Deconstructed Letters of Paulos

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
lclapshaw

Re: Deconstructed Letters of Paulos

Post by lclapshaw »

Ok. As I have stated, I don't think that Romans has much original Paulos and I suspect that Galatians has none at all. When I read Galatians after the Corinthian letters it is difficult for me to reconcile the style, message, and content of them. I will include it here but I seriously think it belongs in the same category as the Asia Minor letters. That is to say, written by others to sound like Paul. Anyway.....

Galatians

1Παῦλος (Paulos), ἀπόστολος (messenger), οὐκ (not) ἀπ’ (from) ἀνθρώπων (men), οὐδὲ (nor) δι’
(through) ἀνθρώπου (man), ἀλλὰ (but) διὰ (through) IC XC, καὶ (and) ΘC (God) Πατρὸς (the Father),
τοῦ (the One) ἐγείραντος (having raised) αὐτὸν (Him) ἐκ (out from) νεκρῶν (the dead) —
2 καὶ (and) οἱ (the) σὺν (with) ἐμοὶ (me) πάντες (all) ἀδελφοί (brothers), Ταῖς (To the) ἐκκλησίαις
(assemblies) τῆς (-) Γαλατίας (of Galatia):
3 Χάρις (Gift) ὑμῖν (to you) καὶ (and) εἰρήνη (peace) ἀπὸ (from) ΘC (God) Πατρὸς (Father) ἡμῶν (of
us) ⇔ «καὶ (and) KC» (the Lord) IC XC,
4 τοῦ (the One) δόντος (having given) ἑαυτὸν (Himself) ὑπὲρ (for) τῶν (the) ἁμαρτιῶν (sins) ἡμῶν (of
us), ὅπως (so that) ἐξέληται (He might deliver) ἡμᾶς (us) ἐκ (out of) τοῦ (the) αἰῶνος (age) τοῦ (of)
ἐνεστῶτος (having come presently) πονηροῦ (evil), κατὰ (according to) τὸ (the) θέλημα (will) τοῦ (of
the) ΘC (God) καὶ (and) Πατρὸς (Father) ἡμῶν (of us),
5 ᾧ (to whom be) ἡ (the) δόξα (glory) εἰς (to) τοὺς (the) αἰῶνας (ages) τῶν (of the) αἰώνων (ages).
ἀμήν (Amen).
6 Θαυμάζω (I am astonished) ὅτι (that) οὕτως (so) ταχέως (quickly) μετατίθεσθε (you are deserting)
ἀπὸ (from) τοῦ (the One) καλέσαντος (having called) ὑμᾶς (you) ἐν (in) χάριτι (the Gift) XC, εἰς (to)
ἕτερον (a different) εὐαγγέλιον (Announcement),
7 ὃ (which) οὐκ (not) ἔστιν (is) ἄλλο (another); εἰ (if) μή (not) τινές (some) εἰσιν (there are) οἱ (who)
ταράσσοντες (are troubling) ὑμᾶς (you), καὶ (and) θέλοντες (are desiring) μεταστρέψαι (to pervert) τὸ
(the) εὐαγγέλιον (Announcement) τοῦ (-) XC.
8 Ἀλλὰ (But) καὶ (even) ἐὰν (if) ἡμεῖς (we) ἢ (or) ἄγγελος (a messenger) ἐξ (out of) οὐρανοῦ (heaven)
εὐαγγελίζηται* (should preach an Announcement) ὑμῖν (to you) παρ’ (contrary to) ὃ (what)
εὐηγγελισάμεθα (we proclaimed) ὑμῖν (to you),ἀνάθεμα (accursed) ἔστω (let him be)!
9 ὡς (As) προειρήκαμεν (we have said before), καὶ (even) ἄρτι (now) πάλιν (again) λέγω (I say), εἴ (if)
τις (anyone) ὑμᾶς (to you) εὐαγγελίζεται (is preaching a Announcement) παρ’ (contrary to) ὃ (what)
παρελάβετε (you received), ἀνάθεμα (accursed) ἔστω (let him be)!
10 Ἄρτι (Presently) γὰρ (for) ἀνθρώπους (of men) πείθω (do I seek approval), ἢ (or) τὸν (-) ΘC (God)?
ἢ (Or) ζητῶ (do I seek) ἀνθρώποις (men) ἀρέσκειν (to please)? εἰ (For if) ἔτι (yet) ἀνθρώποις (men)
ἤρεσκον (I were pleasing), XC δοῦλος (a slave) οὐκ (not) ἂν (-) ἤμην (I would be).
11 γνωρίζω (I make known) γὰρ (for) ὑμῖν (to you), ἀδελφοί (brothers), τὸ (the) εὐαγγέλιον
(Announcement) τὸ (-) εὐαγγελισθὲν (having been proclaimed) ὑπ’ (by) ἐμοῦ (me), ὅτι (that) οὐκ (not)
ἔστιν (it is) κατὰ (according to) ἄνθρωπον (man).
12 οὐδὲ (Neither) γὰρ (for) ἐγὼ (I) παρὰ (from) ἀνθρώπου (man) παρέλαβον (received) αὐτό (it), οὔτε
(nor) ἐδιδάχθην (was I taught it), ἀλλὰ (but) δι’ (by) ἀποκαλύψεως (a revelation) IC XC.
13 Ἠκούσατε (You have heard of) γὰρ (for) τὴν (-) ἐμὴν (my) ἀναστροφήν (way of life) ποτε (former)
ἐν (in) τῷ (-) Ἰουδαϊσμῷ (Judaism), ὅτι (that) καθ’ (beyond) ὑπερβολὴν (exceeding measure), ἐδίωκον
(I was persecuting) τὴν (the) ἐκκλησίαν (assembly) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God) καὶ (and) ἐπόρθουν (was
destroying) αὐτήν (it).
14 καὶ (And) προέκοπτον (I was advancing) ἐν (in) τῷ (-) Ἰουδαϊσμῷ (Judaism) ὑπὲρ (beyond) πολλοὺς
(many) συνηλικιώτας (contemporaries) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) γένει (countrymen) μου (of me), περισσοτέρως
(more abundantly) ζηλωτὴς (zealous) ὑπάρχων (being) τῶν (of the) πατρικῶν (fathers) μου (of me)
παραδόσεων (traditions).
15 Ὅτε (When) δὲ (however) εὐδόκησεν (was pleased) [ὁ (-) ΘC] (God) ὁ (the One) ἀφορίσας (having
selected) με (me) ἐκ (from) κοιλίας (the womb) μητρός (of mother) μου (of me), καὶ (and) καλέσας
(having called me) διὰ (by) τῆς (the) χάριτος (Gift) αὐτοῦ (of Him),
16 ἀποκαλύψαι (to reveal) τὸν (the) Υἱὸν (Son) αὐτοῦ (of Him) ἐν (in) ἐμοὶ (me), ἵνα (that)
εὐαγγελίζωμαι (I might preach) αὐτὸν (Him) ἐν (among) τοῖς (the) ἔθνεσιν (Gentiles), εὐθέως
(immediately) οὐ (not) προσανεθέμην (I consulted) σαρκὶ (with flesh) καὶ (and) αἵματι (blood),
17 οὐδὲ (nor) ἀνῆλθον (did I go up) εἰς (to) Ἱεροσόλυμα (Jerusalem) πρὸς (to) τοὺς (the) πρὸ (before)
ἐμοῦ (me) ἀποστόλους (messengers), ἀλλὰ (but) ἀπῆλθον (I went away) εἰς (into) Ἀραβίαν (Arabia),
καὶ (and) πάλιν (again) ὑπέστρεψα (returned) εἰς (to) Δαμασκόν (Damascus).
18 Ἔπειτα (Then) μετὰ (after) τρία (three) ⇔ ἔτη (years), ἀνῆλθον (I went up) εἰς (to) Ἱεροσόλυμα
(Jerusalem) ἱστορῆσαι (to make acquaintance with) Κηφᾶν (Kephan), καὶ (and) ἐπέμεινα (I remained)
πρὸς (with) αὐτὸν (him) ἡμέρας (days) δεκαπέντε (fifteen).
19 ἕτερον (Other) δὲ (however) τῶν (of the) ἀποστόλων (messengers) οὐκ (none) εἶδον (I saw), εἰ (if)
μὴ (not) Ἰάκωβον (Iakobon), τὸν (the) ἀδελφὸν (brother) τοῦ (of the) KC (Lord).
20 ἃ (In what) δὲ (now) γράφω (I write) ὑμῖν (to you), ἰδοὺ (behold), ἐνώπιον (before) τοῦ (-) ΘC
(God) ὅτι (-), οὐ (not) ψεύδομαι (I lie).
21 Ἔπειτα (Then) ἦλθον (I went) εἰς (into) τὰ (the) κλίματα (regions) τῆς (-) Συρίας (of Syria) καὶ
(and) τῆς (-) Κιλικίας (Cilicia).
22 ἤμην (I was) δὲ (then) ἀγνοούμενος (unknown) τῷ (-) προσώπῳ (by face) ταῖς (to the) ἐκκλησίαις
(assemblies) τῆς (-) Ἰουδαίας (of Judea) ταῖς (that are) ἐν (in) XC.
23 μόνον (Only) δὲ (however) ἀκούοντες (hearing) ἦσαν (they were) ὅτι (that) “Ὁ (the one) διώκων
