Did Mani Influence the Preservation of Anti-Marcionism?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Did Mani Influence the Preservation of Anti-Marcionism?

Post by Secret Alias »

I am reading an excellent analysis of the heresy of Paul of Samosata where the author notes that Harnack's identification of Nestorian traits in Paulianism have recently been accepted to be a result of later writers:
as dogmatic historians have become more critical in their use of the early Fathers, the neat foreshadowing of Nestorius by Paul and of Apollinaris and the Monophysites by Malchion has come under increasing suspicion. Did later polemicists distort, even at times create the record of the Council? The first document extant which quotes the Acta only dates from 429, one hundred and fifty years after the original controversy, and it is precisely an attempt to establish that Nestorius's Christological teaching repeats that of Paul virtually word for word. Later in the sixth century, alleged quotations of the Acta appear again in polemical writings by Leontius of Byzantium andJustinian to the same purpose. The Acta were also appealed to in the fifth and sixth century by monophysites against the followers of Chalcedon. In light of this history of their provenance, a new consensus has grown that the Acta are indeed an unreliable source which has been subjected to later Apollinarian and monophysite redaction and so should be treated with great caution in reconstructing Paul's teaching
As is well known there are two models for interpreting or understanding the Marcionite godhead - (a) that the Marcionites held there to be 3 powers (good, just and evil) and 2 powers (good vs evil). The dualistic understanding of Marcion derives principally from Tertullian though Irenaeus has both understandings. My question is whether the parallel preservation of Adversus Marcionem and Adversus Haereses (i.e. in five book volumes) points to a related preservation of both materials perhaps as late as the time of Mani.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote