Proofs That Jesus Existed

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
gryan

Re: Proofs That Jesus Existed

Post by gryan »

Kunigunde Kreuzerin wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:27 am
StephenGoranson wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:16 am "The Next Quest for the Historical Jesus is a conference and larger project ...

The organisers argue that the quest for the historical Jesus has stagnated in the twenty-first century. Nevertheless, the Next Quest project accepts two recent developments in the field. It accepts that the criteria of authenticity and other attempts to get "behind" the Gospel texts have been largely unsuccessful. It accepts that celebrated debates about Jesus's Jewishness have largely updated older anti-Jewish tendencies in historical Jesus scholarship. Building on these developments, the Next Quest is a statement about where historical Jesus studies can go from here, and essentially an answer to the question, "What's next?"
The Next Quest for the Historical Jesus will foundationally be a curious quest, a broader quest, a wide-open quest, and one that explicitly links Jesus studies to innovative approaches to Christian origins and the Humanities generally—and brings it up-to-date as a subfield within them both.
Argument from the question about the next proof

1. I accept that the criteria of authenticity is not a proof.
2. I accept that other attempts to get behind the Gospel-Jesus are not proofs.
3. I accept that signs of Jesus' Jewishness in the Gospels are not proofs.
4. But I ask: What will be the next proof?
5. I prophesy that the next proof will foundationally be a curious proof, a broader proof, a wide-open proof, and one that explicitly links our longing for a historical Jesus to innovative approaches to whatever you want.
6. Therefore, Jesus existed.
I'm laughing because this is an accurate representation of the promo for this conference!

I have signed up to listen in.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Same here. Nothing so sobering as watching people speak. I may be surprised, in fact I'm hoping for that to happen

I'm a hopeless romantic sometimes
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

1) a-- future-- conference on "...historical Jesus" has been announced
2) no one has yet spoken in it
3) therefore.............
JoeWallack

ARGUMENT FROM DEJESUS AD NAZOREAN

Post by JoeWallack »

ARGUMENT FROM DEJESUS AD NAZOREAN

1) They don't take DeJesus in Hell.

2) DeJesus accepted in Sievierodonetsk, The Constitution and The Capital (every 4th year on January 6th).

3) DeJesus, it's everywhere you want him to be.

4) Therefore, Jesus existed.