(persecuting) ἡμᾶς (us) ποτε (formerly), νῦν (now) εὐαγγελίζεται (is preaching) τὴν (the) πίστιν (faith)
ἥν (which) ποτε (once) ἐπόρθει (he was destroying).”
24 καὶ (And) ἐδόξαζον (they were glorifying) ἐν (in) ἐμοὶ (me) τὸν (-) ΘC (God).
2:1 Ἔπειτα (Then) διὰ (after) δεκατεσσάρων (fourteen) ἐτῶν (years) πάλιν (again) ἀνέβην (I went up)
εἰς (to) Ἱεροσόλυμα (Jerusalem) μετὰ (with) Βαρνάβα (Barnaba), συμπαραλαβὼν (having taken with
me) καὶ (also) Τίτον (Titon).
2 ἀνέβην (I went up) δὲ (now) κατὰ (according to) ἀποκάλυψιν (a revelation) καὶ (and) ἀνεθέμην (set
before) αὐτοῖς (them) τὸ (the) εὐαγγέλιον (Announcement) ὃ (that) κηρύσσω (I proclaim) ἐν (among)
τοῖς (the) ἔθνεσιν (Gentiles)— κατ’ (apart) ἰδίαν (individually) δὲ (however) τοῖς (to those) δοκοῦσιν
(esteemed)— μή (lest) πως (hardly) εἰς (in) κενὸν (vain) τρέχω (I should be running) ἢ (or) ἔδραμον
(have run).
3 ἀλλ’ (But) οὐδὲ (not even) Τίτος (Titos) ὁ (who was) σὺν (with) ἐμοί (me), Ἕλλην (a Greek) ὤν
(being), ἠναγκάσθη (was compelled) περιτμηθῆναι (to be circumcised),
4 διὰ (because of) δὲ (even) τοὺς (the) παρεισάκτους (brought in secretly) ψευδαδέλφους (false
brothers), οἵτινες (who) παρεισῆλθον (came in by stealth) κατασκοπῆσαι (to spy out) τὴν (the)
ἐλευθερίαν (freedom) ἡμῶν (of us) ἣν (which) ἔχομεν (we have) ἐν (in) XC IC, ἵνα (that) ἡμᾶς (us)
καταδουλώσουσιν (they will enslave),
5 οἷς (to whom) οὐδὲ (not even) πρὸς (for) ὥραν (an hour) εἴξαμεν (did we yield) τῇ (-) ὑποταγῇ (in
subjection), ἵνα (so that) ἡ (the) ἀλήθεια (truth) τοῦ (of the) εὐαγγελίου (Announcement) διαμείνῃ
(might continue) πρὸς (with) ὑμᾶς (you).
6 Ἀπὸ (Of) δὲ (now) τῶν (those) δοκούντων (esteemed) εἶναί (to be) τι (something)— ὁποῖοί
(whatsoever) ποτε (formerly) ἦσαν (they were), οὐδέν (not) μοι (to me) διαφέρει (makes a difference);
πρόσωπον (the person) ὁ (-) ΘC (God) ἀνθρώπου (of a man) οὐ (not) λαμβάνει (does accept)— ἐμοὶ
(to me) γὰρ (for) οἱ (the) δοκοῦντες (esteemed) οὐδὲν (nothing) προσανέθεντο (added).
7 ἀλλὰ (But)
τοὐναντίον (on the contrary), ἰδόντες (having seen) ὅτι (that) πεπίστευμαι (I have been entrusted with)
τὸ (the) εὐαγγέλιον (Announcement) τῆς (of the) ἀκροβυστίας (uncircumcision), a καθὼς (just as)
Πέτρος (Petros with that) τῆς (of the) περιτομῆς (circumcision)b —
8 ὁ (the One) γὰρ (for) ἐνεργήσας (having worked) Πέτρῳ (in Petro) εἰς (for) ἀποστολὴν (apostleship)
τῆς (of the) περιτομῆς (circumcision) ἐνήργησεν (did) καὶ (also) ἐμοὶ (in me) εἰς (toward) τὰ (the) ἔθνη
(Gentiles) —
9 καὶ (and) γνόντες (having known) τὴν (the) χάριν (Gift) τὴν (-) δοθεῖσάν (having been given) μοι (to
me), Ἰάκωβος (Iakobos) καὶ (and) Κηφᾶς (Kephas) καὶ (and) Ἰωάννης (Ioannes), οἱ (those) δοκοῦντες
(esteemed) στῦλοι (pillars) εἶναι (to be), δεξιὰς (the right hands) ἔδωκαν (gave) ἐμοὶ (to me) καὶ (and)
Βαρνάβα (Barnaba), κοινωνίας (of fellowship), ἵνα (that) ἡμεῖς (we should go) εἰς (to) τὰ (the) ἔθνη
(Gentiles); αὐτοὶ (they) δὲ (however) εἰς (to) τὴν (the) περιτομήν (circumcision).
10 μόνον (Only they asked) τῶν (the) πτωχῶν (poor) ἵνα (that) μνημονεύωμεν (we should remember),
ὃ (that) καὶ (also) ἐσπούδασα (I was eager) αὐτὸ (the same) τοῦτο (thing) ποιῆσαι (to do).
11 Ὅτε (When) δὲ (however) ἦλθεν (came) Κηφᾶς (Kephas) εἰς (to) Ἀντιόχειαν (Antioch), κατὰ (to)
πρόσωπον (face) αὐτῷ (his) ἀντέστην (I opposed him), ὅτι (because) κατεγνωσμένος (condemned) ἦν
(he stood).
12 πρὸ (Before) τοῦ (-) γὰρ (for), ἐλθεῖν (came) τινας (certain ones) ἀπὸ (from) Ἰακώβου (Iakobou),
μετὰ (with) τῶν (the) ἐθνῶν (Gentiles) συνήσθιεν (he was eating); ὅτε (when) δὲ (however) ἦλθον
(they came), ὑπέστελλεν (he was drawing back) καὶ (and) ἀφώριζεν (was separating) ἑαυτόν (himself),
φοβούμενος (being afraid of) τοὺς (those) ἐκ (of) περιτομῆς (the circumcision).
13 καὶ (And) συνυπεκρίθησαν (acted hypocritically) αὐτῷ (with him) καὶ (also) οἱ (the) λοιποὶ (rest)
Ἰουδαῖοι (of the Jews), ὥστε (so that) καὶ (even) Βαρνάβας (Barnabas) συναπήχθη (was carried away)
αὐτῶν (of them) τῇ (by the) ὑποκρίσει (hypocrisy).
14 Ἀλλ’ (But) ὅτε (when) εἶδον (I saw) ὅτι (that) οὐκ (not) ὀρθοποδοῦσιν (they are walking uprightly)
πρὸς (according to) τὴν (the) ἀλήθειαν (truth) τοῦ (of the) εὐαγγελίου (Announcement), εἶπον (I said)
τῷ (-) Κηφᾷ (to Kepha) ἔμπροσθεν (before) πάντων (all), “Εἰ (If) σὺ (you), Ἰουδαῖος (a Jew) ὑπάρχων
(being), ἐθνικῶς (like a Gentile) καὶ (and) οὐκ (not) Ἰουδαϊκῶς (like a Jew) ζῇς (live), πῶς (why) τὰ
(the) ἔθνη (Gentiles) ἀναγκάζεις (do you compel) ἰουδαΐζειν (to Judaize)?
15 Ἡμεῖς (We), φύσει (by birth) Ἰουδαῖοι (Jews), καὶ (and) οὐκ (not) ἐξ (of) ἐθνῶν (the Gentiles)
‘Ἁμαρτωλοί (sinners),’
16 εἰδότες (knowing) δὲ (nevertheless) ὅτι (that) οὐ (not) δικαιοῦται (is justified) ἄνθρωπος (a man) ἐξ
(by) ἔργων (works) νόμου (of law), ἐὰν (if) μὴ (not) διὰ (through) πίστεως (faith) XC ⇔ IC; καὶ (even)
ἡμεῖς (we) εἰς (in) XC IC ἐπιστεύσαμεν (have believed), ἵνα (that) δικαιωθῶμεν (we may be justified)
ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith) ΧC, καὶ (and) οὐκ (not) ἐξ (by) ἔργων (works) νόμου (of the Law); ὅτι
(because) ἐξ (by) ἔργων (works) νόμου (of the Law) οὐ (not) δικαιωθήσεται (will be justified) πᾶσα
(any) σάρξ (flesh).
17 Εἰ (If) δὲ (however) ζητοῦντες (seeking) δικαιωθῆναι (to be justified) ἐν (in) XC, εὑρέθημεν (have
been found) καὶ (also) αὐτοὶ (we ourselves) ἁμαρτωλοί (sinners), ἆρα (is then) XC ἁμαρτίας (of sin)
διάκονος (a minister)? μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)!
18 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) ἃ (that) κατέλυσα (I had torn down), ταῦτα (these things) πάλιν (again) οἰκοδομῶ (I
build), παραβάτην (a transgressor) ἐμαυτὸν (myself) συνιστάνω (I prove).
19 ἐγὼ (I) γὰρ (for), διὰ (through) νόμου (the Law) νόμῳ (to the Law) ἀπέθανον (died), ἵνα (that)
ΘC (to God) ζήσω (I might live).
20 XC συνεσταύρωμαι (I have been crucified with); ζῶ (I live) δὲ (then), οὐκέτι (no longer) ἐγώ (I); ζῇ
(lives) δὲ (however) ἐν (in) ἐμοὶ (me) ΧC; ὃ (that which) δὲ (now) νῦν (now) ζῶ (I live) ἐν (in) σαρκί
