hypothesis about John the elder

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

hypothesis about John the elder

Post by Peter Kirby »

I look at the description of John in Polycrates, the author of Revelation, and the John the elder known from Papias who is supposed to have left a funerary inscription at Ephesus, finding a common thread running through them.

http://peterkirby.com/johns-priestly-pe ... rates.html

Following these clues leads me to the conclusion that the author of Revelation was a Jewish priest by birth and a Greek elder in rank, an Asiarch of Ephesus. Along the way, I provide data regarding Asiarchs in the province of Asia, which should at least be helpful to all interested in such things.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
avi

Re: hypothesis about John the elder

Post by avi »

Thanks for this link to your blog.

I had not known of Polycrates, before reading the material at your link.

You have provided some text from Ben Smith's site, but it is unclear to me, whether or not this Greek text is properly attributed to Polycrates, or instead represents Eusebius' description of what he claims represents Polycrates' text?

The coins were especially fascinating. Gold leaf, term goes back to ancient Greece, amusing.
Polycrates wrote:We ought to obey God, rather than men.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: hypothesis about John the elder

Post by Peter Kirby »

avi wrote:You have provided some text from Ben Smith's site, but it is unclear to me, whether or not this Greek text is properly attributed to Polycrates, or instead represents Eusebius' description of what he claims represents Polycrates' text?
I see what you did there.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown