3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Re: 3-Year Ministry Timeline of Jesus

Post by Secret Alias »

Of course I am on ignore. You don't want to think about Josephus. You just want to stick to your moronic road map about 'Galilean revolutionaries = early Christianity" not recognizing that Josephus is not a reliable source. No war criminal is likely to give a truthful account of what they did during a bloody war. Why is a rich man from Jerusalem the commander of this native Galilean revolt? If you had read Josephus you'd see that he pretends that he was dragged into the war reluctantly because Agrippa and his secretary Justus did such a bad job managing things in Galilee. Sure that's the reason. Once you can't believe why Josephus is in Galilee the rest of his explanations are equally incredible including the 'Galilean revolutionaries' and 'Idumaeans' as the source of all bad things that happened during the revolt. Do you really believe that the residents of Jerusalem were held captive against their will by these foreigners? Really? It was all a big misunderstanding. I especially like the long segue in Jewish War where - out of the blue and without warning - the revolutionaries who hold the Jerusalem residents captive start doing a Caitlin Jenner and dress up as women - all of them! Sure that happened! A reliable historical source everyone can believe in!

Here is the passage:
And now, as soon as Simon had set his wife free, and recovered her from the zealots, he returned back to the remainders of Idumea, and driving the nation all before him from all quarters, he compelled a great number of them to retire to Jerusalem; he followed them himself also to the city, and encompassed the wall all round again; and when he lighted upon any laborers that were coming thither out of the country, he slew them. Now this Simon, who was without the wall, was a greater terror to the people than the Romans themselves, as were the zealots who were within it more heavy upon them than both of the other; and during this time did the mischievous contrivances and courage [of John] corrupt the body of the Galileans; for these Galileans had advanced this John, and made him very potent, who made them suitable requital from the authority he had obtained by their means; for he permitted them to do all things that any of them desired to do, while their inclination to plunder was insatiable, as was their zeal in searching the houses of the rich; and for the murdering of the men, and abusing of the women, it was sport to them. They also devoured what spoils they had taken, together with their blood, and indulged themselves in feminine wantonness, without any disturbance, till they were satiated therewith; while they decked their hair, and put on women's garments, and were besmeared over with ointments; and that they might appear very comely, they had paints under their eyes, and imitated not only the ornaments, but also the lusts of women, and were guilty of such intolerable uncleanness, that they invented unlawful pleasures of that sort. And thus did they roll themselves up and down the city, as in a brothel-house, and defiled it entirely with their impure actions; nay, while their faces looked like the faces of women, they killed with their right hands; and when their gait was effeminate, they presently attacked men, and became warriors, and drew their swords from under their finely dyed cloaks, and ran every body through whom they alighted upon. However, Simon waited for such as ran away from John, and was the more bloody of the two; and he who had escaped the tyrant within the wall was destroyed by the other that lay before the gates, so that all attempts of flying and deserting to the Romans were cut off, as to those that had a mind so to do.
Yes you are right outhouse. All we have to do is open our hearts to Josephus. No critical reading of his account of the Jewish War is required. Just accept the truth of the account and don't ask any questions. Believe that all of this - including the foreign rebels dressing as women - is factual!
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

I do not agree with you Stephan that this passage from Josephus' Wars was invented. Because Wars was published at most ten years after these events and there were still surviving witnesses who would have put to shame Josephus if the depravity of these Galilean Zealots was not true.
So here we are with these Galilean Zealots, who according to outhouse were pious Jews revolting against Hellenism. Does not look like that to me.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/i8265.html
Jerusalem was another story. Like Caesarea, Jerusalem witnessed massive amounts of Hellenistic and Roman influence, in particular through Herod the Great’s rebuilding of the Temple. This institution, which functioned as the center of Jewish sacrificial worship as well as the national bank and a tourist attraction, drew visitors from throughout the empire, Jewish as well as Gentile.
Gee, Jerusalem having become another Caesarea, a Roman colony! But wait: it's mostly about Herod rebuilding the temple (and let's not forget the bathing practices). That would make Jerusalem as Hellenized as Ephesus or Antioch (which really had massive Hellenistic and Roman influence, including their inhabitants speaking Greek). And I wonder from where, in ancient literature, it is said the temple of Jerusalem attracted tourists, Jews & Gentiles.