(the flesh), ἐν (through) πίστει (faith) ζῶ (I live), τῇ (that) τοῦ (from the) Υἱοῦ (Son) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of
God), τοῦ (the One) ἀγαπήσαντός (having loved) με (me) καὶ (and) παραδόντος (having given up)
ἑαυτὸν (Himself) ὑπὲρ (for) ἐμοῦ (me).
21 Οὐκ (Not) ἀθετῶ (I do set aside) τὴν (the) χάριν (Gift) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God); εἰ (if) γὰρ (for) διὰ
(through) νόμου (the Law) δικαιοσύνη (righteousness is), ἄρα (then) XC δωρεὰν (for naught) ἀπέθανεν
(died).”
3:1 Ὦ (O) ἀνόητοι (foolish) Γαλάται (Galatians)! τίς (Who) ὑμᾶς (you)
ἐβάσκανεν (has bewitched), οἷς (whose) κατ’ (before) ὀφθαλμοὺς (eyes) IC
XC προεγράφη (was publicly portrayed)
ἐσταυρωμένος (as having been crucified)?
2 τοῦτο (This) μόνον (only) θέλω (I wish) μαθεῖν (to learn) ἀφ’ (from) ὑμῶν (you), ἐξ (by) ἔργων
(works) νόμου (of the Law) τὸ (the) Πνεῦμα (Spirit) ἐλάβετε (did you receive), ἢ (or) ἐξ (by) ἀκοῆς
(hearing) πίστεως (of faith)?
3 Οὕτως (So) ἀνόητοί (foolish) ἐστε (are you)? ἐναρξάμενοι (Having begun) Πνεύματι (in the Spirit),
νῦν (now) σαρκὶ (in the flesh) ἐπιτελεῖσθε (are you being perfected)?
4 τοσαῦτα (So many things) ἐπάθετε (did you suffer) εἰκῇ (in vain), εἴ (if) γε (indeed) καὶ (also) εἰκῇ
(in vain)?
5 ὁ (The One) οὖν (therefore) ἐπιχορηγῶν (supplying) ὑμῖν (to you) τὸ (the) Πνεῦμα (Spirit) καὶ (and)
ἐνεργῶν (working) δυνάμεις (miracles) ἐν (among) ὑμῖν (you), ἐξ (is it out of) ἔργων (works) νόμου (of
the Law) ἢ (or) ἐξ (out of) ἀκοῆς (hearing) πίστεως (of faith)?
6 Καθὼς (So also), “Ἀβραὰμ (Abraau) ἐπίστευσεν (believed) τῷ (-) ΘC (God), καὶ (and) ἐλογίσθη (it
was reckoned) αὐτῷ (to him) εἰς (as) δικαιοσύνην (righteousness).”
7 Γινώσκετε (Know) ἄρα (then) ὅτι (that) οἱ (those) ἐκ (of) πίστεως (faith), οὗτοι (these) υἱοί (sons)
εἰσιν (are) Ἀβραάμ (of Abraau).
8 προϊδοῦσα (Having foreseen) δὲ (then) ἡ (the) γραφὴ (Scripture) ὅτι (that) ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith)
δικαιοῖ (justifies) τὰ (the) ἔθνη (Gentiles) ὁ (-) ΘC (God), προευηγγελίσατο (foretold the
Announcement) τῷ (-) Ἀβραὰμ (to Abraau) ὅτι (-): “Ἐνευλογηθήσονται (Will be blessed) ἐν (in) σοὶ
(you) πάντα (all) τὰ (the) ἔθνη (nations).”
9 ὥστε (So then), οἱ (those) ἐκ (of) πίστεως (faith) εὐλογοῦνται (are blessed) σὺν (along with) τῷ (the)
πιστῷ (believing) Ἀβραάμ (Abraau).
10 Ὅσοι (As many as) γὰρ (for) ἐξ (of) ἔργων (works) νόμου (of the Law) εἰσὶν (are), ὑπὸ (under)
κατάραν (a curse) εἰσίν (are); γέγραπται (it has been written) γὰρ (for) ὅτι (-): “Ἐπικατάρατος (Cursed
is) πᾶς (everyone) ὃς (who) οὐκ (not) ἐμμένει (does continue) πᾶσιν (all things) τοῖς (-) γεγραμμένοις
(having been written) ἐν (in) τῷ (the) βιβλίῳ (book) τοῦ (of the) νόμου (Law), τοῦ (-) ποιῆσαι (to do)
αὐτά (them).”
11 ὅτι (That) δὲ (now) ἐν (by) νόμῳ (the law) οὐδεὶς (no one) δικαιοῦται (is justified) παρὰ (before) τῷ
(-) ΘC (God) δῆλον (is evident), ὅτι (because) “Ὁ (The) δίκαιος (righteous) ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith)
ζήσεται (will live).”
12 ὁ (-) δὲ (And) νόμος (the Law) οὐκ (not) ἔστιν (is) ἐκ (of) πίστεως (faith); ἀλλ’ (rather), “Ὁ (The
one) ποιήσας (having done) αὐτὰ (these things) ζήσεται (will live) ἐν (by) αὐτοῖς (them).”
13 ΧC ἡμᾶς (us) ἐξηγόρασεν (redeemed) ἐκ (from) τῆς (the) κατάρας (curse) τοῦ (of the) νόμου (Law),
γενόμενος (having become) ὑπὲρ (for) ἡμῶν (us) κατάρα (a curse), ὅτι (for) γέγραπται (it has been
written): “Ἐπικατάρατος (Cursed is) πᾶς (everyone) ὁ (-) κρεμάμενος (hanging) ἐπὶ (on)
ξύλου (a tree)” —
14 ἵνα (so that) εἰς (to) τὰ (the) ἔθνη (Gentiles) ἡ (the) εὐλογία (blessing) τοῦ (-) Ἀβραὰμ (of Abraau)
γένηται (might come), ἐν (in) IC ⇔ XC, ἵνα (so that) τὴν (the) ἐπαγγελίαν (promise) τοῦ (of the)
Πνεύματος (Spirit) λάβωμεν (we might receive), διὰ (through) τῆς (-) πίστεως (faith).
15 Ἀδελφοί (Brothers), κατὰ (according to) ἄνθρωπον (man) λέγω (I am speaking). ὅμως (Even)
ἀνθρώπου (of man) κεκυρωμένην (having been ratified) διαθήκην (a covenant), οὐδεὶς (no one) ἀθετεῖ
(sets aside) ἢ (or) ἐπιδιατάσσεται (adds thereto).
16τῷ (-) δὲ (And) Ἀβραὰμ (to Abraau) ἐρρέθησαν (were spoken) αἱ (the) ἐπαγγελίαι (promises), καὶ
(and) τῷ (to the) σπέρματι (seed) αὐτοῦ (of him). οὐ (Not) λέγει (it does say), “Καὶ (and) τοῖς (-)
σπέρμασιν (to seeds),” ὡς (as) ἐπὶ (of) πολλῶν (many); ἀλλ’ (but) ὡς (as) ἐφ’ (of) ἑνός (One), “Καὶ
(and) τῷ (to the) σπέρματί (seed) σου (of you),”g ὅς (who) ἐστιν (is) XC.
17 Τοῦτο (This) δὲ (now) λέγω (I say): διαθήκην (The covenant), προκεκυρωμένην (having been
confirmed beforehand) ὑπὸ (by) τοῦ (-) ΘC (God), ὁ (-) μετὰ (afterward) τετρακόσια (four hundred)
καὶ (and) τριάκοντα (thirty) ἔτη (years) γεγονὼς (having come), νόμος (the law) οὐκ (not) ἀκυροῖ (does
annul), εἰς (so as) τὸ (-) καταργῆσαι (to nullify) τὴν (the) ἐπαγγελίαν (promise).
18 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) ἐκ (by) νόμου (the Law is) ἡ (the) κληρονομία (inheritance), οὐκέτι (it is no longer)
ἐξ (by) ἐπαγγελίας (a promise); τῷ (-) δὲ (but) Ἀβραὰμ (to Abraau) δι’ (through) ἐπαγγελίας (a
promise) κεχάρισται (has granted it) ὁ (-) ΘC (God).
19 Τί (Why) οὖν (then) ὁ (the) νόμος (Law)? τῶν (-) παραβάσεων (Transgressions) χάριν (on account
of), προσετέθη (it was added), ἄχρις (until) οὗ* (that) ἔλθῃ (should have come) τὸ (the) σπέρμα (seed)
ᾧ (to whom) ἐπήγγελται (promise has been made), διαταγεὶς (having been ordained) δι’ (through)
ἀγγέλων (messangers) ἐν (in) χειρὶ (the hand) μεσίτου (of a mediator).
20 ὁ (-) δὲ (However), μεσίτης (a mediator) ἑνὸς (of one person) οὐκ (not) ἔστιν (is); ὁ (-) δὲ (but) ΘC
(God) εἷς (one) ἐστιν (is).
21 Ὁ (The) οὖν (therefore) νόμος (Law) κατὰ (is contrary to) τῶν (the) ἐπαγγελιῶν (promises) τοῦ (-)
ΘC (of God)? μὴ (Never) γένοιτο (may it be)! εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) ἐδόθη (had been given) νόμος (a law) ὁ
(-) δυνάμενος (being able) ζωοποιῆσαι (to impart life), ὄντως (indeed) ἐκ (from out of) νόμου (the
