The three phases of being "handed over" in Mark.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

The three phases of being "handed over" in Mark.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

John:

Mark 1.14: And after John had been handed over [παραδοθῆναι], Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God....

Jesus:

Mark 9.31: For He was teaching His disciples and telling them, "The Son of Man is to be handed over [παραδίδοται] into the hands of men, and they will kill Him; and when He has been killed, He will rise three days later."
Mark 10.33: "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over [παραδοθήσεται] to the chief priests and the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death, and will deliver Him to the Gentiles."

You:

Mark 13.9: "But be on your guard; for they will hand [παραδώσουσιν] you over to the courts, and you will be flogged in the synagogues, and you will stand before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them."

The entire book of Acts, of course, is explicitly conscious of this final phase; but it never seems far from Mark's mind (or Matthew's, for that matter), either.

Ben.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
JoeWallack

Re: The three phases of being "handed over" in Mark.

Post by JoeWallack »

Ben C. Smith wrote:John:

Mark 1.14: And after John had been handed over [παραδοθῆναι], Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God....

Jesus:

Mark 9.31: For He was teaching His disciples and telling them, "The Son of Man is to be handed over [παραδίδοται] into the hands of men, and they will kill Him; and when He has been killed, He will rise three days later."
Mark 10.33: "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over [παραδοθήσεται] to the chief priests and the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death, and will deliver Him to the Gentiles."

You:

Mark 13.9: "But be on your guard; for they will hand [παραδώσουσιν] you over to the courts, and you will be flogged in the synagogues, and you will stand before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them."

The entire book of Acts, of course, is explicitly conscious of this final phase; but it never seems far from Mark's mind (or Matthew's, for that matter), either.

Ben.
JW:
I have faith that you are increasingly receiving what I have delivered:

"Mark"=Simple Fish Story or Smooth Sualvific and Deboanerges

Of course "Mark" (author) uses the offending word much more than the above. The key once again goes through The Parable of the Sower (I think):

Strong's Transliteration Greek English Morphology
3752 [e] hotan ὅταν when Conj
1161 [e] de δὲ moreover Conj
3860 [e] paradoi παραδοῖ offers itself V-ASA-3S
3588 [e] ho the Art-NMS
2590 [e] karpos καρπός, fruit, N-NMS
2112 [e] euthys εὐθὺς immediately Adv
649 [e] apostellei ἀποστέλλει he sends V-PIA-3S
3588 [e] to τὸ the Art-ANS
1407 [e] drepanon δρέπανον, sickle, N-ANS
3754 [e] hoti ὅτι for Conj
3936 [e] parestēken παρέστηκεν has come V-RIA-3S
3588 [e] ho the Art-NMS
2326 [e] therismos θερισμός. harvest. N-NMS

So "Mark" does use the word "apostle" after all. I think the significance of what you have outlined Ben is that:
  • 1) At the text level the messengers are being handed over/delivered to opposition authority.

2) At the subtext level the teaching and sacrifice (note that teaching and sacrifice are always connected above) are delivered (by the apostles) to a larger outside audience.

3) The range of the offending word covers handing over against the subject's will to delivering for the benefit of the audience.

4) For Ben's excerpts "Mark" has used his customary Greek Tragedy style of irony where the plan is ironically always moved forward by the unwitting bad intentions of the opposition. It is the betrayal of his disciples that allows the Jewish leaders to seize Jesus and it is the condemnation of the Jews that delivers him to Roman authority and it will be trial by non-Jewish nations that will bring his teachings and sacrifice to the world.
"Mark's" source I think, which is often the case, is Paul:

1 Corinthians 11
2 Now I praise you that ye remember me in all things, and hold fast the traditions, even as I delivered them to you.
23 For I received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was betrayed took bread;

24 and when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, This is my body, which is for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25 In like manner also the cup, after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in my blood: this do, as often as ye drink [it], in remembrance of me.

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink the cup, ye proclaim the Lord`s death till he come.
The Teaching and Sacrifice go together as did the handing over/delivery.

Joseph

The New Porphyry
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

That's because Paul wrote 'Mark' about himself (see other thread). Great observation Joe.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

JoeWallack wrote:
Ben C. Smith wrote:John:

Jesus:

You:

Ben.
JW:
I have faith that you are increasingly receiving what I have delivered:

"Mark"=Simple Fish Story or Smooth Sualvific and Deboanerges

Of course "Mark" (author) uses the offending word much more than the above. The key once again goes through The Parable of the Sower (I think):

Strong's Transliteration Greek English Morphology
3752 [e] hotan ὅταν when Conj
1161 [e] de δὲ moreover Conj
3860 [e] paradoi παραδοῖ offers itself V-ASA-3S
3588 [e] ho the Art-NMS
2590 [e] karpos καρπός, fruit, N-NMS
2112 [e] euthys εὐθὺς immediately Adv
649 [e] apostellei ἀποστέλλει he sends V-PIA-3S
3588 [e] to τὸ the Art-ANS
1407 [e] drepanon δρέπανον, sickle, N-ANS
3754 [e] hoti ὅτι for Conj
3936 [e] parestēken παρέστηκεν has come V-RIA-3S
3588 [e] ho the Art-NMS
2326 [e] therismos θερισμός. harvest. N-NMS

So "Mark" does use the word "apostle" after all. I think the significance of what you have outlined Ben is that:
  • 1) At the text level the messengers are being handed over/delivered to opposition authority.

2) At the subtext level the teaching and sacrifice (note that teaching and sacrifice are always connected above) are delivered (by the apostles) to a larger outside audience.

3) The range of the offending word covers handing over against the subject's will to delivering for the benefit of the audience.

4) For Ben's excerpts "Mark" has used his customary Greek Tragedy style of irony where the plan is ironically always moved forward by the unwitting bad intentions of the opposition. It is the betrayal of his disciples that allows the Jewish leaders to seize Jesus and it is the condemnation of the Jews that delivers him to Roman authority and it will be trial by non-Jewish nations that will bring his teachings and sacrifice to the world.
"Mark's" source I think, which is often the case, is Paul:

1 Corinthians 11
2 Now I praise you that ye remember me in all things, and hold fast the traditions, even as I delivered them to you.
23 For I received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which he was betrayed took bread;

24 and when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, This is my body, which is for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25 In like manner also the cup, after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in my blood: this do, as often as ye drink [it], in remembrance of me.

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink the cup, ye proclaim the Lord`s death till he come.
The Teaching and Sacrifice go together as did the handing over/delivery.

Joseph

The New Porphyry