"Paul" (Mucianus?)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

"Paul" (Mucianus?)

Post by Charles Wilson »

outhouse wrote:The problem here is, no one wants to admit to and follow any kind of historical foundation and build from there.
Rather than muck up another thread, I thought I would give brief exposition of "Paul". Some of this I've repeated before, some not.

1. Who was "Paul"? Paul - aka "Tiny" - is a character based on a real person, if Dio, Suetonius, Tacitus and others are to be believed. That person is "Mucianus", Governor of Syria and a Bitchy kind of competitor to Vespasian, who had been given Judea to destroy by Nero.

2, If Paul is based on Mucianus, what makes Mucianus so special? Please see http://www.ancientlibrary.com/smith-bio/2226.html . So much on that page makes its way into the NT it becomes amazing to behold. He held Imperial Power in his hands and gave it all to Vespasian. As a small "pointer" as to where this all goes, Mucianus, from Dio, gets all the philophers kicked out of Rome and then sorta', kinda' disappears. He is recorded as Suffect/Consul for a few years in Vespasians reign and then disappears from History, sorta' like Paul lives by himself preaching the New Religion and then *POOF!*, begone. This means that, as Moses couldn't have written about his own death, someone else supplying the penmanship on the end of Mucianus. 75 CE plus a few years. We will come back to this is a moment. The Timeline is greatly shifted forward, at least 30 years.

3. He may have been a Eunuch.
Suetonius,12 Casesars, "Vespasian":

"He [[Vespasian]] bore the frank language of his friends, the quips of pleaders, and the impudence of the philosophers with the greatest patience. Though Licinius Mucianus, a man of notorious unchastity, presumed upon his services to treat Vespasian with scant respect, he never had the heart to criticize him except privately and then only to the extent of adding to a complaint made to a common friend, the significant words: "I at least am a man."

There is more here than meets the eye, considering the preferences of Galba, Otho and Vitellius and from the Court of Claudius to laws concerning Claims of Rape to the wit of Juvenal but...
"Saaay, if Mucianus was a eunuch, was Paul? Hmmm..."

4. So, how do we get on this Mucianus Bandwagon? One place to start would be the "Vision on the Road to Damascus". Plainly stated, Mucianus was urged by Titus to end the feud with Vespasian and from then on, Mucianus dogs Vespasian to march on Rome. Vespasian heads west to Alexandria, Mucianus heads to the north, taxing and commandeering everythin not nailed down. Then, something happens in the Pontus, mentioned a few days ago. You know, Pontus, where Marcion was supposed to have lived his early life. See Tacitus, Histories, Book 3 for the Story of the loss of the Greek City Trapezus at the hands of Anicetus. Cross reference that with the "Queen's Eunuch" Story to see if any of this makes sense.

5. With me so far? ("No...") That's OK. Antonius Primus beats the piss out of Vitellius at Cremona and precedes Mucianus into Rome BUT has to give up power to Mucianus. Mucianus also has to baby-sit Domitian, dba "The Holy Spirit".

6. Now, about those Paulines:

1 Corinthians 1: 14 - 16 (RSV):

[14] I am thankful that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Ga'ius;
[15] lest any one should say that you were baptized in my name.
[16] (I did baptize also the household of Steph'anas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any one else.)

Tacitus, Histories, Book 4:

"The murder of Calpurnius Galerianus caused the utmost consternation. He was a son of Caius Piso, and had done nothing, but a noble name and his own youthful beauty made him the theme of common talk; and while the country was still unquiet and delighted in novel topics, there were persons who associated him with idle rumours of Imperial honours. By order of Mucianus he was surrounded with a guard of soldiers. Lest his execution in the capital should excite too much notice, they conducted him to the fortieth milestone from Rome on the Appian Road, and there put him to death by opening his veins.

I've dissected this section a number of times but let me add this: We find awkward passages where the previous Orthodoxy was just all OK with the passage as written 'til someone later came and pointed out how Lame-O this all sounds;

John: 20 - 21 (RSV):

[20] The Jews then said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?"
[21] But he spoke of the temple of his body.

"Forty-six years..." is a Time Marker and if you know which year to subtract from, you a date very important to maryhelena on this site. So some Einsteen comes along and adds "...But he spoke of the temple of his body..."
"WTF?!?? Jesus was 46 years old when he was murdered?" Uhhh...No...

So it is here. Look at 1 Corinthians 1: 17 (RSV):

[17] For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

HUH!?!!!