Law) ἂν (-) ἦν (would have emerged) ἡ (-) δικαιοσύνη (righteousness);
22ἀλλὰ (but) συνέκλεισεν (imprisoned) ἡ (the) γραφὴ (Scripture) τὰ (things) πάντα (all) ὑπὸ (under)
ἁμαρτίαν (sin), ἵνα (so that) ἡ (the) ἐπαγγελία (promise), ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith) IC XC, δοθῇ (might be
given) τοῖς (to those) πιστεύουσιν (believing).
23 Πρὸ (Before) τοῦ (-) δὲ (now) ἐλθεῖν (came) τὴν (-) πίστιν (faith), ὑπὸ (under) νόμον (the Law)
ἐφρουρούμεθα (we were held in custody), συνκλειόμενοι (having been locked up) εἰς (until) τὴν (the)
μέλλουσαν (being about) πίστιν (faith) ἀποκαλυφθῆναι (to be revealed),
24 ὥστε (so that) ὁ (the) νόμος (Law) παιδαγωγὸς (trainer) ἡμῶν (of us) γέγονεν (has become), εἰς
(unto) XC, ἵνα (so that) ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith) δικαιωθῶμεν (we might be justified).
25 ἐλθούσης (Having come) δὲ (now) τῆς (-) πίστεως (faith), οὐκέτι (no longer) ὑπὸ (under)
παιδαγωγόν (a trainer) ἐσμεν (we are).
26 Πάντες (All) γὰρ (for) υἱοὶ (sons) ΘC (of God) ἐστε (you are) διὰ (through) τῆς (-) πίστεως (faith)
ἐν (in) XC IC.
27 ὅσοι (As many as) γὰρ (for) εἰς (into) XC ἐβαπτίσθητε (you were baptized), XC ἐνεδύσασθε (you
have put on).
28 οὐκ (Neither) ἔνι (there is) Ἰουδαῖος (Jew) οὐδὲ (nor) Ἕλλην (Greek); οὐκ (neither) ἔνι (there is)
δοῦλος (slave) οὐδὲ (nor) ἐλεύθερος (free); οὐκ (neither) ἔνι (there is) ἄρσεν (male) καὶ (and) θῆλυ
(female); πάντες (all) γὰρ (for) ὑμεῖς (you) εἷς (one) ἐστε (are) ἐν (in) XC IC.
29 εἰ (If) δὲ (now)
ὑμεῖς (you are) XC, ἄρα (then) τοῦ (-) Ἀβραὰμ (Abraau’s) σπέρμα (seed) ἐστέ (you are), κατ’
(according to) ἐπαγγελίαν (the promise) κληρονόμοι (heirs).
4:1 Λέγω (I say) δέ (now), ἐφ’ (for) ὅσον (as long as) χρόνον (time) ὁ (the) κληρονόμος (heir) νήπιός (a
child) ἐστιν (is), οὐδὲν (not) διαφέρει (he differs) δούλου (from a slave), κύριος (though owner)
πάντων (of everything) ὤν (being).
2 ἀλλὰ (Instead), ὑπὸ (under) ἐπιτρόπους (guardians) ἐστὶν (he is), καὶ (and) οἰκονόμους (trustees),
ἄχρι (until) τῆς (the) προθεσμίας (time appointed) τοῦ (by his) πατρός (father).
3 οὕτως (So) καὶ (also) ἡμεῖς (we), ὅτε (when) ἦμεν (we were) νήπιοι (children), ὑπὸ (under) τὰ (the)
στοιχεῖα (basic principles)a τοῦ (of the) κόσμου (cosmos) ἤμεθα (were) δεδουλωμένοι (held in
bondage).
4 Ὅτε (When) δὲ (however) ἦλθεν (had come) τὸ (the) πλήρωμα (fullness) τοῦ (of the) χρόνου (time),
ἐξαπέστειλεν (sent forth) ὁ (-) ΘC (God) τὸν (the) Υἱὸν (Son) αὐτοῦ (of him), γενόμενον (having been
born) ἐκ (of) γυναικός (a woman), γενόμενον (having been born) ὑπὸ (under) νόμον (the Law),
5 ἵνα (that) τοὺς (those) ὑπὸ (under) νόμον (the Law) ἐξαγοράσῃ (He might redeem), ἵνα (so that) τὴν
(the) υἱοθεσίαν (divine adoption as sons) ἀπολάβωμεν (we might receive).
6 Ὅτι (Because) δέ (now) ἐστε (you are) υἱοί (sons), ἐξαπέστειλεν (sent forth) ὁ (-) ΘC (God) τὸ (the)
Πνεῦμα (Spirit) τοῦ (of the) Υἱοῦ (Son) αὐτοῦ (of Him) εἰς (into) τὰς (the) καρδίας (hearts) ἡμῶν (of
us), κρᾶζον (crying out), “Ἀββᾶ (Abba), ὁ (-) Πατήρ (Father)!” 7ὥστε (So) οὐκέτι (no longer) εἶ (you
are) δοῦλος (a slave), ἀλλὰ (but) υἱός (a son); εἰ (if) δὲ (now) υἱός (a son), καὶ (also) κληρονόμος (an
heir) διὰ (through) ΘC (God).
8 Ἀλλὰ (But) τότε (at that time) μὲν (indeed) οὐκ (not) εἰδότες (knowing) ΘC (God), ἐδουλεύσατε (you
were enslaved) τοῖς (to those) φύσει (by nature) μὴ (not) οὖσιν (being) θεοῖς (gods);
9 νῦν (now) δὲ (however), γνόντες (having known) ΘC (God), μᾶλλον (rather) δὲ (however)
γνωσθέντες (having been known) ὑπὸ (by) ΘC (God), πῶς (how) ἐπιστρέφετε (do you turn) πάλιν
(again) ἐπὶ (to) τὰ (the) ἀσθενῆ (weak) καὶ (and) πτωχὰ (destitute) στοιχεῖα (principles), οἷς (to which)
πάλιν (again) ἄνωθεν (anew) δουλεύειν* (to be enslaved) θέλετε (you desire)?
10 ἡμέρας (Days) παρατηρεῖσθε (you observe), καὶ (and) μῆνας (months) καὶ (and) καιροὺς (seasons)
καὶ (and) ἐνιαυτούς (years).
11 φοβοῦμαι (I fear) ὑμᾶς (for you), μή (lest) πως (perhaps) εἰκῇ (in vain) κεκοπίακα (I have toiled) εἰς
(for) ὑμᾶς (you).
12 Γίνεσθε (Become) ὡς (as) ἐγώ (I am), ὅτι (because) κἀγὼ (I also have become) ὡς (as) ὑμεῖς (you),
ἀδελφοί (brothers), δέομαι (I implore) ὑμῶν (you). οὐδέν (In nothing) με (me) ἠδικήσατε (have You
wronged).
13 Οἴδατε (You know) δὲ (now) ὅτι (that) δι’ (in) ἀσθένειαν (weakness) τῆς (of the) σαρκὸς (flesh)
εὐηγγελισάμην (I proclaimed the Announcement) ὑμῖν (to you) τὸ (at the) πρότερον (first);
14 καὶ (and) τὸν (the) πειρασμὸν (test) ὑμῶν (of you) ἐν (in) τῇ (the) σαρκί (flesh) μου (of me), οὐκ
(not) ἐξουθενήσατε (you did despise me), οὐδὲ (nor) ἐξεπτύσατε (reject me with contempt); ἀλλὰ (but)
ὡς (as) ἄγγελον (a messenger) ΘC (of God), ἐδέξασθέ (you received) με (me) ὡς (even as) XC IC.
15 ποῦ (What) οὖν (then) ὁ (the) μακαρισμὸς (blessedness) ὑμῶν (of you)? μαρτυρῶ (I bear witness)
γὰρ (for) ὑμῖν (to you) ὅτι (that), εἰ (if) δυνατὸν (possible), τοὺς (the) ὀφθαλμοὺς (eyes) ὑμῶν (of you)
ἐξορύξαντες (having gouged out), ἐδώκατέ (you would have given them) μοι (to me).
16 ὥστε (So) ἐχθρὸς (enemy) ὑμῶν (of you) γέγονα (have I become), ἀληθεύων (speaking truth) ὑμῖν
(to you)?
17 Ζηλοῦσιν (They are zealous after) ὑμᾶς (you) οὐ (not) καλῶς (rightly), ἀλλὰ (but) ἐκκλεῖσαι (to
exclude) ὑμᾶς (you from us). θέλουσιν (They desire) ἵνα (so that) αὐτοὺς (them) ζηλοῦτε (you might be
zealous after).
18 καλὸν (Good it is) δὲ (now) ζηλοῦσθαι (to be zealous) ἐν (in) καλῷ (a right thing) πάντοτε (at all
times), καὶ (and) μὴ (not) μόνον (only) ἐν (in) τῷ (-) παρεῖναί (being present) με (my) πρὸς (with)
ὑμᾶς (you).
19 Τέκνα (Children) μου (of me), οὓς (of whom) πάλιν (again) ὠδίνω (I travail) μέχρις (until) οὗ (that)
μορφωθῇ (shall have been formed) XC ἐν (in) ὑμῖν (you),
20 ἤθελον (I was wishing) δὲ (indeed) παρεῖναι (to be present) πρὸς (with) ὑμᾶς (you) ἄρτι (presently)
καὶ (and) ἀλλάξαι (to change) τὴν (the) φωνήν (tone) μου (of me), ὅτι (because) ἀποροῦμαι (I am
perplexed) ἐν (as to) ὑμῖν (you).
