library.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Sometimes in life there is no good answer. If they left the book there the forgery or authenticity side would have bribed someone and tested the manuscript and if the results weren't to their liking they would have burned the whole thing. Just being honest. At least Quesnell got to see the book. That meant more than anything. الله أكبر.