When People Imagine Jesus Had Existence Do They Really Think He Would Have Relevance Today?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
iskander

Re: When People Imagine Jesus Had Existence Do They Really Think He Would Have Relevance Today?

Post by iskander »

Could you explain this?, please
Giuseppe wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:05 am According to Hector Avalos, even if Jesus existed and was remembered perfectly by the Gospels, his morality is bad on many points from a modern POV, ergo that hypothetical Historical Jesus would continue to be not relevant even under these conditions.
Secret Alias

Re: When People Imagine Jesus Had Existence Do They Really Think He Would Have Relevance Today?

Post by Secret Alias »

That's a subjective argument Giuseppe.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Hey John T. Enjoy having your idealized criminal in chief as president while it lasts. Looks like Flynn flipped https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status ... 2996813824. This American situation epitomizes the death of Christian values. The Platonic core of the original doctrine has all but disappeared. Now it's little more than an American Mithraic cult, the faith of soldiers and their fanbase. Modern American Christianity ('Americ-anity') at least to my exposure has very little - almost nothing - to do with 'the Good' or the greater good any longer. Mostly obsessed with defeating enemies of God, religion or 'the faith' (however defined). In fact the American obsession with sports gives it the impression as a development of college football rivalry between it and Islam. Religion reducible to two fan bases going into a blood sport conference final. Sad because I actually have a soft spot for Christian values. The Christian good = the Good IMHO. Christianity has a central place in the advancement of the species. Christianity made humanity better.

I truly don't see how our President is compatible with 'the Good' in any way, shape or form. I don't get how that doesn't matter. If we stop striving after the Good and goodness we fall into chaos and self-destruction. It's that simple. You can't have 360 million people fighting each other purely guided by self-interest and greed - let alone 8 billion people. It's ridiculous. My worry is how this will all end. He's not going to go down easily. This is going to be a constitutional crisis of epic proportions.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
iskander

Post by iskander »

iskander wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:59 am Could you explain this?, please
Giuseppe wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:05 am According to Hector Avalos, even if Jesus existed and was remembered perfectly by the Gospels, his morality is bad on many points from a modern POV, ergo that hypothetical Historical Jesus would continue to be not relevant even under these conditions.
There is a new thread for this question here :Hector Avalos
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3666
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

John T wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:29 am
So, putting aside the super-natural claims made about Jesus, if Jesus' revolution was successful and the people declared him King, it is likely that his set of ethics and philosophy would still be relevant today and possibly the Temple would never have been destroyed. And by extension, the Jewish nation could have ruled the middle-east from that day forward.

To me the question of the O.P. was a snipe to suggest people who believed in a historical Jesus are working out of their imagination and not grounded in reality/history, therefore they are being delusional. Rather, the question should be: Imagine if Jesus did become King, would his dynasty have relevance today?

My view is yes.
The Pagan poet Rutilius Namatianus hoped that the Judaea was never ''capta'':
And would that Judaea had never been subdued by Pompey's wars and Titus' military power. The infection of this plague [Christianity], though excised, still creeps abroad the more: and 'tis their own conquerors that a conquered race keeps down
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/e/r ... text*.html

...just in order to make the news about Jesus not relevant for the gentile world! :wtf:
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.