Mark's DiualCritical Marks. Names Use As Evidence of Fiction

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
JoeWallack

Re: Brother Can You Spare A Denari?

Post by JoeWallack »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56hqrlQxMMI
and last of all, as to the [child] untimely born, he appeared to me also.
But many [that are] first shall be last; and the last first.

Simon he surnamed Peter; 1. "Simon" is the first Disciple.
2. Peter Denied Jesus.
  • and James the [son] of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and them he surnamed Boanerges, which is, Sons of thunder:
1. 10:41 And when the ten heard it, they began to be moved with indignation concerning James and John.
42 And Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they who are accounted to rule over the Gentiles lord it over them; and their great ones exercise authority over them.
43 But it is not so among you: but whosoever would become great [μέγας] among you, shall be your minister;
44 and whosoever would be first among you, shall be servant of all.
2. James and John = brothers.
    • and Andrew, and Philip
Only one of the two (names) is identified as a brother, Andrew is the brother of Simon.
      • and Bartholomew,
    -
      • and Matthew, and Thomas
    Wait, no brother here? Wrong! "Thomas" means "twin" and if he was a twin he was a brother. So one (name) is identified as a brother.
    • and James the [son] of Alphaeus, and Levi,
    1. Alpha
    2. James and Levi = brothers (both sons of Alphaeus). KK has also pointed out the special chiasm here. "James" gets the special brotherly treatment here. An echo of "brother of the Lord"? I think so.
    3. Do I really need KK to point out the connection between the saying regarding Disciples "First last and last first" and the listing of Disciples with "Mega" (great) first and Alpha last for an author who used the Greek Alphabet?
    and Simon the Cananaean, 1. "Simon" is the last Disciple. (Since Judas betrayed Jesus he would not have been the last Disciple. Is this contrivance the reason for "Mark" to spoil the surprise?)
    and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him. 2. Judas Betrayed Jesus

Joseph

https://vridar.org/responding-to-adl-propaganda/

The New Porphyry
    JoeWallack

Re: Brother Can You Spare A Denari?

Post by JoeWallack »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56hqrlQxMMI
    and last of all, as to the [child] untimely born, he appeared to me also.
    But many [that are] first shall be last; and the last first.

Simon he surnamed Peter; 1. "Simon" is the first Disciple.
    2. Peter Denied Jesus.
    • and James the [son] of Zebedee, and John the brother of James; and them he surnamed Boanerges, which is, Sons of thunder:
    1. 10:41 And when the ten heard it, they began to be moved with indignation concerning James and John.
    42 And Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they who are accounted to rule over the Gentiles lord it over them; and their great ones exercise authority over them.
    43 But it is not so among you: but whosoever would become great [μέγας] among you, shall be your minister;
    44 and whosoever would be first among you, shall be servant of all.
    2. James and John = brothers.
      • and Andrew, and Philip
    Only one of the two (names) is identified as a brother, Andrew is the brother of Simon.
        • and Bartholomew,
      Jewish (generally also Christian) given name that derives from the Aramaic name meaning "son of Talmai".[1] Bar is Aramaic for "son", and marks patronyms. Talmai either comes from telem "furrow" or is a Hebrew version of Ptolemy. Thus Bartholomew is either "son of furrows" (i.e., rich in land) or "son of Ptolemy".
      fur·row
      a long narrow trench made in the ground by a plow, especially for planting seeds or for irrigation.
      So right in the middle of the parable of sending out seeds for planting is a furrow.
        • and Matthew, and Thomas
      Wait, no brother here? Wrong! "Thomas" means "twin" and if he was a twin he was a brother. So one (name) is identified as a brother.
      • and James the [son] of Alphaeus, and Levi,
      1. Alpha
      2. James and Levi = brothers (both sons of Alphaeus). KK has also pointed out the special chiasm here. "James" gets the special brotherly treatment here. An echo of "brother of the Lord"? I think so.
      3. Do I really need KK to point out the connection between the saying regarding Disciples "First last and last first" and the listing of Disciples with "Mega" (great) first and Alpha last for an author who used the Greek Alphabet?
      and Simon the Cananaean, 1. "Simon" is the last Disciple. (Since Judas betrayed Jesus he would not have been the last Disciple. Is this contrivance the reason for "Mark" to spoil the surprise?)
      and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him. 2. Judas Betrayed Jesus

Joseph

https://vridar.org/responding-to-adl-propaganda/

The New Porphyry
      JoeWallack

Judas Priest

Post by JoeWallack »

JW:
      I've previously indicated that I think "Iscariot" is a deliberate (near) anagram for "Christos". To strengthen the guess:

The Name “ Iskarioth” (Iscariot)
      In some versions of Mark 14:10—the basis of Matt 26:14 and Luke 22:3—there is a definite article, reading
      ὁ Ἰσκαριώθ
      (
      )
      c
      , L,
      Θ, Ψ,
      565, 892); if this reading isoriginal, then it may be that the derivative developments are independent amplifi-cations of this definite article.
      This parallels to "the christ".

Joseph
      Peter Kirby
      Site Admin

Re: Mark's DiualCritical Marks. Names Use As Evidence of Fiction

Post by Peter Kirby »

JoeWallack wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm 3

The Teaching
      31 And there come his mother[Mary] and his brethren; and, standing without, they sent unto him, calling him.
      32 And a multitude was sitting about him; and they say unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.
      33 And he answereth them, and saith, Who is my mother and my brethren?
      34 And looking round on them that sat round about him, he saith, Behold, my mother and my brethren!
      35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.
      29 Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or mother, or father, or children, or lands, for my sake, and for the gospel`s sake,
      30 but he shall receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.
      The Multiplication

40 And there were also women beholding from afar: among whom [were] both Mary Magdalene[1], and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses[2], and Salome;
      41 who, when he was in Galilee, followed him, and ministered unto him; and many other women that came up with him unto Jerusalem.
      47 And Mary Magdalene and Mary the [mother] of Joses[3?] beheld where he was laid.
      16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the [mother] of James[4], and Salome, bought spices, that they might come and anoint him.
      JW:
      The only named females in The Teaching & Healing Ministry are the multiplied Herodiasses, with the key relation of "mother", and Jesus mother Mary. Jesus' mother Mary follows him with the purpose of opposing him. In the Passion Ministry the only named females are Salome, who should have placed with the Herodiasses and is out of place where Jesus should have been, and 2-4 Marys that per GMark are not Jesus' mother Mary. Understand Dear Reader?

Christian Bible Scholarship has traditionally tried to claim history for the possible writings in the Christian Bible and then try to use this as evidence that the impossible writings are also history. Homey don't play that game. In the real world, impossible claims by an author are evidence that the possible claims are also fiction. You can not claim that you are unable to determine the historicity of an impossible event or be neutral towards it, and be a historian.
      I'll be starting a Thread here asking the question, how much of a discount do you apply to an author's possible claims if they make impossible claims.

Skeptics need to start doing more of the above, based on the extent of impossible claims, look for evidence that the possible claims are fiction. I have faith that "Mark's" Jesus would be sore amazed that readers are only looking for evidence that these "Marys" are historical.