21 Λέγετέ (Tell) μοι (me), οἱ (those) ὑπὸ (under) νόμον (the Law) θέλοντες (wishing) εἶναι (to be), τὸν
(the) νόμον (Law) οὐκ (not) ἀκούετε (you do listen to)?
22 γέγραπται (It has been written) γὰρ (for) ὅτι (that) Ἀβραὰμ (Abraau) δύο (two) υἱοὺς (sons) ἔσχεν
(had), ἕνα (one) ἐκ (of) τῆς (the) παιδίσκης (slave woman) καὶ (and) ἕνα (one) ἐκ (of) τῆς (the)
ἐλευθέρας (free).
23 ἀλλ’ (But) ὁ (the one) μὲν (indeed) ἐκ (of) τῆς (the) παιδίσκης (slave woman), κατὰ (according to)
σάρκα (flesh) γεγέννηται (has been born); ὁ (the one) δὲ (but) ἐκ (of) τῆς (the) ἐλευθέρας (free),
δι’* (through) 〈τῆς〉 (the) ἐπαγγελίας (promise),
24 ἅτινά (which things) ἐστιν (are) ἀλληγορούμενα (allegorized); αὗται (these) γάρ (for) εἰσιν (are) δύο
(two) διαθῆκαι (covenants): μία (one) μὲν (indeed) ἀπὸ (from) ὄρους (Mount) Σινᾶ (Sinai),
εἰς (unto) δουλείαν (slavery) γεννῶσα (begetting), ἥτις (which) ἐστὶν (is) Ἁγάρ (Agar).
25 τὸ (-) δὲ (And) Ἁγὰρ (Agar) Σινᾶ (Sinai) ὄρος (Mount) ἐστὶν (is), ἐν (in) τῇ (-) Ἀραβίᾳ (Arabia);
συστοιχεῖ (she corresponds) δὲ (now) τῇ (to the) νῦν (present) Ἰερουσαλήμ (Jerusalem), δουλεύει (she
is in slavery) γὰρ (for) μετὰ (with) τῶν (the) τέκνων (children) αὐτῆς (of her).
26 ἡ (-) δὲ (But) ἄνω (the above) Ἰερουσαλὴμ (Jerusalem) ἐλευθέρα (free) ἐστίν (is), ἥτις (who) ἐστὶν
(is) μήτηρ (mother) ἡμῶν (of us).
27 γέγραπται (It has been written) γάρ (for): “Εὐφράνθητι (Rejoice), στεῖρα (O barren woman),
ἡ (the one) οὐ (not) τίκτουσα (bearing); ῥῆξον (break forth) καὶ (and) βόησον (call aloud), ἡ (the one)
οὐκ (not) ὠδίνουσα (travailing); ὅτι (because) πολλὰ (many) τὰ (are the) τέκνα (children) τῆς (of the)
ἐρήμου (desolate woman) μᾶλλον (more), ἢ (than) τῆς (of her) ἐχούσης (having) τὸν (the) ἄνδρα
(husband).”
28 Ὑμεῖς (You)c δέ (now), ἀδελφοί (brothers), κατὰ (like) Ἰσαὰκ (Isaak), ἐπαγγελίας (of promise)
τέκνα (children) ἐστέ (are).
29 ἀλλ’ (But) ὥσπερ (just as) τότε (at that time) ὁ (the one) κατὰ (according to) σάρκα (flesh) γεννηθεὶς
(having been born) ἐδίωκεν (was persecuting) τὸν (the one born) κατὰ (according to) Πνεῦμα (Spirit),
οὕτως (so) καὶ (also) νῦν (it is now).
30 Ἀλλὰ (But) τί (what) λέγει (says) ἡ (the) γραφή (Scripture)? “Ἔκβαλε (Cast out) τὴν (the)
παιδίσκην (slave woman) καὶ (and) τὸν (the) υἱὸν (son) αὐτῆς (of her); οὐ (no) γὰρ (for) μὴ (not)
κληρονομήσει (will inherit) ὁ (the) υἱὸς (son) τῆς (of the) παιδίσκης (slave woman) μετὰ (along with)
τοῦ (the) υἱοῦ (son) τῆς (of the) ἐλευθέρας (free).”
31 διό (So then), ἀδελφοί (brothers), οὐκ (not) ἐσμὲν (we are) παιδίσκης (of the slave woman) τέκνα
(children), ἀλλὰ (but) τῆς (of the)
ἐλευθέρας (free).
5:1 Τῇ (In) ἐλευθερίᾳ (freedom), ἡμᾶς (us) XC ἠλευθέρωσεν (has set free); στήκετε (stand firm), οὖν
(therefore), καὶ (and) μὴ (not) πάλιν (again) ζυγῷ (in a yoke) δουλείας (of slavery) ἐνέχεσθε (entangle
yourselves).
2 Ἴδε (Behold), ἐγὼ (I) Παῦλος (Paulos) λέγω (say) ὑμῖν (to you) ὅτι (that) ἐὰν (if) περιτέμνησθε (you
shall become circumcised), XC ὑμᾶς (you) οὐδὲν (nothing) ὠφελήσει (will profit).
3 μαρτύρομαι (I testify) δὲ (now) πάλιν (again) παντὶ (to every) ἀνθρώπῳ (man) περιτεμνομένῳ (being
circumcised) ὅτι (that) ὀφειλέτης (a debtor) ἐστὶν (he is) ὅλον (all) τὸν (the) νόμον (Law) ποιῆσαι (to
keep).
4 κατηργήθητε (You are severed) ἀπὸ (from) XC, οἵτινες (whoever) ἐν (in) νόμῳ (the Law) δικαιοῦσθε
(are being justified); τῆς (from) χάριτος (Gift) ἐξεπέσατε (you have fallen away).
5 Ἡμεῖς (We) γὰρ (for), Πνεύματι (through the Spirit) ἐκ (by) πίστεως (faith), ἐλπίδα (the hope)
δικαιοσύνης (of righteousness) ἀπεκδεχόμεθα (eagerly await).
6 ἐν (In) γὰρ (for) XC IC, οὔτε (neither) περιτομή (circumcision) τι (any) ἰσχύει (has power), οὔτε
(nor) ἀκροβυστία (uncircumcision); ἀλλὰ (but only) πίστις (faith) δι’ (through) ἀγάπης (love)
ἐνεργουμένη (working).
7 Ἐτρέχετε (You were running) καλῶς (well). τίς (Who) ὑμᾶς (you) ἐνέκοψεν (cut into), ‹τῇ› (the)
ἀληθείᾳ (truth) μὴ (not) πείθεσθαι (to obey)?
8 ἡ (This) πεισμονὴ (persuasion is) οὐκ (not) ἐκ (of) τοῦ (the One) καλοῦντος (calling) ὑμᾶς (you).
9 μικρὰ (A little) ζύμη (leaven) ὅλον (whole) τὸ (the) φύραμα (lump) ζυμοῖ (leavens).
10 ἐγὼ (I) πέποιθα (am confident) εἰς (as to) ὑμᾶς (you) ἐν (in) ΚC (the Lord), ὅτι (that) οὐδὲν (no)
ἄλλο (other) φρονήσετε (mind will you have). ὁ (The one) δὲ (however) ταράσσων (troubling) ὑμᾶς
(you) βαστάσει (will bear) τὸ (the) κρίμα (judgment), ὅστις (whoever) ἐὰν (if) ᾖ (he might be).
11 Ἐγὼ (I) δέ (now), ἀδελφοί (brothers), εἰ (if) περιτομὴν (circumcision) ἔτι (still) κηρύσσω
(proclaim), τί (why) ἔτι (still) διώκομαι (am I persecuted)? ἄρα (In that case) κατήργηται (has been
abolished) τὸ (the) σκάνδαλον (offense) τοῦ (of the) σταυροῦ (stake).
12 Ὄφελον (I wish) καὶ (also) ἀποκόψονται (will emasculate themselves) οἱ (those) ἀναστατοῦντες
(upsetting) ὑμᾶς (you).
13 Ὑμεῖς (You) γὰρ (for) ἐπ’ (to) ἐλευθερίᾳ (freedom) ἐκλήθητε (were called), ἀδελφοί (brothers);
μόνον (but) μὴ (not) τὴν (the) ἐλευθερίαν (freedom) εἰς (for) ἀφορμὴν (an opportunity) τῇ (to the)
σαρκί (flesh). ἀλλὰ (Rather) διὰ (through) τῆς (-) ἀγάπης (love), δουλεύετε (serve) ἀλλήλοις (one
another).
14 ὁ (-) γὰρ (For) πᾶς (the entire) νόμος (Law) ἐν (in) ἑνὶ (one) λόγῳ (word) πεπλήρωται (is fulfilled)
ἐν (in) τῷ (this): “Ἀγαπήσεις (You shall love) τὸν (the) πλησίον (neighbor) σου (of you) ὡς (as)
σεαυτόν (yourself).”
15 εἰ (If) δὲ (however) ἀλλήλους (one another) δάκνετε (you bite) καὶ (and) κατεσθίετε (devour),
βλέπετε (take heed), μὴ (lest) ὑπ’ (by) ἀλλήλων (one another) ἀναλωθῆτε (you might be consumed).
16 Λέγω (I say) δέ (now), Πνεύματι (by the Spirit) περιπατεῖτε (walk), καὶ (and) ἐπιθυμίαν (the desire)
σαρκὸς (of the flesh) οὐ (no) μὴ (not) τελέσητε (you should gratify).
17 ἡ (The) γὰρ (for) σὰρξ (flesh) ἐπιθυμεῖ (desires), κατὰ (against) τοῦ (the) Πνεύματος (Spirit), τὸ (-)
δὲ (and) Πνεῦμα (the Spirit) κατὰ (against) τῆς (the) σαρκός (flesh); ταῦτα (these) γὰρ (for) ἀλλήλοις
(to one another) ἀντίκειται (are opposed), ἵνα (in order) μὴ (not) ἃ (that) ἐὰν (if) θέλητε (you might