The Original had "Paul" almost appearing to give testimony that he only killed...that is, baptised Priscus and Gaius and the "family of Stephanas". Or was it Crispus and Caius, I forget. I DO know who the Family of Stephanas was. You can to if you look at Acts 6 and identify the one "Nikolas of Antioch" It would certainly take an Augustine Intellect to figure that one out.

We haven't even gotten to the Main Idea.

Maybe more later, I dunno.

CW
Last edited by Charles Wilson on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: "Paul" for Outhouses

Post by Peter Kirby »

Charles Wilson wrote:Who was "Paul"? ... That person is "Mucianus"
What reason do we have to believe that?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Peter Kirby wrote:
Thank you, PK. I want to approach this in a manner that you will understand, even if you do not agree. I won't re-argue Atwill, f'rinstance although if you want, I'll do what I can. Similarly, I don't think you want to go from Jannaeus to the final crushing defeat of the few Priests of Immer in 9 CE. Mucianus is 60 years in the future and the Hasmonean Priests cannot see much in the past themselves.

Let me start with this: If you do not believe that the Christian Doctrine Transvalued most everything in the Culture of Judea then I don't think we can make much progress.

Let's start with a first big ***IF***. If what I report is true then the 1 Corinthians 1: 14 - 16 verses are indeed from Mucianus or the very first editor and not only that, they are from a "report", perhaps, where Mucianus has had to justify what he did during the Interregnum before giving Imperial Power to Vespasian. This means that IF this is from the hand of Mucianus, it came from approx. 70 to no later than 75. Further, verse 17 (at least) is a correction of that since "He" didn't/couldn't remember if he had "Baptized" anyone else.

"Oh...GEEEZ...If he hadn't had to use those words. Let's see: OH! I KNOW! He was not sent to uhh...Let's make that "Baptize" 'n he was sent not to baptize but to ..."Preach". A..a..a..and with not too much eloquence. SAY!! Down the hall!...Was this guy s'posed to be eloquent or not...Ahhh, to Hell with it...."

So in this one small set of verses, we have evidence that something in the Paulines came post-70, probably way post-75. 'N that's a start.

Can we push this later than the late 70's? Of course. The Holy Spirit is mentioned and that is Sign for Domitian. Domitian has been Damnatio'd and that put the Authorship to no earlier than the (early) 100s. John barely has time to create this new Baptism of John and it's that quickly replaced by the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

I haven't even gotten deep into Acts yet. Hello Tacitus. Hello 12th Legion.

Anything here you want to start with, lemme know. I'm open to suggestion.

Best...

CW
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Charles Wilson wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:
Let's start with a first big ***IF***. If what I report is true then the 1 Corinthians 1: 14 - 16 verses are indeed from Mucianus or the very first editor and not only that, they are from a "report", perhaps, where Mucianus has had to justify what he did during the Interregnum before giving Imperial Power to Vespasian. This means that IF this is from the hand of Mucianus, it came from approx. 70 to no later than 75. Further, verse 17 (at least) is a correction of that since "He" didn't/couldn't remember if he had "Baptized" anyone else.
So in this one small set of verses, we have evidence that something in the Paulines came post-70, probably way post-75. 'N that's a start.
Those verses (1 Cor 1:14-16):

14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.)

How should we know that this has anything to do with Mucianus?

How do we find evidence here of something post-70?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Outa' time for tonite. Sorry.

Acts 6: 1 - (RSV):

[1] Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, the Hellenists murmured against the Hebrews because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution.
[2] And the twelve summoned the body of the disciples and said, "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables.
[3] Therefore, brethren, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this duty.
[4] But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."
[5] And what they said pleased the whole multitude, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Proch'orus, and Nica'nor, and Ti'mon, and Par'menas, and Nicola'us, a proselyte of Antioch.

From the ever-politicized Wiki-P (Or the Enc.Brit. 11th ed. if you want...):

"Antioch, Roman Period:

"The Roman emperors favoured the city from the first, seeing it as a more suitable capital for the eastern part of the empire than Alexandria could be, because of the isolated position of Egypt. To a certain extent they tried to make it an eastern Rome. Julius Caesar visited it in 47 BC, and confirmed its freedom. A great temple to Jupiter Capitolinus rose on Silpius, probably at the insistence of Octavian, whose cause the city had espoused..."

