1 Cor 15:3-11 once again

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

Re: 1 Cor 15:3-11 once again

Post by gryan »

Ken Olson wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:19 am I would date 1 Corinthians before Galatians (and perhaps before the Antioch incident described in Gal. 2.11-14), before Paul's relationship with the Jerusalem church deteriorated ... If anything, I would think 1 Cor 15.3-11 is authentic (the humblebrag in 15.10-11 sounds very Pauline to me) and that he's shading the truth or revising history in Galatians in light of subsequent events.
I've been pondering this off and on daily for the past week, and I'm inclined to agree.

When, three years after his revelation, Paul visited Jerusalem and visited Cephas and James, the Lord's brother, it may have been with an attitude of respect and submission characteristic of 1 Cor 15:3-11 -- which may have been a tradition he received prior to that first visit to Jerusalem. So, perhaps the final form of 1 Cor 15.3-11 was written by Paul after the first visit to Jerusalem, but before the second visit to Jerusalem when tensions arose.

At the second visit, 14 years after Paul's revelation, tensions emerged with literary parallels in 2 Cor 10-13, which seems to be a separate letter written about the same time as Gal.