wish) ταῦτα (those things) ποιῆτε (you should do).
18 εἰ (If) δὲ (however) Πνεύματι (the Spirit) ἄγεσθε (you are led by), οὐκ (not) ἐστὲ (you are)
ὑπὸ (under) νόμον (the Law).
19 Φανερὰ (Evident) δέ (now) ἐστιν (are) τὰ (the) ἔργα (works) τῆς (of the) σαρκός (flesh), ἅτινά
(which) ἐστιν (are) πορνεία (sexual immorality), ἀκαθαρσία (impurity), ἀσέλγεια (sensuality),
20 εἰδωλολατρία (idolatry), φαρμακεία (sorcery), ἔχθραι (enmities), ἔρις (strife), ζῆλος (jealousy),
θυμοί (outbursts of anger), ἐριθεῖαι (contentions), διχοστασίαι (dissensions), αἱρέσεις (factions),
21 φθόνοι (envyings), μέθαι (drunkennesses), κῶμοι (carousing), καὶ (and) τὰ (things) ὅμοια (like)
τούτοις (these), ἃ (as to which) προλέγω (I forewarn) ὑμῖν (you), καθὼς (even as) προεῖπον (I warned
before), ὅτι (that) οἱ (those) τὰ (such) τοιαῦτα (things) πράσσοντες (doing), βασιλείαν (kingdom) ΘC
(God’s) οὐ (not) κληρονομήσουσιν (will inherit).
22 Ὁ (-) δὲ (But) καρπὸς (the fruit) τοῦ (of the) Πνεύματός (Spirit) ἐστιν (is) ἀγάπη (love), χαρά (joy),
εἰρήνη (peace), μακροθυμία (patience), χρηστότης (kindness), ἀγαθωσύνη (goodness), πίστις
(faithfulness),
23 πραΰτης (gentleness), ἐγκράτεια (self-control); κατὰ (against) τῶν (things) τοιούτων (such), οὐκ
(no) ἔστιν (there is) νόμος (law).
24 Οἱ (Those) δὲ (now) τοῦ (-) XC IC, τὴν (the) σάρκα (flesh) ἐσταύρωσαν (have crucified) σὺν (with)
τοῖς (its) παθήμασιν (passions) καὶ (and) ταῖς (-) ἐπιθυμίαις (desires).
25 Εἰ (If) ζῶμεν (we live) Πνεύματι (by the Spirit), Πνεύματι (by the Spirit) καὶ (also) στοιχῶμεν (we
should walk).
26 μὴ (Not) γινώμεθα (we should become) κενόδοξοι (boastful), ἀλλήλους (one another)
προκαλούμενοι (provoking), ἀλλήλοις (one another) φθονοῦντες (envying).
6:1 Ἀδελφοί (Brothers), ἐὰν (if) καὶ (even) προλημφθῇ (should be overcome) ἄνθρωπος (a man) ἔν (in)
τινι (some) παραπτώματι (trespass), ὑμεῖς (you), οἱ (the) πνευματικοὶ (spiritual ones), καταρτίζετε
(restore) τὸν (-) τοιοῦτον (such a one) ἐν (in) πνεύματι (a spirit) πραΰτητος (of gentleness), σκοπῶν
(considering) σεαυτόν (yourself), μὴ (lest) καὶ (also) σὺ (you) πειρασθῇς (be tempted).
2 Ἀλλήλων (One another’s) τὰ (-) βάρη (burdens) βαστάζετε (bear you), καὶ (and) οὕτως (thus)
ἀναπληρώσετε (you shall fulfill) τὸν (the) νόμον (law) τοῦ (-) XC.
3 εἰ (If) γὰρ (for) δοκεῖ (thinks himself) τις (anyone) εἶναί (to be) τι (something), μηδὲν (nothing) ὤν
(being), φρεναπατᾷ (he deceives) ἑαυτόν (himself).
4 Τὸ (-) δὲ (But) ἔργον (the work) ἑαυτοῦ (of himself) δοκιμαζέτω (test) ἕκαστος (each), καὶ (and) τότε
(then) εἰς (as to) ἑαυτὸν (himself) μόνον (alone), τὸ (the) καύχημα (ground of boasting) ἕξει (he will
have), καὶ (and) οὐκ (not) εἰς (as to) τὸν (-) ἕτερον (another).
5 ἕκαστος (Each) γὰρ (for) τὸ (-) ἴδιον (his own) φορτίον (load) βαστάσει (shall bear).
6 Κοινωνείτω (Let share) δὲ (now) ὁ (the one) κατηχούμενος (being taught) τὸν (in the) λόγον (word),
τῷ (with the one) κατηχοῦντι (teaching), ἐν (in) πᾶσιν (all) ἀγαθοῖς (good things).
7 Μὴ (Not) πλανᾶσθε (be misled); ΘC (God) οὐ (not) μυκτηρίζεται (is mocked). ὃ (Whatever) γὰρ
(for) ἐὰν (if) σπείρῃ (might sow) ἄνθρωπος (a man), τοῦτο (that) καὶ (also) θερίσει (he will reap).
8 ὅτι (For) ὁ (the one) σπείρων (sowing) εἰς (to) τὴν (the) σάρκα (flesh) ἑαυτοῦ (of himself), ἐκ (from)
τῆς (the) σαρκὸς (flesh) θερίσει (will reap) φθοράν (decay). ὁ (The one) δὲ (however) σπείρων
(sowing) εἰς (to) τὸ (the) Πνεῦμα (Spirit), ἐκ (from) τοῦ (the) Πνεύματος (Spirit) θερίσει (will reap)
ζωὴν (life) αἰώνιον (eternal).
9 Τὸ (-) δὲ (And) καλὸν (in well) ποιοῦντες (doing), μὴ (not) ἐνκακῶμεν (we should grow weary);
καιρῷ (in time) γὰρ (for) ἰδίῳ (due), θερίσομεν (we will reap a harvest) μὴ (not) ἐκλυόμενοι (giving
up).
10 Ἄρα (So) οὖν (then), ὡς (as) καιρὸν (occasion) ἔχομεν* (we have), ἐργαζώμεθα (we should work)
τὸ (-) ἀγαθὸν (good) πρὸς (toward) πάντας (all), μάλιστα (especially) δὲ (now) πρὸς (toward) τοὺς
(those) οἰκείους (of the household) τῆς (of the) πίστεως (of faith).
11 Ἴδετε (See) πηλίκοις (in how large) ὑμῖν (to you) γράμμασιν (letters) ἔγραψα (I have written) τῇ
(with) ἐμῇ (my own) χειρί (hand).
12 Ὅσοι (As many as) θέλουσιν (wish) εὐπροσωπῆσαι (to have a fair appearance) ἐν (in) σαρκί (the
flesh), οὗτοι (these) ἀναγκάζουσιν (compel) ὑμᾶς (you) περιτέμνεσθαι (to be circumcised), μόνον
(only) ἵνα (that) τῷ (for the) σταυρῷ (stake) τοῦ (-) XC μὴ (not) διώκωνται (they might be persecuted).
13 οὐδὲ (Not even) γὰρ (for) οἱ (those) περιτεμνόμενοι (being circumcised) αὐτοὶ (themselves) νόμον
(the Law) φυλάσσουσιν (keep), ἀλλὰ (but) θέλουσιν (they desire) ὑμᾶς (you) περιτέμνεσθαι (to be
circumcised), ἵνα (so that) ἐν (in) τῇ (-) ὑμετέρᾳ (your) σαρκὶ (flesh) καυχήσωνται (they may boast).
14 Ἐμοὶ (For me) δὲ (however), μὴ (never) γένοιτο (may it be) καυχᾶσθαι (to boast), εἰ (if) μὴ (never)
ἐν (in) τῷ (the) σταυρῷ (cross) τοῦ (of the) KC (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) IC XC, δι’ (through) οὗ (which)
ἐμοὶ (to me) κόσμος (the cosmos) ἐσταύρωται (has been crucified), κἀγὼ (and I) κόσμῳ (to the
cosmos).
15 οὔτε (Neither) γὰρ (for) περιτομή (circumcision) τί (anything) ἐστιν (is), οὔτε (nor) ἀκροβυστία
(uncircumcision); ἀλλὰ (instead) καινὴ (a new) κτίσις (creation).
16 Καὶ (And) ὅσοι (as many as) τῷ (those who) κανόνι (rule) τούτῳ (by this) στοιχήσουσιν (will walk),
εἰρήνη (peace be) ἐπ’ (upon) αὐτοὺς (them), καὶ (and) ἔλεος (mercy); καὶ (and) ἐπὶ (upon) τὸν (the)
Ἰσραὴλ (Israel) τοῦ (-) ΘC (of God).
17 Τοῦ (The) λοιποῦ (henceforth), κόπους (troubles) μοι (to me) μηδεὶς (no one) παρεχέτω (let give);
ἐγὼ (I) γὰρ (for) τὰ (the) στίγματα (marks) τοῦ (-) IC ἐν (on) τῷ (of the) σώματί (body) μου (of me)
βαστάζω (bear).
18 Ἡ (The) χάρις (Gift) τοῦ (of the) KC (Lord) ἡμῶν (of us) IC XC μετὰ (be with) τοῦ (the) πνεύματος
(spirit) ὑμῶν (of you), ἀδελφοί (brothers). Ἀμήν (Amen).
Galatians.pdf
(69.3 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Hi Lane,