Could you accept that the list from Acts 6 that ends with "Nicholaus, Hero/Accolyte/Proselyte of Antioch" COULD refer to the Caesars (Julius being Dictator for Life) and that "Nikolas, Hero of Antioch", COULD be Octavian?

CW
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

[5] And what they said pleased the whole multitude, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Proch'orus, and Nica'nor, and Ti'mon, and Par'menas, and Nicola'us, a proselyte of Antioch.
Charles Wilson wrote:Could you accept that the list from Acts 6 that ends with "Nicholaus, [Tendentious Mistranslation]/Accolyte/Proselyte of Antioch" COULD refer to the Caesars (Julius being Dictator for Life) and that "Nikolas, [Tendentious Mistranslation] of Antioch", COULD be Octavian?
No.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Charles Wilson wrote:2, If Paul is based on Mucianus, what makes Mucianus so special?
Do you think Mucianus started the Hellenistic divorce of Judaism from, cultural Judaism? IE starting the movement whole cloth?

Did he find importance in Judaism?

Did he find value in apocalyptic Judaism?

Was he a Proselyte to Judaism?

Why was the resurrection so important to him?
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Peter Kirby wrote:
Charles Wilson wrote:Could you accept that the list from Acts 6 that ends with "Nicholaus, [Tendentious Mistranslation]/Accolyte/Proselyte of Antioch" COULD refer to the Caesars (Julius being Dictator for Life) and that "Nikolas, [Tendentious Mistranslation] of Antioch", COULD be Octavian?
No.
PK--

The "Tendentious Mistranslation" comes from Alexander's Aramaic Translation. This translation has helped me in the past is useful to see alternatives, which is why I put in the choices for words that come to us as "Proselyte".

You do not accept that the list is a possible inverted list of Caesars and while that is not a show stopper it leaves this chain of reasoning unconsidered. Too bad.

Acts 6: 2 - 3 (RSV):

[2] And the twelve summoned the body of the disciples and said, "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables.
[3] Therefore, brethren, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this duty.

This is a toughie for many Christians who find it odd that the body of disciples don't want to wait tables. The problem is cleared immediately if you consider the "Disciples" are the Legions and the "seven men of good repute" are the Caesars who were given the job of securing the food/grain for Rome (See: Pompey and Vespasian.).

OK: The short version:
Match the names on the list in Acts 6 with the Caesars Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero, Galba and...

Who is the seventh on the list? Who is Stephen?

Chapter 7 is another PhD candidate thesis but it is virulently Anti-Semitic and was inserted - maybe composed - into the story. It reads as being hit by a board in the face. I have one clue from, again, Alexander's Aramaic that it is a rewrite but that is a very slim reed on which to base any conclusions. This is the stuff Maccoby often complained about, a learned body of men acting as a mob.

Acts 7: 51 - 53 (RSV):

[51] "You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you.
[52] Which of the prophets did not your fathers persecute? And they killed those who announced beforehand the coming of the Righteous One, whom you have now betrayed and murdered,
[53] you who received the law as delivered by angels and did not keep it."

Ahhh yes, The Holy Spirit. That explains it. Written through the authority of Domitian and followers.

Let's come back to Chapter 7 another day. We have one more statement of interest here:

Acts 6: 15 (RSV):

[15] And gazing at him, all who sat in the council saw that his face was like the face of an angel.

BTW, Stephen wasn't Otho. There was another who followed Galba. 'N he didn't have the face of an angel either. This leads to the "House of Stephanas" in 1 Corinthians 1.

OK, enough fun. You don't want to go there PK. Your view is Complete and Consistent to you. So's mine. It's about all we could ask for. There will be other days.

Best..

CW
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

outhouse wrote:
Charles Wilson wrote:If Paul is based on Mucianus, what makes Mucianus so special?
Do you think Mucianus started the Hellenistic divorce of Judaism from, cultural Judaism? IE starting the movement whole cloth?
No! We have studies and books and lots of materials with settlements excavated with Greek layers followed by Roman layers followed by Byzantine layers with shards, coins, movie posters, the whole bit. Jannaeus precedes Mucianus and he was in wars with the Greeks. I am so impressed with how much Leibner's book offers in terms of physical evidence on the ground. The Hasmoneans figure that it's all theirs. They divide up Galilee, give settlements to various groups and then the settlements degrade, disappear with little evidence from nearby areas.

Acts 6: 1 (RSV):
[1] Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, the Hellenists murmured against the Hebrews because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution.

