The Marcionite epistle to the Romans with sources.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Jax

Re: The Marcionite epistle to the Romans with sources.

Post by Jax »

Yeah SA, I really hope that your wife does not have cancer.

Best wishes.

Lane
robert j

Post by robert j »

SA, best wishes for good news.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:10 am Thank you too. I am glad to have my low level of intelligence confirmed by the fact that I spent 30 years thinking about this one problem and you guys have spent a total of 10 minutes each year, and the right answer is just taking all the existing evidence at face value. Good to know that life is that simple.
:notworthy:

I just spent two weeks (one more than planned) plowing through Robin Lane Fox's book on Christians and Pagans. Reading reviews I see other people experienced the density and weird sentence construction that I encountered, hence the plodding pace at times. But I also noticed a lot of those reviews were from people who couldn't make it through the first half of the book where he describes pagan religiosity. I realized I've spent too much of my time on the Christian side of the equation, and wasn't as familiar with the 'Classics' as I was lead to believe through my Western Heritage. His book picks up in the second half, mostly because he discusses sources I'm much more familiar with. I really appreciated his discussions of Cyprian and Gregory and centering their writings in a historical context in a way that 'biblical scholars' fail to do with their unimaginative dogmatic reconstructions. The last 100 pages or so he really delivers on Constantine. This field is terrible, the Classicists rarely dialogue with the Biblical scholars and we all suffer.

I hope the best with your wife's diagnosis.
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:33 amOpening Post...
Ben, can you point me to the best resources that discuss a Marcionite/Early version of Romans that lacked chapters 9-11?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

perseusomega9 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:48 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:33 amOpening Post...
Ben, can you point me to the best resources that discuss a Marcionite/Early version of Romans that lacked chapters 9-11?
Most that I have read directly on this matter has amounted to little more than a brief summary of native German scholarship (Schmid and Harnack spring to mind), and I cannot read German. Indirectly, most of the commentaries and relevant monographs on Romans will mention how chapters 9-11 are their own digressive unit. For example, I just randomly selected Käsemann's commentary to consult, and sure enough, on page 253 he states that, apart from chapter 16, no other unit in the epistle is as self contained as these chapters are.

Peter Kirby points to Van Manen, who has a little bit about chapters 9-11 and their (non)relationship (in his view) to the rest of the epistle: https://depts.drew.edu/jhc/vmanrom.html (you have to scroll down about a fifth of the way). Peter also points to Weaver, but from the perspective that chapters 9-11 are genuine: https://books.google.com/books?id=tWSRe ... &q&f=false.

I am sure I am forgetting some sources, but again, I am also pretty sure that most of what I would be interested in is in German.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:11 am It's not that. It's just my wife might have cancer. Sorry.
I'm really sorry to hear that. All the best.

Andrew Criddle