You say "Romans has much original Paulos and I suspect that Galatians has none at all," but I'm not sure on what basis.

Of course, you know that I can make quite a bit of themes in these texts of these two books even when the "christ" language (where Jesus is portrayed as functioning as a divine redeemer) is removed and set aside. I like to think that the grammar of each class demonstrates particular characteristics, but I cannot claim to be an expert in ancient Greek.

I forget whether you think that IS (Jesus) was really a kind of mythic god of times past that was fleshed out in the Pauline letters, possibly influenced by a real man (Paul), or you are now in the Marcionite origins camp?

In my 'has-to-be-wrong' POV, a real Paul was not associated in any way with any Jesus movement (however defined), but had his own agenda to be inclusive towards gentiles who revered the Judean god, which removed any requirements that they accept circumcision or Mosaic law observance. They can inherit, along with natural born Judeans, the God-promised land of plenty when it is realized. I think that there might be a resurrection so he is thinking of an end-times promise land fulfillment. I can't rule out the possibility that "lord/kyrios" might at times refer to the lord of the household he was a retainer for. Most of the time "lord/kurios" refers to Jesus Christ, the divine redeemer figure.

The IS/Jesus movement, which I have theorized developed from real gentile-proselyte Jesus followers who took things in a completely new direction after the social disruptions caused by the war of 66-74 CE forced them to redefine Jesus/IS as not the Jewish king messiah, but a divine redeemer.

In a later later time (maybe the final decade of the 1st century CE) one of these Jesus/IS divine redeemer followers saw the remnants of the Paul gentile-inclusiveness movement as potential allies with them, if properly instructed about IS/Jesus of course.

IMO, he or she located literary remnants of this Paul. This person then created a commentary on them (in the margins) that demonstrates the much much much better idea of IS/Jesus as a divine redeemer. It was probably an informal thing at first. The editors behind the form in which the letters were published, possibly by Polycarp of Smyrna in mid to early 2nd century CE, had incorporated the commentary into the original letters, although not very artfully, IMHO.

That is a diachronic view with several stages of development, which is not altogether implausible.

What basis were you using to conclude there's nothing there? Maybe sketch out the development of your ideas with some examples of things that influenced your view.

Thanks!

DCH
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

DCHindley wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:07 am Hi Lane,

You say "Romans has much original Paulos and I suspect that Galatians has none at all," but I'm not sure on what basis.

Of course, you know that I can make quite a bit of themes in these texts of these two books even when the "christ" language (where Jesus is portrayed as functioning as a divine redeemer) is removed and set aside. I like to think that the grammar of each class demonstrates particular characteristics, but I cannot claim to be an expert in ancient Greek.

