Post-70 anti-Romanism in the oldest gospel fits Mythicism

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Post-70 anti-Romanism in the oldest gospel fits Mythicism

Post by Giuseppe »

I differ from other mythicists insofar I think that:
  • 1) there are traces of hate against the Romans in the first gospel (or its source).
  • 2) these traces of anti-Roman hate are evidence of mythicism.
While for other mythicists the replacement of the original killers (demons) with the Romans was only a technical expedient, I think that it was more than that: it was yes a technical expedient, but accompanied before, during and after by real hate against the Romans.

Before I thought that the demons were humanized (and made someway more good) by being reduced to Romans. Now I think that the demonic character of the original killers survived to their humanization as "the Romans".

The Romans are not the mere proxy of demons in the first gospel: they are evil just as the demons are.
Giuseppe

Re: Post-70 anti-Romanism in the oldest gospel fits Mythicism

Post by Giuseppe »

For example: Emmaus is the same place where Varus crucified many Jews.

Marcion was disturbed by the Gerasene cry "we are Legion" and probably he omitted the suicide of Legion into the lake because he didn't imagine that the Good God could desire revenge (at contrary of YHWH).