"Now in these days..." is a clue but the point of this is the Greeks are getting pounded by the Jews and the Romans favor the Greeks. You have some very interesting points, outhouse. I look at your term "Cultural Judaism" and I want to know more. Does Cultural Judaism embrace the Temple Cult as the Hasmoneans did? BTW, the Hasmoneans don't get off the hook so easy here, either. I believe there was significant opposition to the Hasmoneans from the Cultural Jews as well. "Tell me more..."
Did he find importance in Judaism?
I have my doubts. He traveled the Empire and wrote of the various religions he encountered. Judaism would not have appealed to him as a Base for his beliefs. He was at least a sexual profligate - even if possibly a eunuch from days in the Claudius regime. Remember Suetonius' report of Vespasian's "important" comment of Mucianus: "I, at least, am a man". The comment is listed as "important". It need not have been in the commentary at all. Someone is telling us something.
Did he find value in apocalyptic Judaism?
Syria and Judea were Hellholes, backwater Despotries near the ever present threats of the Parthians. Mucianus loves Titus, Titus convinces him to stop being such a goddam Bitch and Mucianus realizes he's on the first bus back to Rome. It's very important to recall that Antonius Primus held Rome after defeating Vitellius. Mucianus comes in, strips Primus of his power, controls Domitian and restores things while he himself had Imperial Power and he gives it all to Vespasian and then very nearly disappears off the face of the earth.

Acts 28: 30 - 31 (RSV):

[30] And he lived there two whole years at his own expense, and welcomed all who came to him,
[31] preaching the kingdom of God and teaching about the Lord Jesus Christ quite openly and unhindered.

There's a lot here to look at in 2 verses but these 2 years (If "Mucianus" <=> "Paul") are laying the groundwork. Mucianus is preaching of the "Lord Jesus Christ" and that's Titus. Perhaps the Sign's Gospel gets its start here. The Project will be taken over by Domitian but Mucianus is dead by 75.
Was he a Proselyte to Judaism?
He was a proselyte to money and power.
Why was the resurrection so important to him?
The Christian Resurrection had not obtained it's stature yet. For Mucianus, living in the 60s and to the mid-70s, the resurrection was directed against the Julio-Claudians. God Ingresses into the Caesars and the Fig Tree of the Julio-Claudians shall never provide food again.
Lotsa' Mucianus here and not much Paul but those were the questions you asked. So much of this is from the hand of Tacitus, in Acts especially. There appears to be an "Objectification" that occurred that changed the "Caesar Worship" into "Father-Son-Holy Spirit". The Damnatio'd Domitian holds a lot of the answers.

Thank you, outhouse.

CW
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Charles Wilson wrote: Does Cultural Judaism embrace the Temple Cult as the Hasmoneans did?

CW
Which part of cultural Judaism?

I don't really know the Hasmoneans relationship with the temple cult. I couldn't even tell you much surrounding the tying of babies around necks when they were found to be circumcised.

I know the Sadducees were a hated group. I know some Pharisees used Roman muscle to steal from peasants in the name of tithes.

I also have heard some Pharisees mirrored Zealots and were opposed to the Pharisees more open to Hellenism.

If I had to give a yes or no answer it would be no. There's a reason the Zealots took it out.

The temple was ran by Hellenist who worshipped Judaism, working for the Romans hand in hand to retain their wealth, and keep the money flowing to Rome.

The required temple coin had Melqart a pagan deity on the face, so I challenge how Jewish these hated people really were.

I think the puppet regime sums it up.

. I look at your term "Cultural Judaism" and I want to know more.

A single book probably doesn't cover all of it.

While Hellenism permeated all of Israel, many were not as influenced as others, and there was divisions between Hellenism and Israelites. I would say the division can also be described as Koine verses Aramaic. One could have been a born and raised Jew, the other could be a Proselyte viewed as perverting Judaism worshipping a Judaism light so to speak.

One stood behind Romans like the residents of Sepphoris, and the temple elite.

The other wanted to remove Roman oppression.

One profited oppressing peasants.

One group made up most of the peasants.

One lived in opulence, like Sepphoris.

The other in fieldstone windowless houses with walls packed with mud and feces.

Cultural Jews could be viewed as Zealots and some Pharisees and Essenes who were born and raised oppressed Aramaic Isarelites.

Now this is all my opinion. Hengel wrote against the old way of dividing Judaism as, Hellenist VS Jews and rightfully so as Hellenism did permeate the culture. I think we need a balance of both.