I forget whether you think that IS (Jesus) was really a kind of mythic god of times past that was fleshed out in the Pauline letters, possibly influenced by a real man (Paul), or you are now in the Marcionite origins camp?

In my 'has-to-be-wrong' POV, a real Paul was not associated in any way with any Jesus movement (however defined), but had his own agenda to be inclusive towards gentiles who revered the Judean god, which removed any requirements that they accept circumcision or Mosaic law observance. They can inherit, along with natural born Judeans, the God-promised land of plenty when it is realized. I think that there might be a resurrection so he is thinking of an end-times promise land fulfillment. I can't rule out the possibility that "lord/kyrios" might at times refer to the lord of the household he was a retainer for. Most of the time "lord/kurios" refers to Jesus Christ, the divine redeemer figure.

The IS/Jesus movement, which I have theorized developed from real gentile-proselyte Jesus followers who took things in a completely new direction after the social disruptions caused by the war of 66-74 CE forced them to redefine Jesus/IS as not the Jewish king messiah, but a divine redeemer.

In a later later time (maybe the final decade of the 1st century CE) one of these Jesus/IS divine redeemer followers saw the remnants of the Paul gentile-inclusiveness movement as potential allies with them, if properly instructed about IS/Jesus of course.

IMO, he or she located literary remnants of this Paul. This person then created a commentary on them (in the margins) that demonstrates the much much much better idea of IS/Jesus as a divine redeemer. It was probably an informal thing at first. The editors behind the form in which the letters were published, possibly by Polycarp of Smyrna in mid to early 2nd century CE, had incorporated the commentary into the original letters, although not very artfully, IMHO.

That is a diachronic view with several stages of development, which is not altogether implausible.

What basis were you using to conclude there's nothing there? Maybe sketch out the development of your ideas with some examples of things that influenced your view.

Thanks!

DCH
Hi David! Been a while 😃

I'm actually in the process of outlining a general sketch of my current opinions concerning these letters attributed to Paul, it's why I am doing these current posts. So far I'm concentrating on removing as much obvious looking cruft from the letters as seems reasonable based on what modern scholars feel is reasonable. I need rely on their opinions as my command of Greek is rudimentary at best, but I am learning, and studying the letters as I have posted them helps increase my understanding of the language.

Frankly, I have no idea what IC XC is so I am just leaving it alone for now and it's perfectly possible that I will never come to a satisfactory conclusion of these abbreviations. While I suspect that at least XC was an abbreviation for Xrestos (and this does seem to be born out with the data) I am resistant to pronounce it as a factual given. I am even more reticent about the abbreviation IC.

What Paul is talking about is what I hope to have a better understanding of, if that's even possible.
I'm trying not to let any pet theorys or preconceived ideas interfere with that quest.

Always good to talk with you and I hope you continue to contribute to this conversation.

Lane
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Oh, and as to your first question, it's just that at this current stage I personally feel that Romans has at least a small core of material written by a person who calls himself Paulos but I am not as sanguine about Galatians.

Perhaps my opinion will change as I continue to study the material, we'll just have to wait and see. :cheers:
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

I just recall you had posted in the threads about IS & XS et al. I believe that abbreviations of nomina sacra were employed pretty early in the transmission history, but I believe there has been no serious attempt to see them as anything other than abbreviations for key words, perhaps to keep the eyes of the curious outsider from figuring out this was talk about Jesus Christ, whom the authorities saw as a political threat and who was crucified as a rebel. I am not aware of anyone publishing a critical article or a monograph suggesting that this was a secret code for something else entirely.

By the time that Christians were copying the NT as we have it (again, early to mid 2nd century CE) they had long abandoned the political Jesus as messiah, and replaced him with Jesus the divine redeemer. Later authorities, especially Origen and onwards, called this figure "the Christ of God." No sense stirring up embers from that long forgotten time, just encode it to keep questions down to a minimum from the local authorities and change the discourse to one more suitable for that of a mystery religion.

Keep on pluggin', Lane!

BTW, where did you get that Greek (English) word for word? There is unfortunately no good way to present interlinear translations, as websites can get the screen version of the translation to format, but just try to print it. It seems that someone somewhere owns the copyright for that particular *printed* format who does not want it used publicly. It can be imitated electronically, but only with tons of editing work. Funny thing is, this might just be a restriction for NT translations, as the interlinear format has been used since the late 18th - early 19th century.

I saw that Mr Linnsen is also using that format as well. It is not a true interlinear, but it may have to do for the time being.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

DCHindley wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:40 pm I just recall you had posted in the threads about IS & XS et al. I believe that abbreviations of nomina sacra were employed pretty early in the transmission history, but I believe there has been no serious attempt to see them as anything other than abbreviations for key words, perhaps to keep the eyes of the curious outsider from figuring out this was talk about Jesus Christ, whom the authorities saw as a political threat and who was crucified as a rebel. I am not aware of anyone publishing a critical article or a monograph suggesting that this was a secret code for something else entirely.

By the time that Christians were copying the NT as we have it (again, early to mid 2nd century CE) they had long abandoned the political Jesus as messiah, and replaced him with Jesus the divine redeemer. Later authorities, especially Origen and onwards, called this figure "the Christ of God." No sense stirring up embers from that long forgotten time, just encode it to keep questions down to a minimum from the local authorities and change the discourse to one more suitable for that of a mystery religion.

Keep on pluggin', Lane!

BTW, where did you get that Greek (English) word for word? There is unfortunately no good way to present interlinear translations, as websites can get the screen version of the translation to format, but just try to print it. It seems that someone somewhere owns the copyright for that particular *printed* format who does not want it used publicly. It can be imitated electronically, but only with tons of editing work. Funny thing is, this might just be a restriction for NT translations, as the interlinear format has been used since the late 18th - early 19th century.

I saw that Mr Linnsen is also using that format as well. It is not a true interlinear, but it may have to do for the time being.
I personally don't think that, if a historical Paulos was using the abbreviations IC XC at all, that it was code for anything, but rather just abbreviations for convenience to an audience that knew full well what IC XC stood for. That's my opinion of course and we have no way to know for sure with the material that we have, which is why I elect to just leave it be. All our material has IC XC, and that's just that.

The Greek/English word for word is from the Berean Interlinear Bible that you can download from here https://interlinearbible.com/

I just cut and paste into a text editor and or a word processor program like Libra office. No doubt, I am violating copyright but until I get a cease and desist I'll keep on. I have no intention of any kind of monetary gain so I seriously doubt that I'm on anybody's radar. ;)
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

lclapshaw wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:43 pmThe Greek/English word for word is from the Berean Interlinear Bible that you can download from here https://interlinearbible.com/

I just cut and paste into a text editor and or a word processor program like Libra office. No doubt, I am violating copyright but until I get a cease and desist I'll keep on. I have no intention of any kind of monetary gain so I seriously doubt that I'm on anybody's radar. ;)
I think all they (The Berean Bible folks) want is an attribution something like "Book of Galatians From Berean Bible Interlinear at www.blabla.com." More traditional copyright holders, like academic presses, prefer that any quotes be less then 100 words (fair use) or else permission is supposed to be sought from the copyright holder. Problem with that is that non professional academics of our ilk that professional academic presses almost never respond to the requests. One fellow over at either CrossTalk2 or one of the two Synoptic-L lists started wording his follow-up requests to say something like "If you do not respond to this, my X request, in 10 business days, I will assume that permission has been granted."

SA has this habit of quoting long sections of original language texts (transcription errors and all) without saying where he got them from. I ignore every one that has no source cited. Don't make me ignore your posts too ... :cheeky:
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

DCHindley wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:09 pm
lclapshaw wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:43 pmThe Greek/English word for word is from the Berean Interlinear Bible that you can download from here https://interlinearbible.com/

I think all they (The Berean Bible folks) want is an attribution something like "Book of Galatians From Berean Bible Interlinear at www.blabla.com." More traditional copyright holders, like academic presses, prefer that any quotes be less then 100 words (fair use) or else permission is supposed to be sought from the copyright holder. Problem with that is that non professional academics of our ilk that professional academic presses almost never respond to the requests. One fellow over at either CrossTalk2 or one of the two Synoptic-L lists started wording his follow-up requests to say something like "If you do not respond to this, my X request, in 10 business days, I will assume that permission has been granted."

SA has this habit of quoting long sections of original language texts (transcription errors and all) without saying where he got them from. I ignore every one that has no source cited. Don't make me ignore your posts too ... :cheeky:
Of course, I am happy to comply with such a reasonable request. I will note my source from now on. :cheers:

Lane