Cordially, Bernard
I believe freedom of expression should not be curtailed
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Because Wars was published at most ten years after these events and there were still surviving witnesses who would have put to shame Josephus if the depravity of these Galilean Zealots was not true.
The actual date of publication is disputed. Cohen sees Life and Wars going back to an Aramaic outline which certainly did not include transvestite warriors
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Bernard Muller wrote:
So here we are with these Galilean Zealots, who according to outhouse were pious Jews revolting against Hellenism. Does not look like that to me.

Cordially, Bernard

This is your dishonesty and lack of comprehension.

I never stated they were revolting against Hellenism, I stated clearly they revolted against people who were Hellenist. Stop reading what you want out people statements.

This is the same lack of context that leaves your work with less then no credibility.

Provide sources, your not trustworthy
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

I never stated they were revolting against Hellenism, I stated clearly they revolted against people who were Hellenist.
outhouse is very a funny guy. There he is sitting on the toilet with his little phone typing quickly on those little keys. His posts are always very 'clear' even if they are expressed poorly. He makes bold pronouncements about everything. Indeed like Rachel Ray has 5 minute meals, outhouse quickly reduces complex historical issues down to black and white dichotomies. On numerous occasions he has in fact argued that the rebels were revolting against Hellenism and Hellenistic values. But suddenly when put in a corner he turns around and say that he 'clearly' said something else. No outhouse you have argued on numerous occasions that the 'good guys' (implied) who stayed faithful to Judaism were Aramaic speaking Galilean Zealots who rejected the 'bad guys' (implied) who were rich sell pro-Hellenistic sell outs of the Jewish religion. Jesus apparently was on the side of Aramaic speaking Zealots. Odd that the gospel was for outhouse originally written in Greek (I presume). But even stranger is his obsession with simplifying the Jewish War into a 'tax revolt.'

Who is more likely to have revolted against taxes? Poor Galilean fisherman or rich business interest in Jerusalem? Obviously tax revolts are funded or supported by people who pay a lot of taxes and so Josephus the Jew from Jerusalem (not Galilee) is significant. But how does this fit with a revolt against Hellenistic values (as outhouse puts it)? It's all very confusing once you stop texting on the toilet and actually look at what you wrote.
iskander

Post by iskander »

Ged wrote:
iskander wrote: Jesus was crucified on Friday , 30 March AD 36 writes Robin Lane Fox in, The Unauthorized Version, page 34.
He writes that Jesus began to teach early in 34 and he was born in 12 BC.

When do you think he was crucified?
7th April AD 30
Why 7th April AD 30 :)
Adam

Post by Adam »

outhouse wrote: This is your dishonesty and lack of comprehension.
'Had you written at greater length you could have added "and comprehensiveness"
I never stated they were revolting against Hellenism, I stated clearly they revolted against people who were Hellenist.
with an "ic" ? or an "s"?
Stop reading what you want out people statements.
Say what?
This is the same lack of context that leaves your work with less then no credibility.
If it is LESS than no credibility, does that mean less than full non-credibility, thus somewhat credible?'
Provide sources, your not trustworthy
Since you have so much trouble with the contraction, why not just write out "you are"?
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Adam wrote: If it is LESS than no credibility, does that mean less than full non-credibility, thus somewhat credible?'
Poor credibility is not credible.

I believe there are other who hold less credibility then he does.

There are degrees of credibility.

why not just write out "you are"?
It is my years of writing from my previous uneducated background that keeps me making the same mistake. Habit.

I know the difference, I just forget.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

outhouse, a great scholar at work